PDA

View Full Version : 10 Things to Hate About the PSP & DS

wraggster
March 24th, 2007, 23:31
via modojo (http://modojo.com/features/20070322/216/10_things_i_hate_about_you/)

5 Things I Hate About the DS:

1. Quirky titles - I like quirky games and innovation just as much as the next guy. I love digital comic-type graphic adventures. Warioware Touched is genuinely fun for about 45 minutes. It's just that, sometimes, I want to play an adrenaline-fueled racer or a baseball game. Unfortunately, if that's your cup of tea, you may be sorely disappointed. Nintendo's handheld entry offers unparalleled panache - but not as much palpitation.

2. Flimsy D-Pad - You know how when you try to play the PS2 demo kiosk at Wal-Mart, and the directional pad is all sluggish and flattened out because little kids have been pounding on it every day for the last five years? Well that's how my DS Lite's d-pad felt the second I took it out of the box.

3. Friend codes -Friend codes are supposed to be the gaming equivalent of Facebook, only in Nintendo's version, when someone tries to add you to their friends list, the system doesn't bother to tell you. Ditto when you try to add someone to yours. What is the purpose of these pesky codes? Nobody's going to track down and kidnap your kid via an online Mario Kart match unless he willingly gives out his home address to a total stranger, and if he's stupid enough to do that, you're probably already trying to have another kid to replace him anyway.

4. Half-assed touchscreen functions - The touchscreen is an incredibly innovative interface option, but I wish developers would either use it well or feel free to chuck it. I definitely wouldn't mind an otherwise good game that didn't use the touch capability, if the touchscreen would only serve as essentially a fifth button.

5. The boxy shape - The smooth, angular design is a triumph for modernist minimalism and orthopedic surgeons, because contorting my hands to comfortably place all the buttons at my fingertips leaves me with a wicked case of carpal tunnel syndrome.

5 Things I Hate About the PSP:

1. Required firmware updates - Of course, firmware can be a godsend when it fixes a serious problem or adds new and improved functionality. Between these big updates, however, are a LOT of smaller, incremental ones designed solely to keep up with the newest method of hacking the PSP. This means that you have to update the firmware about once every three minutes to play the newest games, which is just plain infuriating. I wish I knew exactly how much total time I've spent from v1.5 watching the little firmware installation progress indicator bar and having a heart attack every time it freezes and I think it has bricked my system. Then again, maybe I don't want to know.

2. Price - While it's true that Sony has added a couple of accompaniments to the $250 PSP package over the last few years, the system still technically has never had a price drop in its lifetime. And no, stripping the accessories out of the Value Pack and "reducing" the price to $199 doesn't count. Does Sony even realize that their portable costs the same amount as Nintendo's next-gen home console?

3. Defective pixels - Maybe I just have a vicious case of obsessive-compulsive disorder, but I simply can't stand dead/stuck pixels. I have unwrapped four brand new PSPs in my life, from different stores at different times, and every single one has had at least four defective pixels. Anyone at Sony who tries to tell you that fewer than five bad pixels is not a defect has never tried to play Metal Gear Solid with a line of three red pixels smack in the middle of the screen. I know it's common, and I know the PSP screen has a relatively high resolution, but if the company that makes my cheapo LCD monitor can make a display with no blemishes, so can Sony.

4. Load times - Life is all about tradeoffs, and this is especially true of the PSP. The UMD format offers vast storage space in a compact size, but the reliance on optical disc technology means waiting and waiting and waiting for data to load. It's hard to fault Sony for bringing impressive technology to the consumer, but that's little consolation when you're waiting four minutes for the drive to load WWE Smackdown and realize during that time you just outgrew your faux-wrestling phase.

5. The analog nub - Is there anything good about this thing?

SSaxdude
March 24th, 2007, 23:42
I don't really hate much about the DS, but I have many gripes (load times, firmware updates, lack of original games) about the PSP.

SpooForBrains
March 24th, 2007, 23:43
My thoughts:

1. It's nice to see that Sony's incessant patching has impacted those in the mainstream. It's a shame, really, that they're alienating their genuine customers just to crack down on the perceived risks of piracy which could well be entirely spurious in the first place.

2. Can't disagree with this one. The thing is damned expensive, STILL.

3. Maybe I'm lucky, but my PSP has no dead pixels at all that I can see. I imagine I would be pretty pissed off having spent quite a lot of money, to find a fault like this that no one has the intention of fixing. Still, it seems the problem may well be overstated.

4. The load times have never really bothered me, to be honest. I guess I just don't play enough commercial games ot notice :) Aint no load times on GPSP.

