PDA

View Full Version : Which religion do you practice?

ExcruciationX
March 29th, 2007, 17:43
I'd like to see what religion is prevalent on this forum.

Gizmo356
March 29th, 2007, 17:45
None.

ExcruciationX
March 29th, 2007, 17:52
None.
Really, eh? :)

Darksaviour69
March 29th, 2007, 17:52
Christianity and Catholicism is the same thing ( the word Catholic means universal)

it should be either just Christianity or Protestant and Catholic

Gizmo356
March 29th, 2007, 17:54
Really, eh? :)

Yeah I'm really tired of people giving god all the credit for what people have worked hard to do themselves.

devdj
March 29th, 2007, 17:58
it's all for pussy

ExcruciationX
March 29th, 2007, 18:00
Oh, okay. You can edit it if you want (NOT TOO MUCH).

While you're there, can you change Scientology to Scientologist?

Yeah I'm really tired of people giving god all the credit for what people have worked hard to do themselves.

If only you were a girl...

tsimehC
March 29th, 2007, 18:24
What's the point of this thread? People will either say flame people who hold religious beliefs or just won't post.

Darksaviour69
March 29th, 2007, 18:31
if anyone flame's anyone, they will get themselves a nice little ban. lets be adults about this

Gizmo356
March 29th, 2007, 18:46
if anyone flame's anyone, they will get themselves a nice little ban. lets be adults about this

:) Thats 1times job.

Hawq
March 29th, 2007, 18:52
Jedi, no wait Sith! its more fun

bullhead
March 29th, 2007, 18:56
Baptised catholic, but im not at all religious

ICE
March 29th, 2007, 19:02
hmm since christian isnt on the list and none of the choices are really fully christian i'll go with other :D

Darksaviour69
March 29th, 2007, 19:05
hmm since christian isnt on the list and none of the choices are really fully christian i'll go with other :D

Christian is split into 2 groups, Protestant and Catholic, or i'm i missing something?

Christianity and catholic were the same thing, until the split. So if your a Christian but not a catholic, your a protestant, thats how I see it.

Having said that, think Orthodox are still Catholic...

edit: actually its alot more complex than that

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/ChristianityBranches.svg/600px-ChristianityBranches.svg.png

ExcruciationX
March 29th, 2007, 19:13
Yeah, he removed the "Christian" option from the poll.

Darksaviour69
March 29th, 2007, 19:19
Yeah, he removed the "Christian" option from the poll.

well haveing Christian and catholic as too different options was wrong... but it might have been better just to remove catholic and just have christian

ExcruciationX
March 29th, 2007, 19:48
Can you put it back?

ICE
March 29th, 2007, 19:51
bah catholics arent christians!!! they may have branched off from christians but their beliefs are not christian beliefs!!! they think of themselves as christians and thats how most people see them but they're honestly not. protestant however is pretty close but still has some flaws.

basically heres where i stand: on that plot thing i want to be right after where it says "early christian". over time people have changed crap around until christianity is what is it today. there is one truth and one way to heaven. there isnt room for 69836 different churches each with different beliefs.

what i think i should believe is what the early christians believed because they were the first and probably only TRUE christian church. im not saying protestants cant go to heaven.. they just arent COMPLETELY right. thats what i want to be.

EDIT: dont be offended. not flaming. just voicing my opinion. http://www.carm.org/catholic/saved.htm go here for more :D

splodger15
March 29th, 2007, 19:57
I have like my "own little religion"

I usually pray often.

Maybe for help if i am in trouble.

I worship God in my own little way.

Darksaviour69
March 29th, 2007, 20:20
bah catholics arent christians!!! they may have branched off from christians but their beliefs are not christian beliefs!!! they think of themselves as christians and thats how most people see them but they're honestly not. protestant however is pretty close but still has some flaws.

basically heres where i stand: on that plot thing i want to be right after where it says "early christian". over time people have changed crap around until christianity is what is it today. there is one truth and one way to heaven. there isnt room for 69836 different churches each with different beliefs.

what i think i should believe is what the early Christians believed because they were the first and probably only TRUE Christian church. im not saying protestants cant go to heaven.. they just arent COMPLETELY right. thats what i want to be.

EDIT: dont be offended. not flaming. just voicing my opinion. http://www.carm.org/catholic/saved.htm go here for more :D

the "Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry" are hardly a non-bias group, they are conservative Christians.

Of course we are all Christians (catholic, Protestant etc), unfortunately we let dogma and ego get in the way.

I'm catholic, but i don't not believe in everything the catholic church says. Personally I think, being as good as a person as you can be ( as Jesus taught) is the most important thing. Being in the right religion, or the right sect of the right religion is not as important... if at all

A good, repentant non-christen > a non-repentant, bad christen.

