PDA

View Full Version : NeoMD Flash Cart Released - Genesis Flash Cart

wraggster
March 25th, 2007, 03:30
The Neoflash Team have released a new Genesis Flash Cart, now you can relive those classic Genesis games all over again

SPREAD THE WORD

http://digg.com/gaming_news/NeoMD_Genesis_Flash_Cart_Released

Heres a pic of the flash cart and software screen:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/write.gif

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/NEO-MD-6.jpg

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/NEO-MD-3.jpg

Heres the tech specs:

* build in 32M flash,support up to 32M single rom
* re-programable,100,000 times erase/write
* can upload/download and verify the rom from PC
* use printing port to burn
* not need extra power supply

The Genesis Flashcart will be on sale soon at stores like http://www.ic2005.com/

SPREAD THE WORD

http://digg.com/gaming_news/NeoMD_Genesis_Flash_Cart_Released

Roll on when the Nintendo 64 Flash Cart and Snes Flash Carts gets released.

DarthPaul
March 25th, 2007, 03:33
Wow good news. This makes me wonder if they'll be a Sega Genesis emulator for PSP ever...Hm. I don't think so cuz' the Genesis is suppose to be a console as powerful as PS2,Gamecube and so...But it will be good to see something like that.

Junixx
March 25th, 2007, 03:58
Um...wtf? There is a Genesis emulator, you sure you dont mean Dreamcast?

Welshboy
March 25th, 2007, 04:02
Wait? I don't understand.....what exactly does this do and how does it work?

gensuke
March 25th, 2007, 04:02
Actually there are two Genesis emulators for PSP...

Xcliber
March 25th, 2007, 04:03
he must mean SEGA Dreamcast which is much newer than the SEGA Genesis which is an older 16-bit system that is less powerful than the GBA....

wtf... y would u need a flashcart for the Dreamcast lol when it uses CD's????

Thumbs up for the Genesis flash cart though!
Now we can play all the hacks of sonic 1, 2, and 2 beta that are out there on the actual console!
Sonic Megamix v2.0 ftw!

Welshboy
March 25th, 2007, 04:12
Ahhhhh.....i'm more confused? can anyone put it simply for me what this does and how it works?

classicgmr
March 25th, 2007, 04:56
Wow... this would look great in my collection next to my Cuttle Cart(Atari 2600), Intellicart(Intellivision) and Vectrex Multicart! Very nice. :)

robocelot
March 25th, 2007, 04:58
PARALLEL PORT? :eek: :rofl:

Christ, do any PC's made today include parallel ports? What's laughable is that they include a USB lead to provide +5 volts. The flash card and 3.5" disk based copiers for the Genesis/MD made in the mid-90's used parallel ports.

Who do they expect to buy this garbage?

Also, they really need to get someone who understands english to write their press releases.

Junixx
March 25th, 2007, 04:59
Also wasn't one of these released last year?

adyagos
March 25th, 2007, 05:36
Ahhhhh.....i'm more confused? can anyone put it simply for me what this does and how it works?

I think it's a Genesis cartridge that you can write a rom to. So basically, if you have the rom and a Genesis, it can be any game.

dabeastx
March 25th, 2007, 05:51
Wow good news. This makes me wonder if they'll be a Sega Genesis emulator for PSP ever...Hm. I don't think so cuz' the Genesis is suppose to be a console as powerful as PS2,Gamecube and so...But it will be good to see something like that.

i hope you guys weren't being serious... i'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

Yobumtin
March 25th, 2007, 05:52
Haha wooow...I'm pretty sure Darth Paul meant it as a joke. But yeeeuh. That might be pretty cool for people who have genesis. It would be easier just putting it on a psp or laptop and run it to a television. I'm not sure how hard that is to do with a psp. Engh.

DarthPaul
March 25th, 2007, 05:56
Lmao I'm SORRY. :o That was my bad. I just screwed all up as always. Haha,I thought it was the Dreamcast.[I always confuse those two]. It would be cool to have a Dreamcast emulator*.

