PDA

View Full Version : ‘Market doesn’t need Blu-ray’, says UK Xbox boss

Shrygue
March 26th, 2007, 14:48
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23761)

Microsoft has reignited its war of words with arch rival Sony following the launch of PlayStation 3 in Europe, with UK boss Neil Thompson attacking the system’s price tag and Blu-ray functionality.

Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz, Thompson dismissed suggestions that the PlayStation 3's in-built Blu-ray drive gives the machine a tactical advantage over Xbox 360.

"Do I want to make people pay £200 extra for a machine with discs that have storage space I don’t need? My answer's no, I don't need to do that today," Thompson said. "And I don't think I'm going to need to do that for quite a while."

Thompson argued that the flexibility of 360, which allows users to upgrade their experiences over time, will be key to the console's success. "I’m not sure the market has moved to high definition [movies] yet," he said.

"And if and when it does, then the way that we’ve constructed the offering we’ve made means we’ll be able to go whichever way we want."

The inclusion of a Blu-ray drive in every PlayStation 3 unit has been cited as one of the reasons for the system's hefty GBP425 price tag. The premium Xbox 360 unit carries a lower RRP of GBP 279.99, but does not allow users to play next-gen DVD movies out of the box. A separate HD-DVD drive must be purchased at a cost of GBP 129.99.

Sony executives have been at pains to argue that the additional storage Blu-ray offers is also essential for games, as it means developers are freed from memory restrictions they may encounter on other platforms.

But according to Thompson, Microsoft’s "nimble" hardware could adapt to anything the Sony console has in its arsenal. He cited the 360's latent ability to output in native 1080p - a feature previously only available on PS3.

"I’d be really surprised if technologically, and we’re a software company, we couldn’t get to a situation where we can deliver whatever content we need to," he offered - adding that improved compression techniques and the ability to deliver content via Xbox Live would negate any disc storage issues in the future.

"This is about the architecture of the hardware. With the PS3 you’ve got a big, heavy truck that requires a big, heavy engine.

With Xbox you’ve got a much more nimble box that uses software in the architecture of the box in a much more nimble way."
Thompson concluded, "That’s the difference between us and PlayStation - we didn’t have a need to develop a really complicated engine to get Blu-ray players into the market. We wanted to deliver HD gaming. Judge us on what we’ve done."

Leave feedback via comments.

bullhead
March 26th, 2007, 15:38
I agree, HD has already been established. With sky HD and whatnot. If both formats were released at the same time, the competition would have been closer, but to be released to the market so much later than HD, Blu-Ray doesnt have much of a chance. Sony need to do something ingenious in their marketing department if they want to stand a chance. In my opinion though, that would be as useful as praying.

bull, x.

digitalpedro
March 26th, 2007, 20:07
I agree, HD has already been established. With sky HD and whatnot. If both formats were released at the same time, the competition would have been closer, but to be released to the market so much later than HD, Blu-Ray doesnt have much of a chance. Sony need to do something ingenious in their marketing department if they want to stand a chance. In my opinion though, that would be as useful as praying.

bull, x.

What has sky hd got to do with the war between HD-DVD and Blu ray. Last time i checked sky don't use disks????

MS empoyees slagging off the PS3 is getting old already.

ElRazur
March 27th, 2007, 15:28
MS empoyees slagging off the PS3 is getting old already.

I agree.

One thing the gamers dont need are ignorant and stupid company representatives acting like fools.

F9zDark
April 2nd, 2007, 02:15

bull, x.

Uh what? Blu-Ray has already defeated HD-DVD and most reputable news sources slate HD-DVD's cease of production next year. Blu-Ray sales are also 3:1 in comparison to HD-DVD.

Microsoft may not need the space for games, but when HD-DVD fails and Xbox owners want HD movies on their Xbox, they are going to need to deliver.

And besides, we have been through plenty of times, there will come a time when the space is needed and the Xbox just won't be able to deliver on that.

quzar
April 2nd, 2007, 07:05
Uh what? Blu-Ray has already defeated HD-DVD and most reputable news sources slate HD-DVD's cease of production next year. Blu-Ray sales are also 3:1 in comparison to HD-DVD.

Microsoft may not need the space for games, but when HD-DVD fails and Xbox owners want HD movies on their Xbox, they are going to need to deliver.

And besides, we have been through plenty of times, there will come a time when the space is needed and the Xbox just won't be able to deliver on that.

No reputable news source would predict the production end of a technology. Also, this is in the UK, where neither format has taken root yet, and the HD DVD has been out longer than Blu Ray.

As for the SkyHD comment: the more over-air HD resources there are, the more people will buy HDTVs, the more userbase these products will have. So it's extremely relevant.

Uchuu
April 2nd, 2007, 17:54
No reputable news source would predict the production end of a technology. Also, this is in the UK, where neither format has taken root yet, and the HD DVD has been out longer than Blu Ray.