ICE
March 29th, 2007, 21:08
the "Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry" are hardly a non-bias group, they are conservative Christians.

Of course we are all Christians (catholic, Protestant etc), unfortunately we let dogma and ego get in the way.

I'm catholic, but i don't not believe in everything the catholic church says. Personally I think, being as good as a person as you can be ( as Jesus taught) is the most important thing. Being in the right religion, or the right sect of the right religion is not as important... if at all

A good, repentant non-christen > a non-repentant, bad christen.

jesus didnt say be nice and thats it. he didnt even say follow the 10 commandments and thats it. i think if your going to do something(ie. be a christian) you shouldnt do it halfway. mind the punctuation and be sure to dot all your I's lol.

repenting is not just saying sorry. its turning from you sin. all of them. well as best you can i mean we are only human. i choose to try and find out everything that is truly sin so i can fully repent.

i choose not to claim any denomination because none of them are completely correct. at least none ive found yet. im looking though.

darksavior, i honestly figured you were atheist by the way you were talking lol. i hope you look into this as much as you can and please ask any questions you may have. i dont know it all but i may have a different perspective on things and id love to help.

kcajblue
March 29th, 2007, 22:35
im roman catholic.

tgm123
March 29th, 2007, 23:11
My religion is homebrew and my god is strmnrmn

kcajblue
March 29th, 2007, 23:17
dont post junk in this thread.
if you didnt notice, this is offtopic not JUNK.

there is a difference.

JKKDARK
March 29th, 2007, 23:20
religion is fake, so I vote for none

souLLy
March 29th, 2007, 23:26
I think it is fair enough to have a prodestent and catholic option, but I don't think I've ever heard a non-catholic Christian ever describe themselves as a prodestent though- it might be an Irish or a Catholic thing...

I don't think the denomination stuff does anyone any favours anyway, it just confuses the hell out of any non-christians and makes christians look divided. I mean fair enough if you feel as though a certain denomination is closer to what feels right to you then great, but I think by bickering over details, translations etc. Suggesting this is right or this is wrong definitively when it comes to interpretation sort of misses the bigger picture to me.

I'd come under the prodestent heading on this list. I don't pretent to know everything on the subject, but I do make a concious effort to live my life by it.

religion is fake, so I vote for none

You know that if you spend your life stating your opinion as fact, you're not going to make many friends.

Jeremysr
March 29th, 2007, 23:30
I'm a Christian but don't call it a religion. I picked protestant since that's the closest thing. (But it doesn't really matter what religion you're in or if you're not in any at all, you can still be a Christian. But worshiping other gods is wrong so you don't find us inside religions usually.)

Triv1um
March 29th, 2007, 23:32
I am a athiest (spelling?)

mexicansnake
March 29th, 2007, 23:35
im roman catholic.

Im roman catholic too.

mexicansnake
March 29th, 2007, 23:37
Btw satanism and wicca are banned on my country, they are highly illegal.

kcajblue
March 29th, 2007, 23:39
i hate people who are satanist.
they are scary. and why would someone want to believe in satan anyway.

Darksaviour69
March 29th, 2007, 23:40
repenting is not just saying sorry. its turning from you sin. all of them. well as best you can i mean we are only human. i choose to try and find out everything that is truly sin so i can fully repent.

I agree. Saying sorry is not the same as being sorry.

My faith goes further than that, but I think It better to find common ground with as many people/ religions as we can (which is not that hard) I don't believe that god will only save Christians, because so many people are brought up in different cultures, they no very little about Christianity and so many "Christians" do bad things in the name of Christianity, its gives it a bad name. I like to think God is fair, and looks passed human politics that churches/ religions are.

I think it is fair enough to have a prodestent and catholic option, but I don't think I've ever heard a non-catholic Christian ever describe themselves as a prodestent though- it might be an Irish or a Catholic thing...

I don't think the denomination stuff does anyone any favours anyway, it just confuses the hell out of any non-christians and makes christians look divided. I mean fair enough if you feel as though a certain denomination is closer to what feels right to you then great, but I think by bickering over details, translations etc. Suggesting this is right or this is wrong definitively when it comes to interpretation sort of misses the bigger picture to me.

I'd come under the prodestent heading on this list. I don't pretent to know everything on the subject, but I do make a concious effort to live my life by it.

I always thought that the name protestant covered many different split off groups from Catholicism, i,e all non- catholic's are protestants (ignoring eastern orthodox )

You know that if you spend your life stating your opinion as fact, you're not going to make many friends.

agreed

kcajblue
March 29th, 2007, 23:43
this is what i think.

there is only one god.

but people have different views about that one god because they were raised to believe something else.

bullhead
March 29th, 2007, 23:58
Heres one for you: "the only thing more injurious to truth, than lies, is conviction"

bull, x.