Edited: I'm always confuse with those because I've never owned one of Sega's consoles.I wasn't a fan of Sega, well..I've always been from the Sony side. All I buy are Sony's consoles. And I'll always will. That's why I put at my Sig "Consoles at Home". Because there are some other non-Sony's consoles at home. But they aren't mine.

irishwhip
March 25th, 2007, 06:08
modded xbox +neogenesis is my choice

baracki96
March 25th, 2007, 06:18
finally, I can dust off my genesis and put it some use. It will feel good to play those games I lost so long ago with genesis controller in hand. I don't know, emulators are great, really, but they are no substitute for the real deal. Oh, I also happen to have an acient packerd-bell computer with Parralell ports so its all good.

punkypine
March 25th, 2007, 06:57
i have a snes, so i might get that, but my laptop doesnt have the parralel ports.... but if it was pure usb and under 30 bucks, i might try a snes one out

Tetris999
March 25th, 2007, 07:55
yeah it looks pretty good

mnuhaily22
March 25th, 2007, 11:06
lol, this rocks in a funny way...dunno why...

SpooForBrains
March 25th, 2007, 11:14
OK, I'm confused. I thought we had a strict anti-piracy stance on this site. This device is pretty much a piracy gateway, right? Assuming we accept even dubious legality of ROMs in some situations, you pretty much have to own the game in question to justify having the ROM, and if that's the case you don't need this.

Yes, it could be used for homebrew, but the original post is not worded that way AT ALL.

Vangar
March 25th, 2007, 12:16
OK, I'm confused. I thought we had a strict anti-piracy stance on this site. This device is pretty much a piracy gateway, right? Assuming we accept even dubious legality of ROMs in some situations, you pretty much have to own the game in question to justify having the ROM, and if that's the case you don't need this.

Yes, it could be used for homebrew, but the original post is not worded that way AT ALL.

Settle man, The custom firmware allows ISOs and we promote that. Not everyone can fork out money for heaps of games, and not everyone can sift ebay for days on end to buy the original carts for megadrive.

You get me a real copy of Altered beast and i'll agree with you.

SpooForBrains
March 25th, 2007, 13:00
The site supports custom firmwares, but makes it very clear that only the homebrew enabling features are to be discussed. Each release comes with a stern "NO ISO TALK" warning. Likewise POPstation. Very popular topic of discussion here, but ONLY using it to rip your own legally owned games, not downloaded ISOs.

Paradok
March 25th, 2007, 13:58

The legality of having a ROM is dependent upon you owning the original cartridge, and one of the functions of having a ROM under those circumstances is to have a back-up of your game should the cartridge become damaged or otherwise unuseable. If you do have a ROM back-up of one of your Genesis games, and if your cartridge does become damaged, this will allow you to continue enjoying your legally purchased commercial game. There, all nice and legal. :thumbup:

starogre
March 25th, 2007, 14:33
Settle man, The custom firmware allows ISOs and we promote that. Not everyone can fork out money for heaps of games, and not everyone can sift ebay for days on end to buy the original carts for megadrive.

You get me a real copy of Altered beast and i'll agree with you.

Are you a freakin moron?! The ISO folder is for UMD backup promotion, to technically put your UMD files onto your memory stick to have more than one game with you at a time. Not so you can say you're too poor to afford anything and download illegal games.

I wasn't going to reply to this thread until I saw how stupid yours was...

SSaxdude
March 25th, 2007, 15:09
I really want one of those. A SNES and N64 flash cart would be nice too.

Xcliber
March 25th, 2007, 15:11
We can use it to play hacks of sonic 1 and 2.
there are a wide variety of them out there.
and i dont know of anyone out there who has a genesis and doesn't have a sonic1 or 2 cartridge!

but that is really the only use i see for this item as there is no Genesis homebrew that i am aware of.

nor is there a practicle use for genesis homebrew these days since u can run a genesis emulator on any of the newer systems, xbox, ps2, gamecube, DS, PSP, PS1, etc.

crypysmoker
March 25th, 2007, 16:51
Niiiiiiiice. I would love one of these.

Whats funny is the amount of hipocracy we have in this thread..
USually the ones to automactily spout off about piracy and all that are either the ones who do it or the ones who cant, so get over yourselves saying this can only be used for piracy.. morons.