5. What's wrong with it? The only problem I have with it is the lack of a sibling which makes control options on the PSP for FPS games very limited.

My biggest problem with the PSP is the UMDs. Due to a poor choice in third party cases, almost all of mine are now broken. The clear plastic bit has started coming away from the white part. They're still playable, but I can't trade my games in and I'm stuck with a bunch of UMDs I probably won't ever play. It's so mindless, because they're only transparent in the first place to look cool. Argh.

On the whole, though, apart from the UMDs, and the lack of a second analogue stick, I don't see what Sony could have done much differently with the PSP to make me happy.

ICE
March 24th, 2007, 23:52
i still dont know why the nub is soo bad.. ive never had any issues with it besides its singularity...

dark heart
March 25th, 2007, 00:13
yer! i hate that analog stick, it would be a clever little thing if it wasn't so delicate, and it really sets me off when I'm playing Mario or something on Daedalus r9 where I'm in a small platform overlooking a sea of lava or something, and i fall cos my analog stick has gone for a little wonder!

jools
March 25th, 2007, 00:21
The analog nub it a bit of a pain because its rough and stiff but its better if you stick some blue tack on it.

Also I've never had any problems with the loading times but I suppose thats just me.

bubba421
March 25th, 2007, 01:26
ive never had any stuck pixels..

Gene
March 25th, 2007, 03:52
ive never had any stuck pixels..

You are a lucky *******.:D

Yeah, the only problem i have with my psp is that dust gets under the screen after time, and i don't feel like tearing away the warranty and cleaning the lcd, then realizing that I just closed the cover with more dust in it than there originaly was. Yeah, i hate that.

animekid4
March 25th, 2007, 04:26
What i hate about the ds and the psp
DS
-pictochat-Could have gone alot farther if nintendo would have put more into it.

-friend codes.pain in the butt.

-microphone-somtimes it doesn't pick up sounds.

PSP
-Internet Sucks.

-You have to convert videos to play them

-possibility of bricking,even without hacking

-One anolog stick,and no R2/L2 button.

Chameleon
March 25th, 2007, 04:38
I think the pros of the PSP overpowers the cons

xg917
March 25th, 2007, 04:53
PSP

1. no dead/stuck pixels for me on my new psp.. yet.
on my old psp i had 1 dead pixel. but its bricked now so who cares..

2. the analog nub isnt dat bad. it only breaks if u **** around with it. so ppl dont go crazy playing a game. if only they had 2 nubs. that would be good...
also no worrys for the mario thing. ST is adding a deadzone configuration for the analog in daedalus R10

3. firmware updates. no big deal. just update god dammit then play

4. umds.... no problem. loading time is ok for me. i never had a game get stuck on me unless it was scratched a little or had smudges on it.

5. 160$ - 170$ are the only reasonable prices in my opinion

DS

1. i dont see anything good about DS.. there are only a few good games for it..
2. controls really suck.. i tried playing mario 64 DS and it just. omggggg it didnt work out for me..
3. no point of touch screen unless you are going to use it through out the whole game. might as well rip the DS in half so that you can use the touch screen more often.
4. chats would be a lot better if they supported it more..

Basil Zero
March 25th, 2007, 06:20
cant say anything about DS cause i dont have one yet

but for psp (this is from the info posted in 1st post but in my view:

1. Required firmware updates - it is a pain considering it blocks u from homebrew and demands u to upgrade or else not play new psp games, hence making people pirate more.

2. Price - from what i hear, and from where i work, its now 200 dollars just for the value and the core will cost about 150 dollars or at least from where i work, smart move considering the fact that the wii costs as much as the original price, but still...200 bucks just for a game system that has some good titles still a bit lacking(especially if u'r poor like me XD).

3. Defective pixels - cant say much except all i heard from other people
because i never had a dead pixel, bought my psp the same week it came out, and its still the first one, never took it back to store at all.

4. Load times - This is true, the load times are hell especially in Breath of Fire III, where there is like a 8 second pause, bugs the crap out of me

5. The analog nub - the analog nub is good for racing games....imo...and for some rpgs. I kinda.like the analog nub(shields from flames from DS fanboys and Blind PSP fanboys)

baracki96
March 25th, 2007, 06:36
I am on my 3rd psp because the screen broke on the first 2. That psp screen needs to be more scratch/dust/destruction proof cause' not havin homebrew for a year wasn't something I enjoyed.
I despised the DS until I found out pokemon diamond/pearl will be a DS exclusive.