As for the SkyHD comment: the more over-air HD resources there are, the more people will buy HDTVs, the more userbase these products will have. So it's extremely relevant.

I agree that neither of the formats are dead just yet, but it is true that Blu-ray is edging out HD-DVD even though HD-DVD did come out first. This really couldn't have happened if the PS3 didn't have Blu-ray in it.

I also do agree that SkyHD is probably the most relevant to getting people to buy HDTVs. But this will happen with all TV stations(at least in the US) within only about 3 years. So it's only a matter of time when everyone has an HDTV.

Anyways, back on topic, though it's true that most games that will be made this gen should fit on a DVD9 (unless the developers want to make a complete game where we don't need to download anything...dont' see that happening though), there still will be some games that takes up quite a bit of room. If i'm correct, the Japanese version of Blue Dragon (a 360 RPG) spans over 3 discs and takes up around 25GB between the 3 discs. Switching discs is what you'll have to do, and having that as an option means that you don't necessarily NEED an HD format discs for games, but it would be nice to avoid switching discs by using one.

All I'm saying is that it'll help make things more convienent for gamers. Especially if the whole switching discs thing gets to more than just RPGs. The only way I could see that happening is if developers start using uncompressed audio or something.

I would believe that uncompressed audio would probably never hit any of the consoles though, it would make all games using it to span over multiple discs (or really suck if its only on 1 disc) for the 360 and Wii. For the PS3, it would most likely make gamers wait like 10 mins per loading screen due to how slow the Blu-ray drive is. That leaves.....PC gamers....heh, can't wait till the next gen PC games come out.....gotta get a DX10 vid card first though.

F9zDark
April 2nd, 2007, 17:56
The New York Post is highly reputable and has already predicted HD-DVD's demise for sometime next year. If Blu Ray sales continue on the path they are heading in the US, HD-DVD will not stand even the slightest chance at victory.

Also Blu-Ray will have an advantage in the UK now that the PS3 is out. Anyone who got a PS3, got a Blu-Ray player, which is responsible for Blu-Ray's success in the US and most assuredly will be the same for the UK.

quzar
April 2nd, 2007, 18:48
Also Blu-Ray will have an advantage in the UK now that the PS3 is out. Anyone who got a PS3, got a Blu-Ray player, which is responsible for Blu-Ray's success in the US and most assuredly will be the same for the UK.

You confuse gaining an advantage with having the advantage. HD-DVD is more popular in the UK atm. The release of the PS3 surely will act to strengthen the position of blu-ray, but that doesn't automatically put blu-ray on top.

as for the comment on all tv stations going to HD in the next 3 years: of course, but what matters is what's happening now. Also, I seem to remember back in '99 a massive TV campaign saying that by '04 we would no longer be able to use our normal over air analog antennas anymore at all, and that everything would be digital and such. For the US at least, it's going to be quite a time longer before everything is HD only.

To make predictions now is pointless. Everyone has their opinion on which will come out ahead, and it seems every time it comes up the same people chime in =P.

F9zDark
April 2nd, 2007, 18:57
In the US its all about the money, stations would rather milk SD tv for all its worth before rolling out with HD. Just look at Dial Up VS Broadband Internet connections...

quzar
April 2nd, 2007, 19:11
In the US its all about the money, stations would rather milk SD tv for all its worth before rolling out with HD. Just look at Dial Up VS Broadband Internet connections...

um... it's more like the demand doesn't merit the massive undertaking to convert the hardware. You have to remember, most places have had the same phone and cable lines running to them for 20+ years. The people aren't demanding broadband, so there is no impetus to revamp the systems.

Most countries where broadband has taken off to such high extents didn't have the same infastructure that we have in the US to begin with. That's basically the price we pay for having had such a strong economy in the 50s to the early 70s, every place ended up wired for tv and phone. Now we have to be more conservative and it's a problem to go around ripping up all the cable layed then or replacing every relay station at once etc.

DPyro
April 2nd, 2007, 19:59
You don't need to rip up cable to get high speed. Where I live we can't get cable internet cause the cabling is so old, and the price to replace it doesn't justify the number of people who would use it (1000+ people in the area). So we get DSL over our old phone lines, works just as good. I can't understand why some places in the US haven't got DSL when a tiny place in Canada does...

quzar
April 2nd, 2007, 20:12
You don't need to rip up cable to get high speed. Where I live we can't get cable internet cause the cabling is so old, and the price to replace it doesn't justify the number of people who would use it (1000+ people in the area). So we get DSL over our old phone lines, works just as good. I can't understand why some places in the US haven't got DSL when a tiny place in Canada does...

The same problem occurs with DSL. If the lines aren't good enough, DSL can't be run over them. DSL works by the same basic principle as cable internet, just over a different line. Both work by transmitting the data in a higher range than the standard thing does. When I said rip up cable I meant any sort of cabling.