PDA

View Full Version : SNEmulDS 0.5 alpha! - Snes Emulator for Nintendo DS

wraggster
March 26th, 2007, 01:49
archeide (http://www.snemul.com/ds/) posted a new release of his excellent Snes emulator for the Nintendo DS:

Heres the info.

This time, after sound and CPU, the big update is on graphics side! The graphics engine has been entirely rewritten and should offer a much better look for most games (especially RPG like Chrono Trigger)!

This alpha version also integrate a new configuration file, that allow you to choose the best options for each game.

New GFX engine that support tile address alteration (For RPG games and others)
Faster HDMA (Makes games like Chrono Trigger faster)
Much better line by line engine, which is now the default (Old tile mode is nearly broken in this alpha)
Better transparency support
Other GFX updates: Moved sprites 1 pixel down, Background color alteration by scanlines, fixed 16px tiles flip, better mode 5, better scrolling, new squish method…
Added configuration file support snemul.cfg (no saving support yet in this alpha) that allow specific configuration for each game.
And Thanks to Lestat for making the nice SNEmulDS Icon!

Please take a look in the configuration file, you can change the ROMs directory and other interesting stuff.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

jester13
March 26th, 2007, 01:54
What's the differenve between the two downloads? Can't you just patch it ?__?

jester13
March 26th, 2007, 02:19
This update is awesome. Crono Trigger is basically playable/beatable now. The text doesnt flash which is good. Need to see how Mode7 works for it though first. The only thing that's really left is fixing some graphical stuff and sound

Junixx
March 26th, 2007, 02:25
Zombies Ate My Neighbors broke :(

:Edit:

Whoops, my fault, forgot to patch with DLDI :p

Oh and yes this version is better, I can play ZAMN now with absolutley no tweaking of layers at all :thumbup: Sound could use some more work, but it is for sure better

gruiz3
March 26th, 2007, 02:30
I have the max media player and i have v5 of the emulator, but it will not load the games. Do i have to do anything specific?

DanTheManMS
March 26th, 2007, 02:32
Did you patch with DLDI? Did you put the SNES roms into the folder specified by snemul.cfg ("/SNES" by default)?

gruiz3
March 26th, 2007, 02:38
I'm new to this so, i put the roms and the emulator in a folder labeled roms. Now what do i do or did i screw up already?

DanTheManMS
March 26th, 2007, 02:51
First go to http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DLDI to learn what DLDI is. Then go to http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI to download the tools you need to patch the file. I recommend using the "DLDIrc" program, which will add a patching option to the right-click menu of .nds files. Then put the patched file anywhere on your card, and place your roms in a directory called "SNES" that's on the root of your card. Place snemul.cfg on the root of your card. By opening this file in Notepad, you can change the location of the roms folder from "SNES" to whatever you want.

After some very basic testing, Chrono Trigger appears to be playable! Haven't tested any other games due to lack of time however.

crookedmouth
March 26th, 2007, 02:51
I'm new to this so, i put the roms and the emulator in a folder labeled roms. Now what do i do or did i screw up already?

For now just put the roms in a folder named SNES on the root of your card.

You do need to patch SNEmulDS.nds with the DLDI patch also, of course.

Later on when you feel more comfortable,you can mess with snemul.cfg to change where the roms need to be found by the emulator.

MasterMan
March 26th, 2007, 02:54

Open SNEMUL.CFG in notepad and change:
ROMPath=/SNES
to:
ROMPath=/roms

gruiz3
March 26th, 2007, 03:12
Thank you all for the help i got it woking, its way easier than i thought. Thank you guys again. Some games might not run right?

DanTheManMS
March 26th, 2007, 03:16
Right, compatibility still isn't all that great yet. Check http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List for a partial listing (though that's outdated now that this new version is out), and also look at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_games_with_special_chips for a listing of games that definitely will not work due to the use of coprocessors.

metroplex2k7
March 26th, 2007, 03:54
the first guy said the text in CTrigger has been fixed, what other RPG games has the flickering text been fixed in?

skipboris
March 26th, 2007, 07:40
made my day with this update. Keep those precious updates coming!

souLLy
March 26th, 2007, 07:41
this continues to be amazing, I've only tested it with one game so far but the only thing previously wrong with it was a minor layer graphic issue that's now disappeared. Fantastic stuff :)

HaTaX
March 26th, 2007, 07:45
0.5 is much better then the previous release. I wanted this to keep Mario2 and 3 with me instead of keeping GBA carts around (I have a M3 Simply) and previously the Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World didn't work well at all, now it's much much better and even borderline playable.

