PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew users banned from upgrading

Shrygue
March 29th, 2007, 20:37
via PSP Fanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/29/homebrew-users-banned-from-upgrading/)

Many PSP Homebrewers seem upset that they can't upgrade to Sony's latest official firmware. Why? Because they've been using custom firmware on TA-082 PSPs. The 3.30 firmware installer doesn't seem to run on these modified systems, giving a mysterious 'DRNffffffd7 error code." These glitches seem to mirror the many found when Ratchet & Clank was released. So much for respecting the homebrew scene, huh?

Firmware 3.30 gives users some important functionality, such as official support for full-resolution videos and free internet access at T-Mobile Hotspots nationwide. For now, it seems as though users of custom firmware will have to wait until Dark_Alex and the rest of the homebrew community work their magic again.

DPyro
March 29th, 2007, 20:51
You mean important functionality that homebrew already has?

Boardman2411
March 29th, 2007, 20:55
one quick question. why would most custom firmware users upgrade to OFFICIAL firmware, when they can wiat for a custom firmware?

gunntims0103
March 29th, 2007, 20:55
if your a homebrew user, you really should'nt be upset because this always happens and is not new to most of us. When a new firmware comes out we simply wait it out to see if it gets hacked or not. The updates are good but nothing to serious, the t-mobile hotspot thing sounds nice though.

ExcruciationX
March 29th, 2007, 20:57
Um, why would you want to upgrade from a custom firmware to an offical firmware?

Becides, we can dump it from the eboot anyway.

Cokemusic
March 29th, 2007, 21:04
I don't think Sony would block homebrew users intentionaly since part of the reason for upgrades is to tempt hombrewers away into the darkness (and for some away from piracy).

Edit : Who ever gave me bad rep for this post , it was meant to be funny !,

Edit : Thanx !!! :) you know who you are

Emeriastone
March 29th, 2007, 21:04
If TA-082 custom firmware users think 3.30 has "important functionality" I think they've been missing what homebrew has to offer...

Plus, if you really want full res videos, try PMP mod AVC or a brew of the similar quality, and XVid4PSP. You won't be sorry.

wolfpack
March 29th, 2007, 21:06
Its only a matter of time before the man Dark Alex makes sony shudder in fear with his custom firmwire.

luis_05
March 29th, 2007, 21:07
i agree with everyone hear but still SONY are just player haters!! lol

DarthPaul
March 29th, 2007, 21:19
Omg thanks! That means that if this didn't happen now we could have lost a lot of homebrewers. They would be on 3.30 right now homebrewless.

mnky
March 29th, 2007, 21:30
twit, no official updates have ever run on the custom firmware. Its due to the way DAX made it and its clearly documented.
Next time try to make a real post rather than just another feeble attempt for some shock value.

camcorderdoctor
March 29th, 2007, 21:30
via PSP Fanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/29/homebrew-users-banned-from-upgrading/)

Many PSP Homebrewers seem upset that they can't upgrade to Sony's latest official firmware. Why? Because they've been using custom firmware on TA-082 PSPs. The 3.30 firmware installer doesn't seem to run on these modified systems, giving a mysterious 'DRNffffffd7 error code." These glitches seem to mirror the many found when Ratchet & Clank was released. So much for respecting the homebrew scene, huh?

Firmware 3.30 gives users some important functionality, such as official support for full-resolution videos and free internet access at T-Mobile Hotspots nationwide. For now, it seems as though users of custom firmware will have to wait until Dark_Alex and the rest of the homebrew community work their magic again.
How do you know this to be true anyway - has someone tried the update and bricked there psp?

-=me=-
March 29th, 2007, 21:31
Why would they want to upgrade?
And T-moble free internet?? Internet's wireless, just drive by a suburb or gas station!

It does say not to run official updates on DAX readmes.

devdj
March 29th, 2007, 21:31
a well like i say screw or get screwed over.

Mc_Logical
March 29th, 2007, 21:47
Its only a matter of time before the man Dark Alex makes sony shudder in fear with his custom firmwire. I thought dark alex has stopped?

IM back!
March 29th, 2007, 21:55
why wold any Homebrewers upgrade?

pheonix1392
March 29th, 2007, 22:32
Did they try to downgrade first??! Remember, Dark Alex took off the ability to upgrade to official sony firmwares...U have to downgrade back to 1.5 first. And why would someone want to upgrade to that firmware, you can already play full res videos on 3.03 OE-C can't you? People should just wait thil D-A cracks this too.

Welshboy
March 29th, 2007, 23:09
have there been any improvements to popstation through this new firmware?.....i mean c'mon it's the only thing really worth caring about.

jonwww
March 29th, 2007, 23:33
pheonix1392, I was thinking the same thing about downgrade-then upgrade. Also in a way this is probably a really good thing because if you could upgrade straight up, how many dumb@$$es would be crying a few days from now saying "I'm stuck at 3.30 & need a downgrader!!!" wahhh

SSaxdude
March 30th, 2007, 00:09
DAX's custom firmware prevents the user from using an official Sony bricker (I mean updater) unless you downgrade to 1.5 first. But this is assuming you are insane enough to want to have 3.30.

Basil Zero
March 30th, 2007, 00:29
Um, why would you want to upgrade from a custom firmware to an offical firmware?