SSaxdude
March 30th, 2007, 00:02
Agnosticism for me. I used to "be" a catholic last year.

souLLy
March 30th, 2007, 00:05
I always thought that the name protestant covered many different split off groups from Catholicism, i,e all non- catholic's are protestants (ignoring eastern orthodox )

I couldn't tell you mate, like I say it's not really a term that I've heard used outside of news reports about the Northern Ireland conflicts.

ExcruciationX
March 30th, 2007, 00:14
Satanists don't actually worship Satan. Satan is "just a symbol".

blaz3d
March 30th, 2007, 00:28
i hate people who are satanist.
they are scary. and why would someone want to believe in satan anyway.

scary isnt the word, id say misguided. Im not for forcing anything on to anyone, let alone religion, but the idea of satan revolves around there being an alternative to the devil, ie God. Soo... if your a satanist you must belive in God to a certian extent!(no offence to satanists)

I am a protestant by description round here but, i would personally call myself christian

also id like to say that all the points posted have been very informative and ive really enjoyed reading them, especially darksaviours christianity tree!

spiritual peace

ICE
March 30th, 2007, 01:07
I don't believe that god will only save Christians, because so many people are brought up in different cultures, they no very little about Christianity and so many "Christians" do bad things in the name of Christianity, its gives it a bad name. I like to think God is fair, and looks passed human politics that churches/ religions are.

"im am THE way THE truth and THE light. NO ONE gets to the father except through me " -Jesus lol

christians have a bad name because most people you see on tv claiming christianity are full of crap.. or satan or something....

it is OUR responsibility to witness to the lost and spread the gospel across the world. millions of people havent heard the name jesus and its OUR fault as christians. harsh i know.

Chameleon
March 30th, 2007, 01:11
amen

wolfpack
March 30th, 2007, 01:48
cant we all just get along and shoot each other in the face in halo 2 instead of arguing over religion?

SSaxdude
March 30th, 2007, 03:05
it is OUR responsibility to witness to the lost and spread the gospel across the world. millions of people havent heard the name jesus and its OUR fault as christians. harsh i know.

See this is the problem. Christians (and most religious people) are trying to get me to believe in their religion. I think it's horrible enough that christians try to have creationism tought in our public schools. How about you don't teach creationism in our public schools, and I don't teach real science in your church.

VampDude
March 30th, 2007, 03:12
Btw satanism and wicca are banned on my country, they are highly illegal.

Why are they???

Satanism is cool, Anton Szandor LaVey wrote one of the best books ever - The Satanic Bible

---

Anyway, I'm a Vampire/Goth...

...Vampirism and studying Demonology are my religions, although Demonology isn't as much a religion it's more of a study of demons which has been a passing hobby since I was young

ICE
March 30th, 2007, 03:24
See this is the problem. Christians (and most religious people) are trying to get me to believe in their religion. I think it's horrible enough that christians try to have creationism tought in our public schools. How about you don't teach creationism in our public schools, and I don't teach real science in your church.

whatever. all we're supposed to do is "plant the seed". we simply tell you the truth and and if you dont care walk away.

evolution is a theory and its taught. why should religion not be taught as at least a theory?

mcvader
March 30th, 2007, 04:53
I'm Catholic on my birth certificate.

I don't really want to put myself in any groups so I'll just say I don't believe in the supernatural.

ExcruciationX
March 30th, 2007, 05:13
I believe in the supernatural because I have had supernatural experiences (I.E weird shit).

mexicansnake
March 30th, 2007, 05:35
Why are they???

Satanism is cool, Anton Szandor LaVey wrote one of the best books ever - The Satanic Bible

---

Anyway, I'm a Vampire/Goth...

...Vampirism and studying Demonology are my religions, although Demonology isn't as much a religion it's more of a study of demons which has been a passing hobby since I was young

The most part of Mexico is catholic, here the satanism is more dangerous than other countries, they sacrifice PEOPLE and animals on ways of extintion. Its highly banned on the mexican constitution.(I dont remember # of the article) and the current legislature (50th) completely banned this, if you see satanists on the streets, clubs etc they can go to jail for like 10 years, harsh I know but its fair enough. They ban this for social security to prevent murders, robbery, antiethic and antimoral rituals...

Yobumtin
March 30th, 2007, 05:50
I don't believe anything. I don't believe scientific theories or religion theories. I'm not going to believe in something unless I know for a fact. And I doubt that will ever happen. But I do respect other's believes and I like to read up on the many interesting theories. Like ExcruciationX linked to the string theory and I've never heard about that one. All of this stuff is pretty interesting.

