PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help with A Python App for Last.FM radio?

raid517
March 26th, 2007, 04:44
OK I am trying to take my very first steps in a project to a) learn something about python and b) to get a native Last.FM port running on the Sony PSP.

I am not a programmer by profession. Indeed I think it''s safe to say that I am not a programmer at all. But I am willing to learn - and Python in particular looks to me like it is possibly quite easy to follow. (from looking art a lot of source code)

In any case I looked around and I was happy to find that pretty much all of the work for porting Python to the PSP had already been done.

So as a test I ran it with the below (see attachment) executable. This executable is for LastFM proxy - which is essentially a client for the Last.FM web player music discovery service.

The idea would be to get the proxy client to run on the PSP, then point a small lightweight MP3 player (again on the PSP) to the proxy address in order to tune into the stream. (Nothing more ambitious than this at this time).

In any case I tried to run this executable with the latest Python PSP binary - but unfortunately it was no go.

Now this will prove what a n00b I am, so I am sorry - but I really do want to learn. However I assumed that Python was a common language across different platforms and different architectures, so a binary that runs in Windows, will run in Linux and OSX and so on?

However I have a feeling that perhaps although it may be a common language across platforms, it is not necessarily a common language across different architectures?

Put another way, in order to get the Last.FM Proxy Python executable to run, would I have to cross compile it specifically for a different architecture - one that is in some way specific to the PSP?

How exactly would I go about doing that? (Since I am not even certain what architecture the PSP has?)

Also is there anything specifically about Last.FM proxy that would stop it running on the PSP - even if say for example it were cross compiled for the PSP?

If so what might possibly need changing? There are both Windows and Linux/Unix binaries for LastFM proxy available from the developer's site, so I am uncertain what the significant differences between these might be?

If anyone can help, or offer any suggestions, or at least say whether you feel if getting this to work would be practical or not, your input would be very much appreciated.