PDA

View Full Version : Quake2 DS Screenshots and News

wraggster
March 27th, 2007, 23:00
Simonjhall the coder behind the port of Quake to the Nintendo DS, has posted screenshots a video and news of his work on porting Quake 2 to the Nintendo DS:

SPREAD THIS NEWS

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Quake_2_DS_Screenshots_and_Video

Heres the screens first

http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/quake2shot1my7.jpg

http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/quake2shot2ac8.jpg

Heres the news and Video Link:

I've finally got Quake2 properly running on the DS and I thought I'd post a quick (and crappy) YouTube video. I am still getting Q1 pre2 ready, it's just that I wanted to take a break!

Anyway, linky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu4VczrZBdQ (will be up in a few mins)

In case you're worried, this is exactly the same kind of performance that I had when I first had Q1's software renderer running on the DS. However, I'm still not confident that similar performance can be obtained with this game - there's just too much strain on the system this time.
This is more of a proof-of-concept, showing that a full-blown game can be run of the extended RAM provided by slot-2 solutions. Yeah, I know all about the 8-bit write problem :-)

Kinda worried about properly working on this game though, as Q1 has pretty much taken my free time for the last five months!

Comments? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/v/Tu4VczrZBdQ

SPREAD THIS NEWS

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Quake_2_DS_Screenshots_and_Video

Awesome news eh :)

Mr_Biggs
March 27th, 2007, 23:16
god damn! i'm glad i never put myself in the flaming line by saying Q2 wasnt possible, but his just blew my mind. Quake 2 on my DS. beyond words, simon. i salute you.

P.S. i havent bothered to try that <u>Other</u> quake build, cause yours in the ONLY one that counts.

JKKDARK
March 27th, 2007, 23:19
Nice graphics! This coder is doing an amzing job! :)

SSaxdude
March 27th, 2007, 23:37
Wow, the DS beat the PSP at something homebrew related. This will be AWESOME, but will I need the extra RAM cartridge?

TeenDev
March 27th, 2007, 23:43
better start working on Quake 3, it just became open source lol

simonjhall
March 27th, 2007, 23:50
Wow, the DS beat the PSP at something homebrew related. This will be AWESOME, but will I need the extra RAM cartridge?
Yes, sorry. At the moment it's using up all the memory I can throw at it (4+32 megs) although I hope to get it running with the Opera expansion (4+8 megs). Oh and thanks very much for the comments :-)

P.S. i havent bothered to try that <u>Other</u> quake build, cause yours in the ONLY one that counts.Ta man, it means a lot :-) Looking back at pre1 I realise how shockingly bad it is! If you liked that then you'll love pre2!

Pilot_51
March 28th, 2007, 00:50
Once I saw Quake1 ported and how similar is was to Quake2, I immediately had hopes for Q2. Q2 was the first FPS I got addicted to and played loads of multiplayer back in 2001 when I bought my first PC (350MHz). I might've still had 32MB RAM when I started and didn't have much trouble, I'm not sure because I upgraded to 512MB pretty quick.
If you can get it working on a slot 1 device, such as R4DS which I have, without the RAM expansion (which I don't have... yet) I'll be a happy camper. Not that I'd be camping a lot in Q2DS.
You have my full support on porting Q2, it's easily my second favorite FPS of all time (BF1942 is my first).

BrooksyX
March 28th, 2007, 01:10
Are you kidding me, the DS can laod the official quake 2 pak file and the psp can't! Mad props to this coder, maybe he could work on a psp version too?

Tripsk8er333
March 28th, 2007, 02:13
Yes, sorry. At the moment it's using up all the memory I can throw at it (4+32 megs) although I hope to get it running with the Opera expansion (4+8 megs). Oh and thanks very much for the comments :-)

Ta man, it means a lot :-) Looking back at pre1 I realise how shockingly bad it is! If you liked that then you'll love pre2!

Hey, is it possible to get any extra Ram by using a slot-1 card" M3 DS Simply" ? if this is possible tell me how, If not is there any other way besides the Opera card? That would be so cool.:)

Tripsk8er333
March 28th, 2007, 02:33
I have a little question. Are we going to be able to change the controls to the buttons rather than the Stylus, and will we be able to play online this, in my opion that would make this the best NDS homebrew EVER!!