Cap'n 1time
March 30th, 2007, 06:36
Should I edit it and add GIANT ROBOT JESUS?

kcajblue
March 30th, 2007, 06:40
no cause this isnt JUNK.
if it was i would say yes. but this time its a no.

bullhead
March 30th, 2007, 06:43
Yes cap'n1time, yes you should. This whole thing is ridiculous and is putting a strange taste in my mouth.

Cap'n 1time
March 30th, 2007, 07:04
Well, we all know i pulled GIANT ROBOT JESUS out of my ass one day... but does that make me any different than L Ron Hubbard? Yet, Scientology gets thrown up there. I am sick of these religious threads really. They are long, and boring, and most of the arguments are based upon one thing "this is what my parents taught me when i was little! everyone else is wrong!" I find it disgusting. If the god of whichever one of these has a problem with that he can feel the wrath of my ban hammer.

tactful mcbee
March 30th, 2007, 07:36
to everyone that says they are christian based:

HAVE YOU READ THE BIBLE!!!!!

"every religion" is okay? every religion contridicts each beliefs systems way of salvation. fyi...THATS A BIG DIFFERENCE!!! quit listening to brain washed pastors and read the bible for yourselves. start with a clean slate of beliefs before you die.

by the way to the actual topic: messianic judaism.

jewish beliefs and rituals, but believe jesus is the messiah..( in case you wanted to know)

Darksaviour69
March 30th, 2007, 09:29

so others get punished, because of our failings? That does not sound like "our" fair and loving god.

to be honest its been a long time since i read the bible, i'm going to go though it again some day.

souLLy
March 30th, 2007, 11:08
Yes cap'n1time, yes you should. This whole thing is ridiculous and is putting a strange taste in my mouth.

I think there's a place for discussing this in an adult manner. I do think one thread is enough though, keeping in mind this is a gaming site.

TheICEMan, I appreciate where you're coming from, but being semi-forceful with your views on the subject doesn't help your cause mate. Attitudes towards other people like that, well meant or not just make people feel uncomfortable.

gdf
March 30th, 2007, 12:29
i don't like it when christians try to tell me to become part of their faith. being an ATHEIST i can think for myself.

tactful mcbee
March 30th, 2007, 15:09
so others get punished, because of our failings? That does not sound like "our" fair and loving god.

to be honest its been a long time since i read the bible, i'm going to go though it again some day.

if god was fair we would all be in hell. you have to remember god is just, which means if you sin once his justice demands us to be punished. but his love and mercy gave us a sacrifice in place of ourselves which is jesus the messiah. jesus' sacrifice sufficed god's justice which makes us able to fellowship with the Father. if you don't accept that sacrifice, you have to satisfy god's justice(hell).

and again to the gaming site. we are in the off topic forum

souLLy
March 30th, 2007, 15:16
and again to the gaming site. we are in the off topic forum

That's true, but I don't think we need 25 threads about religion at once.

Kaiser
March 30th, 2007, 15:31

Please don't lump all Christians together like that. As a Catholic I have never been taught creatonism in school (btw I grew up in Catholic schools).

ExcruciationX
March 30th, 2007, 15:36
Guys, can we just not discuss it?

All this thread is meant to be is to find out what religion has the most people.

Darksaviour69
March 30th, 2007, 15:41
Please don't lump all Christians together like that. As a Catholic I have never been taught creatonism in school (btw I grew up in Catholic schools).

same here

tactful mcbee
March 30th, 2007, 17:48
hey ex, you might find this interesting http://[URL="http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855613.html[/URL]

mexicansnake
March 30th, 2007, 20:27

Same here, Im still studying on a catholic school, its like another nomal school, they teach us normal science (origin of universe, origin of life), they dont speak about creationism.

VampDude
March 30th, 2007, 20:38
The most part of Mexico is catholic, here the satanism is more dangerous than other countries, they sacrifice PEOPLE and animals on ways of extintion. Its highly banned on the mexican constitution.(I dont remember # of the article) and the current legislature (50th) completely banned this, if you see satanists on the streets, clubs etc they can go to jail for like 10 years, harsh I know but its fair enough. They ban this for social security to prevent murders, robbery, antiethic and antimoral rituals...

Sacrafices have to be made (for reasons), I've only seen animal sacriligion which in my belief is ok as animals are'nt human...

...Mexico kinda sucks, do they enforce a certain type of religion on people?

ExcruciationX
March 30th, 2007, 21:02
hey ex, you might find this interesting http://[url="http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855613.html[/url]
Yeah.