Basil Zero
March 25th, 2007, 06:40
I am on my 3rd psp because the screen broke on the first 2. That psp screen needs to be more scratch/dust/destruction proof cause' not havin homebrew for a year wasn't something I enjoyed.
I despised the DS until I found out pokemon diamond/pearl will be a DS exclusive.

its obvious why Pokemon Diamond/pearl will be ds exclusive:cool:

but the reason which made me decide to get a DS, which i will this summer.....or sooner hopefully, is because of pokemon diamond/pearl:thumbup:

oh and Children of Mana and Final Fantasy III:thumbup:

Buddy4point0
March 25th, 2007, 06:54
yea the analog is hard to move and sticks

Paradok
March 25th, 2007, 07:42
Maybe my PSP's D-pad is defective or something, but I actually prefer the analog nub. Not with the original stick mind you, but with a slightly larger third-party stick, it works great. I have far more trouble with the PSP's D-pad. It's fine for most commercial games I've played, but when emulating 2d games that require complex direction combinations to pull off moves, it doesn't work worth a hoot. The DS's D-pad is a litle less comfortable, but at least it doesn't slide and shift when you press it.

Tetris999
March 25th, 2007, 07:58
the nub is easy to use, whatcha talkin bout?

Basil Zero
March 25th, 2007, 08:48
the nub is easy to use, whatcha talkin bout?

its perfect for RPG and Racing games

but not overall

also the d-pad is horrible no doubt about it.:(

Makaveli777
March 25th, 2007, 08:56
I laughed at all the reasons. This person must hate everything.

Veskgar
March 25th, 2007, 09:27
I think the pros of the PSP overpowers the cons

My friend, I must agree! Nothing is perfect. NOTHING! No matter how good something is, it will never be considered perfect. Especially over time.

But I think the PSP for its time is pretty damn perfect for a handheld gaming machine. Even more so if you use it for homebrew.

A lot of my gripes with the PSP can be resolved by spending extra cash. Meaning, extra battery, bigger memory stick, etc.

A lot of stuff can be resolved in future firmware updates but I will never sacrifice homebrew for any SONY official firmware.

Furthermore, my biggest gripes, (load times, battery drainage) are both tackled by playing games off the memory stick instead.

I'm very happy with the PSP and play it far more than I do my DS Lite.

I am going to be so envious when the new version of the PSP is released because I know it will be like a PSP on steroids but without homebrew capabilities. Initially anyway.....

g00gy
March 25th, 2007, 12:00
The PSP has the worst D-Pad ive ever known. Especially with fighting games.

xg917
March 25th, 2007, 17:56
man wut r u talking about. have u used the DS d pad?????????????? damm man
im perfectly fine with my psp because i take care of it. i dont have any protectors for it or anything but its in perfect condition! no scratches on screen. nub is perfect. iono wut u guys r doing to ur psps..

headbanger15
March 25th, 2007, 18:07
I don't have problems in my PSP. My first PSP, It had a darker spot on the LCD. I couldn't get over it. Then I traded for a different one. Then I started getting into the PSP Scene for a bit and discovered some of the craziest things the PSP can do(wifi controller, vnc, daedalus). Now my PSP is my best entertainment. I never had problems with the analog stick, I don't know what ya'll ******* are arguing about, but the analog is fine. an L2/R2 doesn't matter. If Sony made an L2/R2, then wouldn't it be a little hard to put the PSP into your pocket? There is one thing that still bothers me and the PSP, It's the 2nd analog, THERE IS NOT 2nd ANalog! That P/Os me. There is still out beloved loading time in games. Midnight Club 3 was the worst loading time that ever exsisted, but GTA was the fastest. Stuck Pixels, I had 2.

james2150
March 25th, 2007, 20:13
What i hate about the ds and the psp
DS
-pictochat-Could have gone alot farther if nintendo would have put more into it.

-friend codes.pain in the butt.

-microphone-somtimes it doesn't pick up sounds.

PSP
-Internet Sucks.

-You have to convert videos to play them

-possibility of bricking,even without hacking

-One anolog stick,and no R2/L2 button.

god, you guys should be more fortunate for what you have. I mean- be happy there is an internet connection at all before you go criticizing its quality!

JKKDARK
March 25th, 2007, 20:27
When I bought the PSP, the analog stick didn't work -_-

Chameleon
March 25th, 2007, 20:28
god, you guys should be more fortunate for what you have. I mean- be happy there is an internet connection at all before you go criticizing its quality!

Did you think that Sony or nintendo recognizes these peoples gripes to improve upon their products in future releases in the form of the DS lite, or psp firmware upgrades

BlackShark
March 25th, 2007, 23:49
i still dont know why the nub is soo bad.. ive never had any issues with it besides its singularity...

;)