ShinMike
March 28th, 2007, 03:16
asking too much already! haha

Junixx
March 28th, 2007, 03:20
Sweet I got my SC SD today :D :thumbup: so hopefully this will work!

DanTheManMS
March 28th, 2007, 03:26
Guys, he's already stated that he can only barely get it working in 36 MB, so you're going to have to have some sort of RAM in slot-2 for it to work at all. Whether or not he can make it work in 12 MB (4 in DS + 8 from Opera RAM) is the real test. Either way, slot-1 users will have to buy some sort of RAM device for slot-2 for it to be even possible.

DancinWookie
March 28th, 2007, 05:29
A custom graphics engine may even bump the speed to something playable. Probably he should think about using a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouraud_shading based system, if he isn't already. This also shows the ever expanding possibilities for a PSX emulator... Sorry for changing the topic. The NDS isn't something to joke about two processors with the proper instruction given can handle almost twice as much information at once, sometimes even more based on cache. This little critter has to be the most smartest designed hand held ever, PSP although lacking revolutionary design has amazing brute force.

punkypine
March 28th, 2007, 06:36
ps1 emulation isnt happening. this guy isnt emulated these games, he's porting them. much different than emulation.

great work tho.

waternova
March 28th, 2007, 07:31
Perhaps this is stupid question... I know The Super Card SD (slot-2) has some ram, but is it 32Mb? Does this thing work on Super Cards? and when will an alpha or beta be released?:thumbup:

PeterM
March 28th, 2007, 09:01
The "DS is better than PSP" comments can stop now. The only reason this works is because of the extra RAM.

Simon has done a great job, but he's working with more RAM (36 MB) than the PSP has available (~20 MB after loading the executable).

If the PSP had a RAM upgrade we'd have Quake 2 already.

simonjhall
March 28th, 2007, 09:41
Yo, Peter's totally right - 36 pwns 24 megs!
Again, it's really early days, but on my Linux test builds (where I do have virtual memory) I can get the game to run in 10-20 megs.
So 'all I've got to do' is replace all the virtual memory stuff with some crafty code, and the game will be sorted :rofl:
Although hopefully going from the software renderer to using the DS' 3D hardware will be a lot easier this time as I've done it once before!

To answer the other questions,
- in Q1 you can play without using the pen using DSDoom-style controls (not in pre1 though). Won't be hard to add control configuration to Q2
- 'full' Supercards have 32 megs of RAM; I have one of these (miniSD) and an EZflash-5 RAM expansion. I'd like to get an Opera expansion as well as an M3 (and a G6?)
- at the moment it requires a slot-1 FAT solution (I'm using the M3 Perfect), although it won't be too hard to get it running libfat and the extended RAM from the same slot
- oh and *you will need* extra RAM to play this game (assuming I can be bothered to make it)

Wurd.

souLLy
March 28th, 2007, 10:27
Good times, if you're ever in London simonjhall, I owe you a beer :)

simonjhall
March 28th, 2007, 13:26
Yo man, I live in London! Y'know there's gonna be a launch party for Q1, right? Or at least a pub trip ;-)
Now if I could get a free beer from every person who downloaded pre1...

Mr_Biggs
March 28th, 2007, 13:43
sorry bud, but im in america and underage. how about a case of A&W? :D

WermerSkoch
March 28th, 2007, 14:42
Sort of an unrelated question, but figured I'd ask since everyone's talking about RAM expansions... Simon, you mentioned that the 'full' supercard has 32 mb RAM expansion... Does anyone know if this ram expansion is compatible with the opera browser (or do you have to have the official opera expansion...?)? I'm here in the states so I don't have it available to me, but I think it's been released in EU, right? Anyone tried this?

souLLy
March 28th, 2007, 21:25
Yo man, I live in London! Y'know there's gonna be a launch party for Q1, right? Or at least a pub trip ;-)
Now if I could get a free beer from every person who downloaded pre1...

Sounds like a plan to me, I'll definitely try to be there.
Perhaps we have a plan right there, ds beer bounty's for finishing projects... I forsee Web Browsers, Flash Players, and Playstation Emulators in the very near future :D

DanTheManMS
March 28th, 2007, 21:53
WermerSkoch, the Opera browser will not recognize the RAM of the Supercard/M3, so you need to get the official RAM pack. I'm not really sure where you would find JUST the slot-1 cartridge for sale, but whatever.