Coincidentally, that's where I got the spelling for most of the religions.

PLZKLLME0080
March 31st, 2007, 03:53
i dont do any of them. i wont say why as the complicity of it will blow your brains out.

mexicansnake
March 31st, 2007, 06:47
Sacrafices have to be made (for reasons), I've only seen animal sacriligion which in my belief is ok as animals are'nt human...

..Mexico kinda sucks., do they enforce a certain type of religion on people?

No, you are free on this country, stop saying that You should respect other countries and cultures. Sorry but your mentality kinda sucks...

Indeed, they sacrifice humans for their evil rituals.

tactful mcbee
March 31st, 2007, 07:53
i dont do any of them. i wont say why as the complicity of it will blow your brains out.

try me

ExcruciationX
March 31st, 2007, 19:41
...But they are conscious beings. I think that is wrong, and I'm sure most people here will agree with me.

I'm not a "meany greenie" per say, but I think sacrificing an animal right in front of you, when you have direct control over it is wrong.

tactful mcbee
March 31st, 2007, 20:39
hey ex, it might interesting to run a poll and see what religion has the most "converts"(i couldn't think of a better word) to atheism.

stotheamuel
March 31st, 2007, 20:51
I am the second coming.

You are all wrong.

VampDude
April 1st, 2007, 06:12
No, you are free on this country, stop saying that You should respect other countries and cultures. Sorry but your mentality kinda sucks...

??? :confused:

Indeed, they sacrifice humans for their evil rituals.

All rituals can be seen as evil by some, I just remembered that a few years ago in Mexico this guy ate his gay lover I think they blamed Satanism for that inparticular incident???

ExcruciationX
April 1st, 2007, 17:14
All rituals can be seen as evil by some, I just remembered that a few years ago in Mexico this guy ate his gay lover I think they blamed Satanism for that inparticular incident???
PCP?

I heart Nintendo
April 3rd, 2007, 17:26
I practice Nintendo

mexicansnake
April 3rd, 2007, 21:16
??? :confused:

Yeah, I saw something like that on the news... They found marijuana and some satanic pics on his room :p .

LilSwish722
April 3rd, 2007, 22:49
This is kinda weird. I mean, I see problems in almost all religions. I mean Satinist, Scientologist, Atheism, Catholic...they all have their problems. This is due to the fact that Christianity was the religion that Jesus practiced. And no, Jesus was not a Jewish practicer...he was a Jewish man in the sense of a Culture not a religion....I mean, if you have your own religions, I'm sure you will disagree with my post.

Cap'n 1time
April 4th, 2007, 01:25
And no, Jesus was not a Jewish practicer...he was a Jewish man in the sense of a Culture not a religion....I mean, if you have your own religions, I'm sure you will disagree with my post.

The bible clearly states... somewhere. Jesus was a good Jew that obeyed the jewish laws and practiced. Cyber cookies for the person that finds that quote.

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 01:32
try me

dont hassle me about this!!!

for something to exist, it hast to be created by something right? that means that something would have to creat god. and that something that created god would have to be created by something, ect...
this sends any religion beliving in god into a paradox, along with all existance as well... do we really exist?
dont think too hard now.

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 01:39
wow i hope nobody killed themselvs thinking too hard and goin crazy because of my idea...

edit: i almost did

ICE
April 4th, 2007, 01:47
um jesus was a jew because he couldnt be a christian as it didnt exist until after he died and rose again.

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 01:50
um jesus was a jew because he couldnt be a christian as it didnt exist until after he died and rose again.

WOW!!! to the christian community, "BURNT!!!"

ICE
April 4th, 2007, 01:57
um im a christian and the fact that jesus was a jew means nothing. christian means little christ and it'd be awful hard for jesus to be a little jesus eh?

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 01:59
oh, then a blow to the christian community that means nothing to them?

ICE
April 4th, 2007, 02:01
its not a blow to christians so much as its nothing.

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 02:07
ok, an attemped blow to the christian community by a member of it that is absolutely nothing?

tactful mcbee
April 4th, 2007, 16:44
dont hassle me about this!!!

for something to exist, it hast to be created by something right? that means that something would have to creat god. and that something that created god would have to be created by something, ect...
this sends any religion beliving in god into a paradox, along with all existance as well... do we really exist?
dont think too hard now.

sounds like you've watched the matrix to many times. the that God said Iam that I am meant that He is an eternal being. He created time and everything that your simple mind could come up with. the fact you believe in your own existence contridicts your quote, since you say something can come from nothing. don't think too hard on that good sir.

edit: to the notion that Jesus wasn't a jew... read the bible. decendent of david, tribe of judah, messiah of the jews, king of jews, He fulfilled the law of moses, to the jew first also the greek, taught in the jewish temple. if you want more examples say the word... christian isn't the word first believers were called. christ is a greek word that all gods were called including zuess jupiter, etc. jesus was called the messiah not christ. you can thank pagean influences for the christ title.

21Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.

22And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

24But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

25Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

26But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.

27And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

28Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

matthew 15

weirdelf
April 4th, 2007, 16:54
Wow... no jews.

tactful mcbee
April 5th, 2007, 07:06
Wow... no jews.

i don't know what you mean by that

edit oh! well i'm a messianic jew

bullhead
April 5th, 2007, 18:41
i don't know what you mean by that

Well... no one here at DCEMU is jewish. He said, "wow...no jews" as in, wow, there are no jews at DCEMU.

Bull, x.

Cap'n 1time
April 6th, 2007, 00:58
I have no religion. I think christianity has turned into a way of creating xenophobia. Many Christians seem to compare all people of other religions or beliefs to satanists or barbarians. While there are many people who claim that it is their duty to convert these "barbarians" to Christianity (as we know it) they have managed to bring down those societies, spread disease to countries and thus death and destruction Created fear and hatred amongst those they oppressed which eventually lead to all sorts of wars and battles that continue to this day with millions of deaths that never should have happened. I'm fairly certain that is not what Jesus stood for, and yet even today they continue to do so in a very smug, selfish fashion. Of course, not all Christians are like that, but they seem to all have "leaders" who are like that.

If god understood how to create the foundations of the universe, create time and space, and create the complexed system of laws that govern this realm of existence, then surely that god wouldn't cast people to hell based upon how they were brought up. It's the same idea as racism. You are free to believe what you will, and say what you will, but you are not free to attack and condemn others because of some collection of very old scrolls that have been mistranslated dozens of times. Oddly enough, the newest selection of these scrolls say to love everyone and treat them all with respect, and yet you would still condemn them, using these peaceful writings as a means to attack other people. I find it a disgusting aspect of human behavior. I do not believe the Bible's intent was to create xenophobia, or wars, or death.

Is there a god? I wont pretend to know, but I do know that this bit of human nature that creates so much support for one idea, and hate for one another are doing us no good.

Jesus, Buddha - both great men that had the correct idea. Follow their teachings. They taught peace and love, not hate and war.

ihatepsp
April 6th, 2007, 02:26
im pretty sure christian means jesus christ-like so technically jesus is jewish and christian cuz he is most like jesus.
by the way i am atheist. was christian.

tactful mcbee
April 6th, 2007, 19:13
christos means anointed i.e. the messiah of the jews. christianos (greek for christian) means follower of christ i.e. follower of the jewish messiah

by the way, jesus said in revelation he was coming back to rid the world of wicked people and gather the believers to heaven. jesus did preach peace and love, but he also said keep his commandments and fear the Father who can destroy body and soul.

Psalm 139:20-22 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

20For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

21Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 19:55
I have no religion. I think christianity has turned into a way of creating xenophobia. Many Christians seem to compare all people of other religions or beliefs to satanists or barbarians. While there are many people who claim that it is their duty to convert these "barbarians" to Christianity (as we know it) they have managed to bring down those societies, spread disease to countries and thus death and destruction Created fear and hatred amongst those they oppressed which eventually lead to all sorts of wars and battles that continue to this day with millions of deaths that never should have happened. I'm fairly certain that is not what Jesus stood for, and yet even today they continue to do so in a very smug, selfish fashion. Of course, not all Christians are like that, but they seem to all have "leaders" who are like that.

so you have no religion because what you THINK is christianity is wrong?

christians destroyed societies and brought disease!?!?! what christians are you referring to? lol

our "leaders" are corrupt so we're wrong? i suppose while bill clinton was in office we were all adulterers eh? THEY ARENT OUR LEADERS!! my leader is JESUS!! lol

If god understood how to create the foundations of the universe, create time and space, and create the complexed system of laws that govern this realm of existence, then surely that god wouldn't cast people to hell based upon how they were brought up. It's the same idea as racism. You are free to believe what you will, and say what you will, but you are not free to attack and condemn others because of some collection of very old scrolls that have been mistranslated dozens of times. Oddly enough, the newest selection of these scrolls say to love everyone and treat them all with respect, and yet you would still condemn them, using these peaceful writings as a means to attack other people. I find it a disgusting aspect of human behavior. I do not believe the Bible's intent was to create xenophobia, or wars, or death.

if G-d is wise he should be fair? you perception of "fair" is wrong. we have ALL sinned. the punishment for sin is DEATH and HELL.

fair is everyone going to hell because we've earned it.

fair is NOT saying that the bible was mistranslated dozens of times when it wasnt. 98% textually pure alright? people quite bringing that up as proof. its wrong.

fair is not jesus dying to spare each and everyone from hell. he payed the debt we owed. thats not fair.

