PDA

View Full Version : ANN: ReadMore Alpha, an Ebook Reader for the NDS

wraggster
March 25th, 2007, 00:28
New release from bjoerngiesler (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=12810&sid=347be6b00c8081a3384d7e45520647cd)

Hi,

I'm proud to present the first little app using my DS GUI lib: ReadMore. It's in alpha, but it's enough to look at.

ReadMore is an Ebook Reader with no frills, bells or whistles. It currently has the following features:

o Book-style format; the DS is held on end like a pocket book.
o Only .txt files supported.
o Anti-aliased fonts, changeable per document.
o Three bookmarks per document.
o Last visited document is re-opened on program start.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

XDelusion
March 25th, 2007, 04:11
Cool glad to see someone else is having a crack at this, maybe this player can handle TXT files as well as my GBAMP v2!

deviouscontrol
March 25th, 2007, 06:58
sounds good, will give it a go when i get home :thumbup:

rktboy
March 30th, 2007, 19:34
Healp!

I'm desperate to use this app but it doesn't appear to be working.

I downloaded the app, dldi patched it for my DSX and the app starts fine, but any time I try to load a txt file, it just hangs.

Any suggestions?

chewielogan
April 3rd, 2007, 23:19
this is great. i use it quite a bit. are there any future plans for this? some things i'd like to see are: a better font (the l and the j are wonky), and justified text.

-ryan

kylechu
April 7th, 2007, 19:00
Mine is not working. I patched it, then opened it and it worked! Then I turned it off for the night, and in the morning it didn't work. Any ideas?

Edit: by the way I am using max media dock compact flash version

error2k2
April 12th, 2007, 04:23
I've been testing this and it REALLY has potential. But it just doesn't work properly for me! (using M3 Lite, patched it in all ways possible)

First: The left screen (top screen) remains blank (black). So in other words, I'm missing an entire page everytime i turn a page.

Second: Searching for files with the stylus could be MUCH better.

Thats pretty much it, oh and maybe more bookmarks.

acevampire
July 22nd, 2007, 15:05
Mine is not working. I patched it, then opened it and it worked! Then I turned it off for the night, and in the morning it didn't work. Any ideas?

Edit: by the way I am using max media dock compact flash version

Sorry for the HUGE bump of the topic, but I have the same problem.
For some reason, whenever I click the menu button, it hangs.

I have reformatted, dldi patched it over 3 times, switched from fat to fat32, but nothing is working.

samuelmathis
August 31st, 2007, 04:22
I may be having some of the same problems....I've patched it, and everything runs fine and dandy. But as soon as I touch the screen, it freezes.

I'm using the MAX Media Player, by the way.

Does anyone have any answers?

pariah
September 4th, 2007, 01:12
I'm using it on the R4 and while it works in all other ways, it never remembers internal settings, it's last place in the text or which file was last open. Every time I start it up it loads the "tutorial". Aside from this, I think that this reader has great potential and I would love to see it grow.

p

MFrost42
September 6th, 2007, 10:15
I've been using readmore on a supercard for a while now but all of a sudden it will no longer open to where I left off or even open the same file, it just goes straight into the introduction passage. It also gives an error message when trying to preview the different fonts and won't change from the default. I've tried everything I can think of up to and including removing everything on my card and just keeping the os and the readmore.nds file with the data folder and my .txt files and still no change, does anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Gawker
November 18th, 2007, 20:21
I think if the author of this and the Author of DS Reader got together and collaborated the end result WOULD be the perfect eBook reader.

This one lacks a polished GUI but I like the sideways orientation and the fact he bookmarks work, though I dunno about three colored bookmarks... IMO the overall navigation could use some work as well.

If you take the touch screen page controls and sideways orientation option and add it to the highly polished DS Reader so that you could have it either sideways or upright, WITH the touch control of page turning and fixed the bookmark issues in DS Reader it would be perfect.

Wish I could find contact info for Eddie Park and try to con him out of his source code...

spinal_cord
November 18th, 2007, 21:27
Was DSReader even started? As far as I could tell, it never got past the design stage.

Gawker
November 20th, 2007, 01:11
DSReader was an entry in the GBAX2007 competition. I think you're thinking of Flip which has been talked about and seems to have most of the features I would want but hasn't actually seen the light of day.

http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/ds-reader-68172.html

spinal_cord
November 20th, 2007, 10:28
Thats right, Flip, excellent design but no software.

janitormane
January 13th, 2008, 21:37
bookmarks dont work on ez?

yomismo2576
February 20th, 2008, 15:44
great

JKybett
January 24th, 2009, 16:57
I downloaded this and patched it with DLDIrc to fit G6 Flash and put it on my sister's DS as a birthday present for her (She's a bit of a bookworm and we can't usually afford books :P) but when I run it it comes up with a blank white screen, so (DETERMINED to get it to work) I went through the files, found ReadMore.nds and tried to run it. Same problem. It only worked when I chose "Add Header" (don't know what it's supposed to do) and then it only worked properly on the bottom screen, the top screen went so dark that any and all words are impossible to read.
Anyone else having this problem or know how to fix it?

caoimhe_1504
July 27th, 2009, 18:44
I can't get any files to go on...can anyone talk me through how i put them on maybe i'm not doing it right?

Czezik
March 31st, 2012, 20:54
Let's try it!

7UR7L3
April 5th, 2012, 14:01
I'm a complete noob to these forums and would appreciate some help. Many threads such as these have a download and give feedback via comments. I don't see where te download would be. Thanks.

EDIT: Noob did a fail, ignore this post.