There's a way to make it recognize the Supercard/M3 RAM, but it requires the rom and is therefore beyond the scope of this forum.

DancinWookie
March 29th, 2007, 01:17
ps1 emulation isnt happening. this guy isnt emulated these games, he's porting them. much different than emulation.

great work tho.

There is always some emulation in every port. Nothing is perfect... I just think its possible to render and run a playstation game with not as much problems. I'm dying to play my old system again. I have the first original psx so trust my ambition. These guys got the PSX to run a on pda, http://www.fpsece.net/download.htm, why not use it to get a PSX to run on a DS, especially with the new graphics engine they are releasing soon. Ram is also not used up as much on the emulator giving it an even larger bonus. The PDA emulator is written in arm code so even more easier to attempt translating it towards a nintendo ds. I'm just saying it's possible nothing more, and Quake 2 just proves it more.

Junixx
March 29th, 2007, 01:26
Ever looked up the specs for the main PDA though? the RAM was 64 MB, all you need to know is that and you can see why its not possible on DS

Tripsk8er333
March 29th, 2007, 03:35
Sorry to bring up the "Stupid Question" again , but I never got a defenitive Answer for my question. Is it possible, in a SLOT-1 Device "M3 DS SImply" , to set a side an amout of memory to allow the game to use this as RAM of some sorts? And is it even possible to code a program to do this?

DanTheManMS
March 29th, 2007, 03:55
The M3 Simply does not have any RAM that can be used. Only slot-2 devices have this.

Technically, it might be possible to use a slot-1 device as a page file, like how a chunk of your computer's hard drive acts like RAM, but this would be very difficult due to the DS's lack of a Memory Management Unit, and it would be ill-advised in the first place since it would create way too many reads and writes to the card. It wouldn't be fast enough to be useful anyway.

Tripsk8er333
March 29th, 2007, 04:56
Does anyone know where I can Get the RAM Expansion Card I need for this ?
And will it work with the M3 DS Simply?
Also How much is it.
WIll any other game projects in the future use this?

Thanks.

souLLy
March 29th, 2007, 07:41
you need a slot 2 card, so something like the M3 lite is what you want. You can buy them at all the flashcard resellers around.

Tripsk8er333
March 29th, 2007, 18:44
you need a slot 2 card, so something like the M3 lite is what you want. You can buy them at all the flashcard resellers around.
I hate to ask,but do you Know of a card that will give me the most RAM possible, will work With M3/R4, And Most importantlly will work with the old NDS ( I don't have a NDS Lite) ? This would be really appreciated, Thanks:)

souLLy
March 29th, 2007, 20:01
all the m3 slot2s have 32 meg of ram, that's a standard size i think in slot2 cards, opera's browser ram has 8 meg to my knowlege. pick up an m3sd.

simonjhall
March 29th, 2007, 20:40
I'm using a Supercard miniSD and it fits flush with the base of my DS phat. I also have an EZ5 combo thing but that has to be dismantled to fit in the phat.
As I've got both these cards you can be sure that they'll be supported in anything that I write ;-)

cyprusxxx
March 29th, 2007, 20:44
whats better the EZ flash 3 in 1 or the m3

DanTheManMS
March 30th, 2007, 01:33
souLLy, if the product is going to be used solely as a RAM pack, wouldn't it be better to suggest the cheaper Supercard instead? It's like a $30 difference or more, and the only difference is GBA playback compatibility, which I'm guessing trixter doesn't care too much about anyway as she went for a slot-1 device to begin with. Yes, the Supercard's RAM is a tiny bit slower, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference here. Like simon mentioned, the miniSD versions will fit flush within a DS Phat.

Tripsk8er333
March 30th, 2007, 04:03
Which one should I Get the M3 SD Perfect or the M3 SD Pro? Is the M3 SD Perfect better?

DanTheManMS
March 30th, 2007, 04:04
Yes, get the Perfect instead of the Pro. The Pro only has 4 MB of RAM, so it's nearly worthless for anything that requires it.