Looks great! Keep the work coming, huge appreciation from here....

jester13
March 26th, 2007, 11:44
Nvm I dont think Crono Trigger is beatable afterall... can this thing support mode 7?

Carn
March 26th, 2007, 16:17
E.V.O. Works all but perfect now! Only problem I have is that now Umihara Kawase looks more glitched than before. If ya don't know what that is then look it up...one of the best SNES games out there and since there's no text in the game it doesn't matter that it's a Japanese game.

jackal27
March 26th, 2007, 22:10
I can't get it to work on my Max Media Player, it keeps telling me it can't find the directory, but I haven't moved the directory at all, it's still SNES at the root of my Media Player.

crookedmouth
March 27th, 2007, 00:15
I can't get it to work on my Max Media Player, it keeps telling me it can't find the directory, but I haven't moved the directory at all, it's still SNES at the root of my Media Player.

You DLDI patched SNEmulDS.nds?

Also I believe snemul.cfg and SNEmulDS.nds should be in a folder named SNEmulDS in the root of your card.

DanTheManMS
March 27th, 2007, 00:17
Wrong on both accounts, crookedmouth. snemul.cfg needs to be on the root of your card, while SNEmulDS.nds can be anywhere. Roms go into the "SNES" folder on the root of your card by default, but this can be changed by editing the snemul.cfg file.

crookedmouth
March 27th, 2007, 00:25
That is strange because thats how I have it set up on my MMD, lol. I just dragged the folder in the zip file over to my cf card and patched the nds file within. I left all my roms in the SNES folder. Perhaps the default folder is still hard coded?

thefuteam
March 27th, 2007, 02:02
how exactly do you patch it it with the DLDI thing on the Max Media Player? I really want this to work

DanTheManMS
March 27th, 2007, 02:34
See the stickied topic in this forum for information about DLDI patching and how to do it.

toymin80r
March 27th, 2007, 03:12
On the games i play (mainly street fighter and DK:C), they seems to have a lot more problems than the past version. They go way too fast, or way too slow. Ive tried all the possible settings, but found that the past version was far more superior than this. I just hope it'll get better later on.

metroplex2k7
March 27th, 2007, 06:05
I tried FF4(2) no flickering text, sometimes graphics glitch, just hit debug to clear it. FF5 is ok, FF6(3) flickering text is gone, but graphics glitch. soulblazer froze, mario all stars + world and zelda 3 seemed great. will test more later. Keep up the good work guys, if you can get this baby near 100% you can start on a good nes emu. Gba maybe? ;)

JushinLiger
March 27th, 2007, 10:53
Played Zelda: LTTP and the name entry screen isn't half as glitchy. Very nice.

Zarigis
March 29th, 2007, 07:20
It corrupted the filesystem on my SC:miniSD. :(.

hmong
March 29th, 2007, 14:11
Can't wait to try this! I thought SNEmulDS 0.4 was decent, but this looks awesome from what people are posting!

DanTheManMS
March 30th, 2007, 01:37
Keep in mind it's an Alpha, so there are things that need to be improved. For instance, since the line-by-line engine is now used by default, every game has been slowed down a bit. Sometimes you can adjust the settings to fix this, while other times you can't. I keep v0.4 on my card for most games and use this new alpha for the games that need it (Chrono Trigger, U.N. Squadron, etc).

Tripsk8er333
March 30th, 2007, 05:00
Do you think it is possble to make a 2-player Wifi or DS Download Controller conection for the games? And if the WIFI is able to do, could you make it were other people online could use the 2nd palayer controller for the games?

Shejken
March 31st, 2007, 15:40
Is there no way to patch this for a DS-X?
It runs to fast on my DS-X :(

And I cant save either!

Sonny_Jim
March 31st, 2007, 18:00
Regarding a two player controller option, you'd need to have the second ds flashed, as noone has worked out what the RSA key is, someone has made an application that can transfer .nds files via DS Download Play. Also if you want to play without a wireless router you'll need to work out how NiFi works, which noone has yet.

DanTheManMS
March 31st, 2007, 22:26
Shejken, go to the options and change No Vblank to Wait Vblank to set a hard limit at 100%. This will likely slow the game down too much though, so then mess with speedhacks until you get back up to 100%. If the game still runs too slowly, then try running it in v0.4 Final instead, as this release uses the line-by-line engine by default which is considerably slower, while the Tile engine of v0.4 Final is relatively faster.