Also, whats funny is the amount of people in here talking about it that werent even born when Genesis came out.

I was waiting in line with my parents the day it came out and still have that oroiginal console along witht he one they brought out later "GEnesis 3" so quit your whining children. to some of us this is actually a huge step.
And to the one bitiching about parrelel ports..

1- I just bought a brand new HP Desktop pc and it has a prrrellel port on it.... Its what some priniters and umm.. other system resources use ;).
2. If you really want this and your pc doesnt have on, then you can get over it and instal one or just wait till a smarter then you person comes around and makes an adapter for USB

wolfpack
March 25th, 2007, 19:02
very nice... put my old genesis to use... once i figure out how to hook it up again...

Does anyone know if this will work on the ntsc american genesis, or just the pal megadrive?

mikebeaver
March 25th, 2007, 19:14
2. If you really want this and your pc doesnt have on, then you can get over it and instal one or just wait till a smarter then you person comes around and makes an adapter for USB

Well, I work in an electronics store in England and you CAN buy a USB to parallel adapter, I sold one today, they are pretty pricey at £24.99 in Maplin, but it is manufactured and available in the UK.
On topic, the cart loks good, would be good to have all those games on the Megadrive/ Genesis again, means I dont have to dust off the old games and find the carts at the back of my wardrobe, can just use this instead.

SpooForBrains
March 25th, 2007, 19:36
Whats funny is the amount of hipocracy we have in this thread..
USually the ones to automactily spout off about piracy and all that are either the ones who do it or the ones who cant, so get over yourselves saying this can only be used for piracy.. morons.

Am I to deduce from that that your memory stick is loaded down with warez, then? Yes, thought so. For your information, I am perfectly capable of pirating, I just chose not to. Gotta draw the line somewhere, hm?

My point, though, is that the site has a strict no piracy policy, and I think people need to be reminded occasionally. If PSP ISOs and PSX ISOs are forbidden topics of discussion, then pirating Megadrive games should be as well.

Also, whats funny is the amount of people in here talking about it that werent even born when Genesis came out.

I was waiting in line with my parents the day it came out and still have that oroiginal console along witht he one they brought out later "GEnesis 3" so quit your whining children. to some of us this is actually a huge step.

and you're basing this on what? Your l33t radar or something? I still have my Megadrive from 1992 too, you know.

Fortunately, some people on this thread are contributing sensible homebrew applications for this device, which, need I remind you, is what this site is about.

directive0
March 25th, 2007, 19:45
^Totally agree, I am here to learn about homebrew applications. And in this instance a device that allows me to run downloaded roms on my old genesis is not what is getting me excited.

What excites me is that there is a world of genesis homebrew I NEVER even knew about! Someone wanna fill this noobatron in?

pibs
March 25th, 2007, 20:50
so what does the parallel port do? does it allow to view the console on the pc? if so it would save me in looking for a tv connection cuz id rather have it hooked up to my flat screen.

SpooForBrains
March 25th, 2007, 22:19
Pibster, no, it allows you to "flash" content to the cartridge, and basically take a game ROM and play it on a real live megadrive/genesis.

As for viewing it on your PC, you could get one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEGA-MEGADRIVE-2-AV-LEAD-CABLE-MEGA-DRIVE-2-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ320096811744QQcategoryZ3642QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320096811744

and plug it either into a capture card on your PC, or into a display that supports RCA video in.

robocelot
March 25th, 2007, 22:29
And to the one bitiching about parrelel ports..

1- I just bought a brand new HP Desktop pc and it has a prrrellel port on it.... Its what some priniters and umm.. other system resources use ;)

Fine, show me a printer or scanner currently sold in stores that uses a parallel port. ;)

Why not a SCSI port while you are at it?

Give it a few more years and you'd be hard pressed to find anything but USB, even Firewire is being crushed under USB's massive heel.

Not really the point. It's a lazy excuse for under-engineering a product and trying to pass it off as something new, when there has been a similar modern product out for years. Not to mention that flash memory and SRAM are so cheap these days that charging $80-100 for such a product is way out of line (unless you are expecting to sell only 5 of them, which I suspect will be the case).