Xgen001
March 30th, 2007, 10:20
incredible graphics.

they are really pushing it this time.:thumbup:

souLLy
March 30th, 2007, 10:25
souLLy, if the product is going to be used solely as a RAM pack, wouldn't it be better to suggest the cheaper Supercard instead? It's like a $30 difference or more, and the only difference is GBA playback compatibility, which I'm guessing trixter doesn't care too much about anyway as she went for a slot-1 device to begin with. Yes, the Supercard's RAM is a tiny bit slower, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference here. Like simon mentioned, the miniSD versions will fit flush within a DS Phat.

Yeah I just realised in my post I wasn't very clear. 32meg is a standard ram size most slot 2s have, an example of one is the m3sd perfect, but there's plenty of other options around ;)
Sounds like a supercard would be the better way to go

simonjhall
March 30th, 2007, 10:41
Yeah, roll with the Supercard. From what I hear, there doesn't seem to be as much luck with the extra memory on the M3 (Perfect) as with the Supercard. Stuff like unlock codes not working, only being able to get 16 megs etc. Also I'm told that the memory is faster - but I don't buy that as my SC seems to be getting the full bandwidth of the gba slot... (a whopping 7 megs/second)
Also when I spoke to the people at M3 about getting a card (for developing Q2) they sent me a slot-1 Simply instead! That's not what I asked for! It has been pretty damn useful though - I wouldn't have been able to do DS<->DS wifi in Q1 without it ;-)

Tripsk8er333
April 4th, 2007, 01:34
Yeah, roll with the Supercard. From what I hear, there doesn't seem to be as much luck with the extra memory on the M3 (Perfect) as with the Supercard. Stuff like unlock codes not working, only being able to get 16 megs etc. Also I'm told that the memory is faster - but I don't buy that as my SC seems to be getting the full bandwidth of the gba slot... (a whopping 7 megs/second)
Also when I spoke to the people at M3 about getting a card (for developing Q2) they sent me a slot-1 Simply instead! That's not what I asked for! It has been pretty damn useful though - I wouldn't have been able to do DS<->DS wifi in Q1 without it ;-)
Can I use a Supercard with my M3 DS Simply? And Which one is the best for this?

Thanks in advance.:)

simonjhall
April 4th, 2007, 13:53
That's exactly what I use - a Simply in slot-1 and a Supercard miniSD in slot-2.

I'm using the miniSD version as that fits flush along the base of my phat.
If you didn't know - the SC Rumble doesn't include the 32 megs of RAM and apparently doesn't work with DKA r20. Avoid.

wraggster
April 4th, 2007, 14:10
hi simon, are you still looking for am M3 card ?

i did send you a pm about it ;)

Tripsk8er333
April 5th, 2007, 04:44
Hey simonjhall, Where can I get a good deal on a Supercard miniSD + a MiniSD (Preferably 1GB),and one that is trusted? Where did you get yours?

!!!Thanks in advance!!!:)

Tripsk8er333
June 25th, 2007, 07:19
Hey Simon, Thanks for all of the Unexplainable work, You REALLY OUT DID YOURSELF,:thumbup:

Just to Let You know I got a 3 in 1 EZV Card for the Nds. It has 256Mb(32MB) of RAM, Plays GBA ROMS, and it even has built in Rumble ( Three Levelsof intensity ). To use it with the M3/R4 you need a special program it is called "ExpPack" it is just one of the programs you can use to trick it to work with Slot-1 cards. It usually is Prepatched for the M3/R4. The card is Avalible in two sizes( Lite and GBA) I got the GBA since I still got the DS Phat. You can you it with the DS Web browser and DSlinux.

I hope you still think it is possible to Work on Quake 2 . I know you want to finish Quake 1 first, but I think Quake 2 on the DS would be Phenominal.

Thanks for all of the GREAT work!! :thumbup:

Please keep us all updated

Da_ALC
June 25th, 2007, 12:35
This will be saweeet! Gotta love quake.

You should port the original GTA, id love to be porta-playing that.

PeterM
June 25th, 2007, 13:08
Is the source for GTA available?

Da_ALC
June 25th, 2007, 13:19
The game is freeware n up for donwload form rockstars site.. not sure bout the source tho.

Da_ALC
June 25th, 2007, 13:29
I had a look, apparantly not. Harumph.

simonjhall
June 25th, 2007, 13:40
Yeah you'll need the source in order to get it running. Either that or some kind of emulator (no way).