For saving, first save in-game and then click the Save SRAM button. If this doesn't work on the DS-X then I'm not sure what to tell you.

error101290
April 2nd, 2007, 04:30
Still can't figure out why it reformats my micro sd after choosing switch roms, and is it possible to save your game, i use a super card lite any ideas thanks

EVILMARIO23
April 2nd, 2007, 22:18
help me!!!! how do you save on nesds? i have the latest version (the one that HAS save enabled on it) of nesds and the roms work perfectly but if i tap 'save state' nothing happens. If i tap 'save sram' it says 'saved' but if i reset the game nothing is saved! i'm a learning newbie at this so help would good. I am using games n music with a 1gb micro san disk card. Thanks in advanced.

metroplex2k7
April 3rd, 2007, 22:28
Hey DantheManMS, may I ask what settings you use for Ctrigger and UN Squad? I can't get mine right. Oh, I notice that a few games that played good on the last release aren't so good on this one (ie: Ys 4, super bomberman, and Soulblazer), where can I get a copy of the previous release?

the_skip
April 4th, 2007, 22:28
ok I am useing th mmd and I get the error that the roms are not in /snes when there is a folder called that. How could I fix that

metroplex2k7
April 5th, 2007, 04:37
did u patch the program with dldi? is your snes folder in the main directory?

rjgallac
April 5th, 2007, 12:08
been trying for ages to get this to work until I opened my eyes and read the post on DLDI. DOH!. works great now. This is an amazing project. well done!!!! I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

the_skip
April 6th, 2007, 00:10
I put the folder snes in the place it takes me two when I click on my device in my computer in windows

DanTheManMS
April 8th, 2007, 02:52
help me!!!! how do you save on nesds? i have the latest version (the one that HAS save enabled on it) of nesds and the roms work perfectly but if i tap 'save state' nothing happens. If i tap 'save sram' it says 'saved' but if i reset the game nothing is saved! i'm a learning newbie at this so help would good. I am using games n music with a 1gb micro san disk card. Thanks in advanced.

That card is fairly unsupported by lots of homebrew. I'm glad NES DS works and all, but don't expect to be able to save. It was made before the time of DLDI, so only devices explicitly supported by NES DS will have saving support. Regardless, this is completely offtopic.

Hey DantheManMS, may I ask what settings you use for Ctrigger and UN Squad? I can't get mine right. Oh, I notice that a few games that played good on the last release aren't so good on this one (ie: Ys 4, super bomberman, and Soulblazer), where can I get a copy of the previous release?

Check http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List for settings to use for each game. With U.N. Quadron, sound is a bit out of sync but the gameplay is fine. Chrono Trigger has issues but is apparently playable. For previous releases, simply check the website at http://www.snemul.com/ds

Shinkayser
April 11th, 2007, 22:50
can someone please help me i can't get SNEmulDs to work I've patched snemulds, created SNES directory and put a few roms inside and moved the snemul file onto the card but it still doesn't work, it says please put files into the SNES directory, i see no problems put it just doesn't work, pls help!!!!!! also what is meant by root of the cardd?

DanTheManMS
April 12th, 2007, 00:00
Telling us what device you are using would help.

The root of the card is the first one you see when opening up the card in Windows Explorer. For instance, putting your games in F:\games\snes\ will not work, while F:\snes will. Obviously the letter F will be different, but you get the idea.

Shinkayser
April 12th, 2007, 10:13
I'm using the m3

DanTheManMS
April 12th, 2007, 22:59
There are more than 1 products that go under the "M3" brand name. There's the M3 CF, M3 SD, M3 MiniSD, M3 Lite, plus Pro versions of all of those, and there's the slot-1 M3 Simply. You really need to be more specific when posting these things.

For slot-2 M3 devices, I think I read that there's more than one DLDI file for them. Try using the alternate one found on the DLDI homepage.

ZeroXero
April 18th, 2007, 06:52
yes im experiencing the same problem. with the message of please put roms in /snes/ directory.
i am using a slot 2 m3 perfect. i am not sure if i should use the alt sd version or the regular.
i believed i have patched it correctly. (i used Win32 Right Click) but i didnt see the point how having the DLDI file present. this is what i did.

i placed them all in one folder. the snemul.cfg, the m3sd.dldi. and the snesmulds.nds file. i right clicked the nds file and clicked any key twice.

i placed all three files in my root of my sd card and created a folder called "SNES". i placed the smc rom files in there.

i projected to launching the application and i was presented with a message thaqt states no files found. what did i do wrong?? helpp

DanTheManMS
April 19th, 2007, 02:06
The DLDI file is only used for patching in the first place. You don't need to have it on the card.