Someone else mentioned the Cuttle Cart (Atari 2600), the Intellicart, and VecRam/VecFlash. I own these as well, and yes they use serial and parallel ports but that's like comparing apples to oranges here. These interfaces are made by hobbyists, not mass produced in some Chinese factory and sold for a huge markup. I can excuse a non-USB interface for these because onboard USB slave hardware is expensive in small quantities and as of a few months ago is only starting to drop in price where it's realistic for a hobbyist to use it in a project. For what it's worth, the designer of the VecFlash (Richard Hutchinson) has recently released a USB version. I expect more from so-called 'professionals', not a rehash of the Gameboy flash carts that Bung Enterprises was selling 7 years ago.

As someone else has pointed out in this thread, who is this product supposed to appeal to?

Is it:

a) The pirate who wants to play free copied games?

-- not really, since they will likely use a more convenient emulator anyway. I also won't bring up the P-word again.

b) The purist who refuses to play their backed up ROM's on an emulator, and only wants to play the "real thing"?

-- well, except for the fact that you are playing from a binary ROM, which defeats the original intent anyway.

c) The homebrewer who wants to be able to test code on the real hardware versus an emulator?

--I can accept this but as someone pointed out is there a really huge Genesis/Megadrive hombrew scene that demands such a product? Especially considering that *such a product exists and has existed for years*.

Lastly, waiting for 'someone smarter than you' to cobble together a USB solution for this is like dumping your money down a hole and burying it. The Asian companies that produce flash copiers are notorious for not supporting their products, changing their company names and trying to resell the same old crap under a different brand, and disappearing off the face of the earth at a moments notice. Lots of promises of firmware upgrades and hardware solutions on slick web pages and very little actual advancements.

It makes them more money to sell products to new customers than it is to keep their existing customers happy. There are a few exceptions to this (notably M3) but for the last 15 years that I've been dealing with such companies it's been my experience to expect nothing above and beyond the product as you have it in your hands now.

Chameleon
March 26th, 2007, 10:14
this is kinda sweet....

logicbomb.de
March 26th, 2007, 18:11
What's the big deal about the parallel port interface, anyway?

unless you bought your PC prefab (dell, compaq, etc) changes are you have a parallel port unless you have a SFF pc.

Take a look at New Egg's mobo selection, you'll see that 90% of ALL motherboards still have a parallel port onboard. Even the Core2 boards and quad core exteme, AthlonX2, blah blah blah, they all have LPT ports.

As far as MD homebrew goes, lol, I wouldn't bet on much more than a few intros, demos, PD versions of Tetris and maybe some Sonic/Alex kidd hacks.

personally I'll stick to the neogenesis on the xbox w/ my Saturn controller.

wiredforpower
March 26th, 2007, 21:40
nice....but if I really wanted to use the original Genesis controller I would just look for a converter and play it on the PC. :p

Game_Collector
March 27th, 2007, 09:40
I will be buying this and the SFC one, although there is already 64M versions for both systems available.

As for the question of piracy, some people, like me, prize their game collections and want to keep them safe and in perfect condition. This type of thing is perfect for me. I can keep my mint copies of games like Yu Yu Hakusho, Panarama Cotton, Pulse Man, Vampire Killer, Snow Bros, Ristar etc in their boxes and not touch them while using the ROM via the flash cart instead. It is also perfect for being able to play my old PAL games that will not work on my JP MD and Wondermega because my original Alterred Beast pack MD is packed away and is not touched. Much easier than going through the hassle of getting my JP MD switched.

What about BETA ROMS? People would like to be able to play those BETA games on a real MD system, not to mention translated versions of JP games they may have. Someone may own a Dragon Quest VI cart but want to play it in English, if they have a flascart, they can play it on a REAL system which to people who grew up with these systems, is much preferred over playing on an emulator. There are many good reasons for people to want a flashcart for the MD and SFC, it doesn't always have to be about piracy...

M Dash
April 7th, 2007, 14:22
What the hell men???

Why is everyone speaking of PARALLEL PORT IF THE CARTRIDGE USES A PRINTING PORT!

geez...

I don't get it... Anyways... I WANT ONE OF THESE CARTRIDGES! :P