Is there a god? I wont pretend to know, but I do know that this bit of human nature that creates so much support for one idea, and hate for one another are doing us no good.

human nature is to be dominant. people who cannot control those urges shouldnt be listened to. dont use them as an example of me/christians.

Jesus, Buddha - both great men that had the correct idea. Follow their teachings. They taught peace and love, not hate and war.

whats your point? lol j/k

people please dont compile your opinion of christians based on the public leaders of so called christian churches and organizations.

before you tell everyone how christianity is wrong and full of corruption please take the time to find out who the real christians are.

the corrupt leaders and money-making groups stamped as christian by the media and by their leaders are giving us a bad name. im sick of it.

if someone was walking around claiming to be you hurting people and lying wouldnt you be offended? all i ask is find out if its really us or just an impostor.

by the way im not attacking you cap'n. im just using your post as an example. i have nothing against you and mean you no offense.

Cap'n 1time
April 6th, 2007, 20:38
I dont have a religion because I don't know, and I don't like it people pretend to know.

christians destroyed societies and brought disease!?!?! what christians are you referring to? lol

Read the history books. Hell, even when they came to America, they brought smallpox, and all kinds of diseases, while that has nothing to do with Religion or Christianity, my next point does. The native americans where shunned and hated because they didnt worship a god they knew nothing about, and couldnt possibly known anything about.

The majority of christians I have met are smug, assholes who feel they know everything. Ironically, so are most Atheists, which I find funny. They battle back and forth with arguments that dont really help either side. I dont pretend to know anything except what we have discovered about our existence, which is very little and ultimately means very little.

Here is my HUGE problem with the christian outlook. I dont know what Jesus' outlook was, but the majority of Chrisitans seem to believe this was it:

"OMG YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT JESUS OR ELSE YOU WILL BURN FOR ETERNITY IN A PLACE CALLED HELL!"

Really now? So the thousands of decent people, people who are very constructive in there societies who have never and will never have the opportunity to learn about this guy will burn in a place called hell for all eternity? So from ~3x AD (when jesus died) to about 200 AD when the church really kicked off all these thousands of people just sort of went to hell... with no idea why they were there. If thats the case they probably dont feel sorry for themselves, gnashing at the teeth and begging god for forgivness, more likely they think God is an Asshole.

The thing is, this sort of supports the idea of some sort of superior group of men who got to learn about this guy, but while there are millions of decent people in the world they and only they went to heaven. I dont know If that makes any sense to you, but it make sense to me. That is some made up bullshit created by the early early EARLY catholic church and the xenophobic bullshit continues today. Its not just found in Christianity of course, there are extremists of every religion (but maybe not so much Buddhism). Jesus taught us to love and respect one another, and try to coexist peacefully, as did the Buddha and as did Mohamed.

Churches do some wonderful stuff, there is no denying that, but they all follow some bullshit that really doesnt make much sense.

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 21:09
I dont have a religion because I don't know, and I don't like it people pretend to know.

Read the history books. Hell, even when they came to America, they brought smallpox, and all kinds of diseases, while that has nothing to do with Religion or Christianity, my next point does. The native americans where shunned and hated because they didnt worship a god they knew nothing about, and couldnt possibly known anything about.

The majority of christians I have met are smug, assholes who feel they know everything. Ironically, so are most Atheists, which I find funny. They battle back and forth with arguments that dont really help either side. I dont pretend to know anything except what we have discovered about our existence, which is very little and ultimately means very little.

Here is my HUGE problem with the christian outlook. I dont know what Jesus' outlook was, but the majority of Chrisitans seem to believe this was it:

"OMG YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT JESUS OR ELSE YOU WILL BURN FOR ETERNITY IN A PLACE CALLED HELL!"

Really now? So the thousands of decent people, people who are very constructive in there societies who have never and will never have the opportunity to learn about this guy will burn in a place called hell for all eternity? So from ~3x AD (when jesus died) to about 200 AD when the church really kicked off all these thousands of people just sort of went to hell... with no idea why they were there. If thats the case they probably dont feel sorry for themselves, gnashing at the teeth and begging god for forgivness, more likely they think God is an Asshole.