I don't know exactly why it isn't working then. I guess you could try reinstalling DLDIrc, selecting both the M3SD.dldi file and the M3SD_alt.dldi one when it prompts you. Then try patching with the Alternate one in the right-click menu.

Otherwise you're doing everything fine, so I don't know what's wrong.

imqwerty
April 19th, 2007, 22:45
just a question - can you use this snes emulator on an R4DS/M3 Simply cart?

DanTheManMS
April 20th, 2007, 03:35
Yes, it works once patched with the correct DLDI file.

ZeroXero
April 22nd, 2007, 17:49
are the roms suppose to be remained as smc files or converted some how? and am i suppose to install the program just by drag and drop or do i actually have to use the program like the m3 manager?

DanTheManMS
April 23rd, 2007, 00:59
Keep them as .smc files. And if you had read any of the posts here, you would know how to set it up. I personally have stated the instrutcions more than once. Please do some research before asking next time.

This version is out of date by the way. Use the updated Alpha 2 version from the official website.

kooma
April 28th, 2007, 14:10
Hi !
I have a little problem with smenulDS:
I have a SuperCard Rumble.
I launched snemulds with DSOrganize (this tips is written on the snemulds' blog). It runs, then a screen with all the roms available is displayed. But there, I can't do anything. Selecting a rom with the stylus or the pad doesn't do anything, it's just like the program crashed.
Somebody had the same problem ?

PS: Sorry for my english.

DanTheManMS
April 28th, 2007, 22:05
Hm, using DSO reportedly worked fine for some users. Try using DSOrganize 2.6 instead of 2.7, or try using a version of Moonshell that will boot on your SCR (I think 1.6x will work). Lastly, it might be an issue with SNEmulDS itself, so try the 0.4 version to see if that's the issue.

I'm guessing you DLDI patched correctly since you are gettinga directory listing, which wouldn't happen if you patched wrong.

kooma
May 1st, 2007, 16:16
Hm, using DSO reportedly worked fine for some users. Try using DSOrganize 2.6 instead of 2.7, or try using a version of Moonshell that will boot on your SCR (I think 1.6x will work). Lastly, it might be an issue with SNEmulDS itself, so try the 0.4 version to see if that's the issue.

I'm guessing you DLDI patched correctly since you are gettinga directory listing, which wouldn't happen if you patched wrong.

Well, in fact I made an error.
I changed the bootloader to "Chishm", so nothing worked properly. Then I used "Mighty Max" and now everything runs great (Picodrive/smemulDS).

Really nice work for this emulator!

DanTheManMS
May 2nd, 2007, 03:04
Glad to hear you got it working. Yeah, SNEmulDS is pretty slick. Just make sure you get the updated Alpha 2 binary from the main site, as the one found in this thread has been obsolete for a few weeks as a result of the Alpha 2 release.

imqwerty
May 3rd, 2007, 17:54
actually i'm gonna get an m3 lite, will snes still work on this cart?

DanTheManMS
May 4th, 2007, 05:11
Yup, SNEmulDS should work exactly the same, so don't worry.

In fact, if you're getting an M3 Perfect and not a Pro, you'll be able to run SnezziDS as well, which is very accurate for many games. Brief instructions:
1. download v0.28a from http://snezzi.pocketheaven.com
2. drag and drop *.smc file onto snezzi.exe
3. copy resulting *.nds file to your card
4. Add any *.srm save files you want, renamed to *.smc.sav
5. Once in-game, press L+R+Select+Up a few times until you find a good background combination, or press L+R+Start to access the config menu directly, where you can set background settings and other options.

Mr. Enigma
May 7th, 2007, 23:03
Is there a way to convert save files over? I have a save on Final Fantasy V that I wanna be able to use on my DS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and nice work.

DanTheManMS
May 7th, 2007, 23:06
It's pretty simple actually. Just copy the *.srm file to your SNES directory and make sure it has the same name as the rom. SNEmulDS uses the raw save data like ZSNES does, so there shouldn't be any conversion necessary.

In any case, this thread is now out of date with the release of v0.5 Beta. Grab it from my other thread I just posted today.

sm123
January 25th, 2008, 00:24
For now just put the roms in a folder named SNES on the root of your card.

You do need to patch SNEmulDS.nds with the DLDI patch also, of course.

Later on when you feel more comfortable,you can mess with snemul.cfg to change where the roms need to be found by the emulator.

i got a new max media (4g) a few days ago iwant to play zombies ate my neighbors how do do this