PDA

View Full Version : Phil Harrison talks about the PlayStation 3's European launch

Shrygue
March 29th, 2007, 22:22
via PS3 Fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/03/29/phil-harrison-talks-about-the-playstation-3s-european-launch/)

Before we even get into the awesome list about what Phil Harrison spoke about, we have to quote the original article's opening sentence because it's so inspiring: "PS3 may have cemented its place in history as the most successful home console launch ever in the UK, but Sony World Wide Studios boss Phil Harrison says that there has never been a product launch like it in any sector." Bragging rights, anyone? No? Too selfish and rude? Okay, well, still. Fantastic.

Harrison's statements can be split into three long quotes, which we'll summarize below because we know you've got other stuff to get done. Right?

165,000 units sold, equating to £100 million worth of business over the course of 2 days. He said: "This not only makes it the most successful games hardware launch, we think it is the most successful consumer launch of a product in the UK."
Sony is dumbfounded by their own success: "We have been in the office scratching our heads trying to think of a consumer product that has achieved that level of consumer sales in such a short period of time. If anyone can think of a UK product launch that has raised this amount of business in such a short period of time I'd love to know because we can't think of one."
Out-of-stock? Paychecks coming in? Says the Phil: "We are already seeing across Europe out of stock situations where retailers re re-ordering. It was always our strategy to have a good supply. There's never been a launch of a console in Europe that's had a million pieces of hardware sold in or available. We've kept some back in order to continue to supply the market."

Good stuff, Phil Harrison. What do you guys think? Was the launch a failure, or was the media quick to hop back onto the Sony-hate wagon and cover the failure of launch events and not the actual sales numbers/data/facts?

Tree
March 29th, 2007, 23:25
the lauch was the best ... i neva seen one like it shows the power of the PS3 i think it could b people ave more reasons to buy them over 360s ... like some people might b trying to help by leaving folding@home on, would have to be rich ... the best game console for games nd one of the must popular and people might just want to stay to sony ... u ave blu-ray

SSaxdude
March 30th, 2007, 00:07
Before I even read one sentence of what ol Philly has to say, I'm sure it is complete BS. I read what Jack Tretton had to say about the PS3 launch (in EGM) and he called the PS3 their most successful launch.

jdnation
March 30th, 2007, 02:01
Before I even read one sentence of what ol Philly has to say, I'm sure it is complete BS. I read what Jack Tretton had to say about the PS3 launch (in EGM) and he called the PS3 their most successful launch.

Well then you're wrong, because what he's said isn't BS... And shame on the press for trying hard to paint the PS3 launch in a negative light. They got Owned!

SSaxdude
March 30th, 2007, 02:55
Well then you're wrong, because what he's said isn't BS... And shame on the press for trying hard to paint the PS3 launch in a negative light. They got Owned!

According to any poll, the PS3 is trailing behind the Xbox 360 and Wii. Nintendo probably would have sold as many Wiis as shipped, but they were in short supply.

Demibeard
March 30th, 2007, 19:05
How anyone can describe 165,000 UK models and 600,000 across europe as a bad launch is beyond me, the numbers speak for themselves, 600,000 x £424.99 (Yes I know the rest of europe is in euros, but indulge me) = £254,994,000 or to put it another way more money than any of use will ever see.

If it was such a bad launch why have M$ suddenly released the 360 'Elite'?

If Nintendo could have sold more consoles (at half the price. I might add) why didn't they make more? Anything to do with keeping the price high?

Anyway after all thats said and done, we've all made our choice and paid our money, I for one, am very happy with my PS3.