PDA

View Full Version : Japanese government shuts down in-plane PSP wireless use

wraggster
March 28th, 2007, 00:12
via pspvault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article899.psp)

This probably shouldn't come as a huge surprise to anyone who has been on a plane since September 11th, 2001, but in a recent article by Yomiuri, we've learned that Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport has official restricted the use of the wireless multiplayer functions of portable game systems, namely the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP.

The justification behind the rule is the same as virtually all other rules associated with the use of wireless technologies inside airplanes: they may cause interference with cabin equipment. I was under the impression that this kind of thing never actually happened and was just a precaution, but according to the Ministry there have been more than 200 reported incidents since 1993 related to such interference.

pibs
March 28th, 2007, 01:15
Didn't mythbusters prove that wireless devices make no interference with the cockpit?

Nicko01
March 28th, 2007, 01:23
I love mythbusters! I need to look that up.
I've never been on a plane before, but if i do go on one, I'm taking my psp, all my UMD's and a one of these: http://videogame.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00120&dept_id=006&cat_id=006

edit: found it!
http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/03/20/mythbusters-cell-phones-on-planes/

baracki96
March 28th, 2007, 01:43
Didn't mythbusters prove that wireless devices make no interference with the cockpit?
Why yes, yes they did. They only tested it on US Aeronautical Radio devices and being a Software Engineer myself I can tell you that the Japanese Radio is drastically different as far as frequency and whatnot so there is a chance that PSP WIFI behaves malevontly to japanese radio.

Basil Zero
March 28th, 2007, 01:56
i was worried about this too about a year ago

i've never had the chance to use my psp on a plane

but when i do, i'll make sure to turn off the wireless function

because when i went to a wedding, for some reason, the computer or device which was playing a slideshow kept flickering with noise, they couldnt fix it, and so i turned off my wireless function, and it went back to normal, than i turned it on again and it happened again, and i finally turned it off lol and it went back to normal.

weird...

Buddy4point0
March 28th, 2007, 04:36
woah dude that is wierd

mnuhaily22
March 28th, 2007, 11:33
I used wireless on a plane the other day I flew to Malysia from Dubai...

Broadus
March 28th, 2007, 15:46
I've always wondered why the US airlines I've been on always say "keep electronic devices off" while ascending and descending, and when flying level, cell phones must be put into "airplane mode", but they never bothered with the idea that PSPs and Nintendo DSs have wireless multiplay that two kids could enjoy.
I turn off the WLAN switch on my PSP, anyway, but they've never actually said anything about it.

sinjinn
March 29th, 2007, 23:23
I used wireless on a plane the other day I flew to Malysia from Dubai...

i just got back from dubai yesterday, they are really building high and i was using my psp briefly with wi-fi becos i always leave it on . but not during take off or landing . I wouldnt use again tho, becos all the way home i ws thinking the plane might crash anyway .