Tripsk8er333
June 26th, 2007, 18:09
I hate to change the topic but,

Do you think You (or even anyone) could ever port GTA 3 to the NDS? or is it just impossible.

Keep up the good work.:thumbup:

PeterM
June 26th, 2007, 19:00
lol

Sir_Voe
June 26th, 2007, 19:21
While we're off subject, any news on the exram QuakeDS build? I check the home site for updates every day. Will it come out some time in July perhaps?

simonjhall
June 26th, 2007, 22:00
I'm sorry to say it but I've not done any real programming in the last month or so (bar what I do professionally), as programming 18 hours a day for months on end was really taking its toll on me - hence no Quake updates!

I'm trying to psyche myself into picking up the compiler again...but I'm lacking the motivation!

BTW: Peter, love the avatar!

Sir_Voe
June 26th, 2007, 23:23
Ah, thanks for the reply. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Tripsk8er333
July 3rd, 2007, 03:29
Hey I hate to seem like a pest, but do you think it would be possible to Port the original Half-Life to the NDS. since Half-life uses a modified version of the Quake2 engine.

I hate to sound like a pest but I have been Interested in this work and I think that We The People of the NDS should get a Half-Life Game. This would be awsome.

Sorry about the GTA question It was Dumb.:o

Keep up the good work.:thumbup:

simonjhall
July 3rd, 2007, 08:13
No, there will not be HL on the DS until Valve release the source code and only then could the system be assessed to see if it's runnable on the DS.
Remember, Valve is still selling HL1 on Steam...

Tripsk8er333
July 3rd, 2007, 19:14
Thanks Simon, I guess We will have to wait and see.

I Really hope they Release it!:D
( I REALLY hope it Can work on the NDS)

:thumbup: !!Keep up the good work!! :thumbup:

Tripsk8er333
July 5th, 2007, 08:36
Hey Simon, I was on the Internet the other night and came across this. How to over clock your NDS to 116mhz. It shows you how you can MOD the DS's chipset to allow it to have greater clocked speeds. They talked about it allowing the DS to emulate at higher speeds( I don't know if it is true, but I think it could allow us to port and play high Cpu games. To do this it requiers these things.)

Nintendo DS
GBAccelerator DS overclocking chip
Tri-Wing Screwdriver
Small Phillips screwdriver
30 AWG kynar wire-wrap wire
Low-wattage, fine-tipped soldering iron
Solder wick (desoldering braid)
Fine, rosin-core solder
Wire cutters
Wire stripper
Needle-nose pliers
Double-sided tape
Cup or bowl to contain small parts

The Major thing is the GBAccelerator DS overclocking chip which can be found at http://www.division-6.com/store/gbaccelerator-ds-pr-8.html for $24.99 (€ 18.69). This chip is suppose to Increase and Decrease the DS CPU speed by pressing a combination of buttons.

All of the original information on how to Mod it can be found at http://www.modd3d.com/articles/item/overclock-your-nintendo-ds

The web site ABOVE Shows you how to Mod it for the DS Phat. If you want to Mod it for the DS lite the Instructions can be found here
http://www.modd3d.com/articles/item/overclock-your-nintendo-ds-lite

I Hope this has been some kind of help and I hope this will allow us to improve and Emulate higher Cpu games.

I have not tryed it for myself (yet), but I was woundering if some would like to try it and Give US an update to see if it really does what it says.

P.S. I am not 100% sure that this makes the NDS Cpu more powerful I am just going on what I heard.

Hyrule_boy
August 6th, 2007, 23:26
Did you work lately on this awesome project Simon?

simonjhall
August 7th, 2007, 19:08
I was working on Q2 quite a bit until people convinced me that my time might be better spent finishing up Q1 and adding in all those things I said I would. The big one, extended memory support (that's slot-2 RAM for those not in the know), is in there and working great. I got the CD audio / MP3 playback working perfectly last night too, so...yeah...
Watch this space :-)

Echo1
August 7th, 2007, 19:40
I'm looking forward to that Quake update. :)

Sir_Voe
August 8th, 2007, 22:16
I was working on Q2 quite a bit until people convinced me that my time might be better spent finishing up Q1 and adding in all those things I said I would. The big one, extended memory support (that's slot-2 RAM for those not in the know), is in there and working great. I got the CD audio / MP3 playback working perfectly last night too, so...yeah...