The thing is, this sort of supports the idea of some sort of superior group of men who got to learn about this guy, but while there are millions of decent people in the world they and only they went to heaven. I dont know If that makes any sense to you, but it make sense to me. That is some made up bullshit created by the early early EARLY catholic church and the xenophobic bullshit continues today. Its not just found in Christianity of course, there are extremists of every religion (but maybe not so much Buddhism). Jesus taught us to love and respect one another, and try to coexist peacefully, as did the Buddha and as did Mohamed.

Churches do some wonderful stuff, there is no denying that, but they all follow some bullshit that really doesnt make much sense.

i dont mean to sound like a broken record but i guess i have no choice. stop compiling your opinion of christians by looking at people who arent!! christians CANT be smug or and a**hole.

just because you think that they're decent people doesnt mean they are to G-d. G-d is PERFECT. he is light. light CANNOT mingle with dark(thats us).

G-d loves you and wants to be with you but he cant becuase he is light we are dark. thats what jesus is for. he makes us light too.

coexist peacefully yes. i simply tell everyone the truth and if they dont accept it i stop. however i wont let people further the notion that christians are all smug a**holes or hypocrites or anything else thats not true.

if someone says they're a christian dont believe them!!! if they act like christ AND say they're a christian think on it for a while then maybe believe them lol.

LilSwish722
April 6th, 2007, 22:26
I have to agree with IceMans points. Just becuase SOME christians have messed up ideas, doesn't mean the whole of christians are messed up. Granted, there are a few people who take Christianity to an extreme, but that's in every religion. That's what's going on in the war in Iraq. Radical Muslims. But not all Muslims are messed up. It's a typical stereotype. Almost everyone expects christians to do nothing but try to convert people. That's not entirely true. Most christians just tend to leave people alone about their own religion or lack there of, out of RESPECT. I mean, it's pretty sad in todays society where the only people that it is socially "ok" to make fun of is Christians. Gay people can't be made fun of anymore. Muslims can't be made fun of. Christians are the only people tht it is acceptable to make fun of. Why?...mainly because we tend to be peaceful people and tend not to complain to much.

gdf
April 6th, 2007, 23:00
wow 1time what a great guy. rep for that.

tactful mcbee
April 7th, 2007, 19:13
[quote] Read the history books [quote/]

yea that was the catholic church. they killed about 68 million protestant, jews, and atheist during the spanish inquistion. WE ARE NOT CATHOLIC.

[quote] "OMG YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT JESUS OR ELSE YOU WILL BURN FOR ETERNITY IN A PLACE CALLED HELL!" [quote/]

if you don't accept the purpose you were made for, then prepare to accept the consequences. God made an easy way to be with Him, and you have the nerve to say He is an a**hole. jesus died for you so you don't have to die, but you think your so righteous you don't need a substitute. if you think God is going to debate with you, i feel sorry for you.
these are your options. don't like them, get over it.

Classic80s
April 7th, 2007, 20:56
How do we even know Jesus died for "our" sins? First of all we weren't even alive. Not to mention the fact he knew he was going to this so called heaven for eternity after three days of suffering. He can't truly die for our sins unless he is rotting in hell right now.

All my information on Jesus was from a single page of yahoo answers and all my public elementary school teachers that kindly forced Christianity on us.

TeenDev
April 7th, 2007, 21:34
why are we arguing? why cant we be peaceful and stop discrimination..... ahh screw it...

LilSwish722
April 7th, 2007, 21:37
How do we even know Jesus died for "our" sins? First of all we weren't even alive. Not to mention the fact he knew he was going to this so called heaven for eternity after three days of suffering. He can't truly die for our sins unless he is rotting in hell right now.

All my information on Jesus was from a single page of yahoo answers and all my public elementary school teachers that kindly forced Christianity on us.

That statement makes absolutely no sense. Jesus didn't suffer for three days. He was dead for three days. Then he raised up and spent 40 days (I think) with his disciples before ascending to heaven. And just because you die doesn't mean you go to hell. So that part of your statement makes no sense either. And if you think there is a hell, then you have to believe in a Heaven. Darkness CANNOT exist without light beside it and vice-versa. One cannot exist without the other.

gdf
April 8th, 2007, 10:43
no god made me. AND WHAT ******* GAVE ME NEGATIVE REP!? i'll hunt you down and rip your balls off!

ExcruciationX
April 11th, 2007, 16:47
no god made me. AND WHAT ******* GAVE ME NEGATIVE REP!? i'll hunt you down and rip your balls off!
Dunno, but I do know one thing...

I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico.

stotheamuel
May 5th, 2007, 20:17
Well those of you who say jesus rose up after 3 days, how do you know?

Rhombus
May 6th, 2007, 23:42

Nicely put. I hope this thread isn't stopped because of flaming, I am interested in other religions and why people think what they think. But don't try to get me to convert I am stubborn, but I might look at things differently.