Becides, we can dump it from the eboot anyway.

and wouldnt it brick it if they do upgrade like that:rofl:

h4s30
March 30th, 2007, 00:35
Well I only use offical firmware from DAX

Chameleon
March 30th, 2007, 00:45
ta-082 users not able to upgrade to 3.30OE if it gets cracked, unless DA finds a way around it

Yobumtin
March 30th, 2007, 00:54
I don't think Sony would block homebrew users intentionaly since part of the reason for upgrades is to tempt hombrewers away into the darkness (and for some away from piracy).

Edit : Who ever gave me bad rep for this post , it was meant to be funny !

Thats messed. Why would you get bad repped for that. These kids gotta grow up. But I'm pretty excited for the new firmware to be cracked since there's apparently better popstation compatibility.

acn010
March 30th, 2007, 00:55
... damn.h done the same thing way before im:P

MicroNut
March 30th, 2007, 01:00
I thought you always had to go back to the official 1.5 before upgrading to any official Sony firmware.

Also, because the "ID_Storage" value of TA-82+ motherboards is patched so that it works with the custom firmware,
upgrades from any DA custom firmware to Official firmware would brick any patched TA-82+ PSP's,
because the official firmware wouldnt "know" about this custom, low level, patch.

Buddy4point0
March 30th, 2007, 02:40
i cant wait for 3.30 oe a

califrag
March 30th, 2007, 03:48
from dark alex's OE custom firmware readme files:

" Because official SCE updaters don't work in that 1.50 kernel environment (because they need some vsh files
not available), i've included with this package a flasher that lets to flash any official update from
1.50-2.71 to your psp.
To use it, copy the files inside inside "flasher for recovery/RECOVERY" in /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/
and the official SCE updater renamed as UPDATE.PBP in the same directory, and run the program
through the recovery option."

Known problems, remarks, etc
----------------------------

- "I tried, for some reason, to run a sce updater and it gives me a weird "DADADADA" error.
Running a sce updater can be dangerous, and because of that is disabled, and it will give you that
custom error code of mine."

mmedina
March 30th, 2007, 04:26
As has been said before: What are the real features that can possibly make a homebrew user to upgrade to an official firmware?

We still have to wait if there are changes to popstation or USB-handling PRX files. Those could be good reasons to make Dark Alex work in a new custom firmware. Otherwise, I think it's not worth.

Full resolution video? PMP AVC + XVid4PSP. If you haven't used those before, then you don't know what PSP homebrew is capable of, and thus, maybe it's a good idea to upgrade :P

mungrin
March 30th, 2007, 04:27
IM confused.I thought full screen resolution was unlocked in fw 2.80.

Im on 3.11 and i can play videos at fullscreen no problem.Am i missing something?

Poor-Kingz
March 30th, 2007, 04:31
3.10 OE-A has video resolution unlocked in the XMB already, right?

yongobongo
March 30th, 2007, 04:54
Stupid $ony. They're just MAKING us use custom firmware if we want their new features. They're practically telling us not to update (not that anyone would anyway :P)

Broadus
March 30th, 2007, 05:52
I know a crapload of people have spouted this perfectly intelligent statement right now, but it bears repeating:
Why are people who are utilizing magical homebrew-capable custom firwmares trying to upgrade to an official Sony firmware in the first place, which would thusly disable their homebrew capabilities?

Buddy4point0
March 30th, 2007, 12:18
im glad then cant upgrade, hopefully this will keep some noobs at bay untill d-a cooks up another cf

tvrstl
March 30th, 2007, 13:47
hehe, this firmware hasn't come out in norway yet,

but I believe that Dark-Alex will make this a OE- Firmware, and I rather play homebrews than the video stuff, so I'll stick with D-A's firmwares!

(sorry for my bad english!!)

Stone Temple Pilots
March 30th, 2007, 14:13
Where is DAX anyways? I'm surprised an OE-A for 3.30 hasn't come out already.

mnuhaily22
March 30th, 2007, 15:03
That is because it hasn't been decrypted or whatever^^^, but patience, it will come soon enough...

Stone Temple Pilots
March 30th, 2007, 15:06
Ahha, ok, I waited a year and a half for a PSone emulator for PSP (since it's release), so I guess I can wait for a CF update.

haaroon
March 30th, 2007, 22:19
ahh man i really want free internet, then i'll be able to help any one with anything on their psp all da time and browse on utube and stuff( feel free to PM me whenevr you need help, always happy to help, no ifss or butts from me just ok i'll soort you out!!)

psp411
March 31st, 2007, 06:50
the reason y this update wont work for us ta-082 mobo users usin custom firmware is becuz our idstorage tags have been modified... b/c of this, the psp refuses to update giving that weird error code

(this is what i think... i cud b wrong but i havnt heard of any other psp's with a non ta-082 mobo doin this...)

all in all, its another plot to punish homebrew users from sony... W/E... i can deal with the movie capabilities dat ma psp have rite now... im not picky for movie quality... n i dun need free internet since t-mobile aint in canada hahahahaa (itsall about the bell sympatico with the wireless router) :D :cool:

ish420ism
March 31st, 2007, 08:51
I think if DAX is the only one pumping out cool CFW, what happens when he stops. who carries on. who has brains to crack any FW. i don't. We'll be stuck 3.10oe for ever