Great news:) . A proper soundtrack will be nice. Any luck on getting sprites in? Either way I can't wait:D .

simonjhall
August 8th, 2007, 23:45
I'm gonna spend some time to see if I can sort out the broken non-power-of-two texture maps and non-textured particles and sprites. See if I can get them rendering properly too :-)
Also since I now have gallons of memory due to slot-2 I should be able to crank up the particle count to make it nice and messy when you shoot people!

zauberer
August 9th, 2007, 00:19
I don't know if this is useful:
You once said that mp3 playback consumes ando so;
SCUMMVMDS project ha that problem so they transformed the musci to some kind of WAV with specific configuration.

Mr_Biggs
August 10th, 2007, 01:15
simon, i think there's a donation in the works. not only did you get exRAM to work, you also say MP3s will play now, and we can have a mad amount of blood.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

yeah, that excites me.

simonjhall
August 10th, 2007, 09:36
Oh and Jake I've honestly not forgotten about your 'freeing precaches' people - I will be getting back to you at some point! It's just that it's prety hard to send you a build that won't act weird as the code is in a bit of a mess at the moment...

But yeah I hope to make the game feature-complete, so if Carmack does make a DS game mine will stand up to his a little better!

@zauberer, yeah I know all about the scummvm music - the guy who did the DS port is my housemate :-)

<cheeky> btw people I'm still looking for a (free) DS browser RAM expansion so I can add support for that... </cheeky>

iso jussi
August 11th, 2007, 09:32
Simonsaid that he works on the extra RAM build, so does that mean I can use extra ram of eg. Slot 2 M3 without slot1 device to boot quake? I mean, for RAM build, is it enough having just the Slot-2 M3 and a Passcard?

simonjhall
August 11th, 2007, 11:14
Yes that's correct. You will get better performance however if you use two cards though...

wiggy fuzz
August 11th, 2007, 20:05
*cough* gears of ds... i mean war

i'm a little late on info, is this a full scale port - like, full textures, polies, stuff...

XDelusion
August 12th, 2007, 11:57
If the author could make use of the extra memory in the Opera Browser or EZ Flash 3 in 1, I'm SURE that would go a long way for an app like this.

RAM Unlocking API Collection:

http://licklick.wordpress.com/tag/ds-homebrew/

Ez Flash 3 in 1 for only $19.05!

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967

DanTheManMS
August 12th, 2007, 19:46
Would you please stop posting that in multiple threads? It's already been established that Quake 2 won't even run without some form of RAM in slot-2, though Simon has been working more on perfecting Quake 1 at the moment.

sethsez
August 12th, 2007, 21:08
Hey Simon, just another guy who loves this port here. :)

You've been talking a lot about the extra RAM capabilities of the next Quake release, so... is it going to be required, or will those of us without slot-2 RAM still be able to play? I know it'll be required for Quake II, and I'd buy RAM to play that, but if it'll be required for Quake as well I might get it a bit earlier. :)

XDelusion
August 12th, 2007, 21:29
Just ran across that and thought I'd pass on the info that I thought might be useful to my favorite projects.

mikeb
August 13th, 2007, 04:17
is the next release gonna make the explosians and bullets normal also about when are you gonna release it >_>

Hyrule_boy
August 13th, 2007, 20:33
Awesome! Which slot 2 ram device do you use? I have soon a EZFlash 3-in-1 Expansion Pack for NDS Lite (http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967) Will that work with Quake I and II?

iso jussi
August 14th, 2007, 16:00
Yes that's correct. You will get better performance however if you use two cards though...

Better performance.... Would you still recommend starting to use the RAM -version (when released, of course)instead of the pre2 version?

simonjhall
August 14th, 2007, 17:18
Hey Simon, just another guy who loves this port here. :)Thanks man, it's always nice to hear from the fans :thumbup:

You've been talking a lot about the extra RAM capabilities of the next Quake release, so... is it going to be required, or will those of us without slot-2 RAM still be able to play?Slot-2 memory will êever be required to play QuakeDS, as an internal memory-only build will always be maintained in line with the EXRAM one.
However it's still early days, and I can't guarantee that all the new fancy stuff will be included in the 'regular' build. For instance, I'm toying with the idea of making CD audio an EXRAM-only feature. Also a phat particle count may also be a RAM-only thing too.

On the flip side, you will always get a better framerate if you're playing the game from main memory rather than slot-2 RAM, so I guess you've got to weigh up what features you want when you play!

Which slot 2 ram device do you use?I have both a Supercard and an EZ 3-in-1 and confirm that they work just fine :) In fact, I can adjust the memory timings on the EZ and pull a 25% speed boost from it! I'm considering exposing a RAM overclocking menu in the game but I'm worried I'll get emails from people with broken flash cards. Btw the M3 (the RAM versions) work fine too.
A card I really need to get my hands on is the Opera browser expansion. I'm having trouble auto-detecting it but also since there's only 8MB in it I'm gonna need to do some special work with it.

Better performance.... Would you still recommend starting to use the RAM -version (when released, of course)instead of the pre2 version?...depends what you want to play! If you're playing a big total conversion (eg Malice) you won't be able to play with the regular one, full-stop. If you're just playing regular Quake I'd recommend using the normal build (ie pre3 or v1.0). I've spent many hours squeezing the game into 4MB and sent countless builds to my testers to find the situations where it would swap out to disk (they did a fantastic job btw!), so don't worry about getting better performance by having more memory!
However, if you are playing a big mod/TC and need the RAM slot-2 cards afford you, you'll get slightly better performance if you have your files on a slot-1 card (and your RAM in slot-2) rather than having both the files and RAM in slot-2. QDS makes heavy use of your flash card during gameplay and swapping the slot-2 interface between file mode and RAM mode will take its toll...
Btw iso jussi, love the avatar :)

@dantheman, I need to somehow move all this Quake 1 talk into a thread of its own, rather than piggybacking onto Quake2!

iso jussi
August 14th, 2007, 18:10
Thanks Simon. He's a fictional finnish character in comedy films, named "Uuno Turhapuro".

I hate to complain, but When I set the aiming to ABXY buttons, it still switches the weapon from X (or was it Y), sou could it be possible to set the weapon switching to be used by tapping the touch Screen?

And, the most important for last: When will the new versions come out?:D

::Xraxa, plz:.
August 14th, 2007, 18:15
I was about to shit myself when i saw the screen shots, but the video was dissappointing. Im hoping you can figure out how to get it to run smoother, for I shall worship you if you do.

Hyrule_boy
August 14th, 2007, 18:16
Thanks Simon. He's a
And, the most important for last: When will the new versions come out?:D
When it's done...
So you can better ask if it's soon.

simonjhall
August 14th, 2007, 18:58
I hate to complain, but When I set the aiming to ABXY buttons, it still switches the weapon from X (or was it Y)That sounds like in your config.cfg file (in /id1) could be slightly funky. Try binding the buttons how you want it, *save the settings* and have a look at config.cfg in a text editor. Have a look for bind PAD X and PAD Y and see what they say! Sounds to me like there could be several bindings of the same button. There are no hard-coded keys in the NDS file. Everything's done from inside pak0.pak's default.cfg (and then overridden with your config.cfg). If things are still weird, send me your config file and I'll take a look.

Im hoping you can figure out how to get it to run smootherIt's not a problem of how to make it faster (I've done it once, I can do it again!) it's finding the time that's hard. Going from pre1->pre2 alone probably took 20-30hrs/wk for nearly three months. That's why I'm scared of committing to Q2! It was very draining when combined with a full-time (programming) job.

And, the most important for last: When will the new versions come out?Exhales for a long time...
It really does depend on how many things I'd like to cram into this build.

Here's a rough plan, in order of importance,
1) I must fix the weird bugs a few people have reported which seem to only affect certain people's hardware (the second freeing precache bug)
2) mp3 support needs more work
3) slot-2 RAM is 100% in there, but I've got to make it faster
4) particles and sprites need to be done properly
5) I want to optimise the physics and AI system so that the game runs as fast as the demos
6) some slot-2 'goodies' I've been toying with :)
7) touch buttons, to bind virtual keys to
8) there's a very slim chance lightmapping will make it in

Worth waiting a while longer for?

stevo11185
August 14th, 2007, 19:10
yes its worth waiting for hopefully you can finish it by october atleast >_> but not rushes take your time.

Hyrule_boy
August 14th, 2007, 20:24
That sounds like in your Exhales for a long time...

Here's a rough plan, in order of importance,
1) I must fix the weird bugs a few people have reported which seem to only affect certain people's hardware (the second freeing precache bug)
2) mp3 support needs more work
3) slot-2 RAM is 100% in there, but I've got to make it faster
4) particles and sprites need to be done properly
5) I want to optimise the physics and AI system so that the game runs as fast as the demos
6) some slot-2 'goodies' I've been toying with :)
7) touch buttons, to bind virtual keys to
8) there's a very slim chance lightmapping will make it in

Worth waiting a while longer for?

HELL YEAH! Looking allot forward to that.

::Xraxa, plz:.
August 14th, 2007, 22:09
It's not a problem of how to make it faster (I've done it once, I can do it again!) it's finding the time that's hard. Going from pre1->pre2 alone probably took 20-30hrs/wk for nearly three months. That's why I'm scared of committing to Q2! It was very draining when combined with a full-time (programming) job.

Exhales for a long time...

If it gives you any incentive, I promise to make a shrine to you in my clsoet if you pull of Q2. :thumbup:

iso jussi
August 17th, 2007, 13:39
So the RAM version shall come later, but what about the non-ram prerelease 3?

simonjhall
August 19th, 2007, 16:24
So the RAM version shall come later, but what about the non-ram prerelease 3?They will both be coming out at the same time, or within a few days of each other.

If it gives you any incentive, I promise to make a shrine to you in my clsoet if you pull of Q2.I'd better get out of the homebrew world as quickly as possible then!

Buttertoast45
August 19th, 2007, 19:08
This is going to be awesome!!!

Mr_Biggs
August 21st, 2007, 02:08
oh great crakaplz, youve spooked him off. SHIT!

lolz...

Da_ALC
August 23rd, 2007, 23:19
:thumbup:
Just keeping this alive! L|:¬D
:thumbup:

vapour99
October 10th, 2007, 01:31
hope this isn't diing! im assuming your hard at work... although, it's october now. update?

simonjhall
October 10th, 2007, 07:52
A couple of weeks away from release. There's not much left to do, but I'm stalling slightly until I can get ad-hoc play in, so a few more weeks...

iso jussi
October 10th, 2007, 14:27
A couple of weeks away from release. There's not much left to do, but I'm stalling slightly until I can get ad-hoc play in, so a few more weeks...
ad-hoc, what does it exactly mean? I'm pretty sure that it's wireless multiplay, but when playing "ad-hoc", do you need to have connection to web when, or can you play QuakeDS at eg. in middle of Sahara with only two homebrew (and QuakeDS)-capable DSes?

What I mean in a package: is ad-hoc play same thing as DS Local multiplay

PeterM
October 10th, 2007, 14:50
If it's anything like PSP,
Ad-hoc = DS-to-DS play (no internet connection).
Infrastructure = DS-to-anything play (via internet).

DanTheManMS
October 10th, 2007, 23:27
Right. The guys at GBAdev are currently on the verge of getting two DS systems to communicate directly with each other without any external access point. They've managed to get communication working, but it needs refinement and it has some issues with certain DS systems that are being worked on.

souLLy
October 10th, 2007, 23:49
Holy crap I didn't realise anyone had been working actively on that since sgstair slowed down his work. That's incredible news, I'd love to see what possibilities that opens with emulators.

Also brilliant news simonjhall, looking forward to it :)

iso jussi
October 11th, 2007, 08:07
Yeah, try to imagine playing Goof Troop on Snemulds with your pals, or co-op quakeds... cool.

iso jussi
October 11th, 2007, 08:07
Crap! Sorry.

andwan0
July 10th, 2009, 14:46
How is the Quake 2 DS project going? Any news update on the frame rate? I don't mind if we have a very low texture quality (like just shades of colour) .. just as long as the frame rates are 30...

LDAsh
July 13th, 2009, 11:40
That would be possible by modding the game base itself, just replace every texture with an 8x8 PCX of colour in the PAK and it should speed up performance significantly

andwan0
July 13th, 2009, 16:37
Yes, or even some plain colours... just to get 30fps...

andwan0
July 13th, 2009, 16:37
Can someone make a release of basic colour textures?