PDA

View Full Version : In Japan, What Controllers Are Popular?

wraggster
March 30th, 2007, 16:37
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/japan/in-japan-what-controllers-are-popular-247997.php)

A Japanese poll has popped up in which folks have been voting for their favorite game controller. Not that many people have voted, but it's an interesting list so far. As of writing, here are the most popular ones:

Sega Saturn Controller: 74 votes
Super Famicom Controller: 28
Mega-Drive Fighting Pad: 27
Nintendo 64 Controller: 19
NES FIGHTING COMMANDER: 14
PS2 Real Arcade Pro. Special Edition: 14
Dreamcast Controller: 13
PS2 Sega Saturn Controller: 13
XBOX Controller: 12
GameCube Controller: 12
So. What are your favs?

Gene
March 30th, 2007, 16:49
The first 3 wherent all that great in my opinion.

My favorite in terms of how it played and fit, I would definately say it is the original controller that came in box with the ps2. Fit like a glove. Metaphorically speaking anyways.

SSaxdude
March 30th, 2007, 16:57
Japan has different tastes in gaming. Fighters are more popular, hence why the fighter oriented Saturn controller is the most popular.

My favorite controllers:
6 button Genesis controller (similar to Saturn)
Dreamcast
SNES
Xbox 360
Nintendo Wiimote

S34MU5
March 30th, 2007, 17:01
I like SNES

StormB
March 30th, 2007, 17:29
Snes was just too small.. I've always liked the N64 controller. Yes, it didnt have 2 analogues for FPS's. But for everything else it's brilliant!

Cap'n 1time
March 30th, 2007, 17:34
To be honest, I rather enjoyed the n64 controller. The SNES controller was nice and easy too. I also rather enjoyed the classic xbox controller and the DC controller for some reason.

alienanthropologist
March 30th, 2007, 17:36
I thought and still think the SNES contoller is great.

bm4n
March 30th, 2007, 17:43
This is so sad. There should only be two options (maybe three), Being:
the Duke
Xbox 360 pad
Playstation 1 pad (this was revolutionary...lame on ps2 and pathetic on ps3)

matt2k
March 30th, 2007, 19:02
I have to totally agree with Saturn pad. Back in the day when I had a Saturn all I had were imports. Fighters, shmups, you name it.
Later on, I was having issues trying to find a good pad to use on the PC for emulated games. Sega annouced they were releasing an anniversary version of Puyo Puyo for the PC.....the big catch was that it was going to be bundled with a USB Saturn controller that could work on other games as well. I imported that bad boy, hooked it up with MAME among other emus, and it became the perfect controller. People reccomend the 360 pad for the PC. I think the D-pad on it is garbage. Don't get me wrong. I like the 360 controller for the 360, mainly for games that that use the analog. But I've tried both 1st and 3rd party controllers and the d-pad just doesn't work right. It has got to the point that it has prevented me from buying xbox live arcade games. Games like Street Fighter 2, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Castlevania SOTN, just don't work well with it.

The Saturn pad is number 1 in my book.

danmiracle
March 30th, 2007, 21:02
I have to totally agree with Saturn pad. Back in the day when I had a Saturn all I had were imports. Fighters, shmups, you name it.
Later on, I was having issues trying to find a good pad to use on the PC for emulated games. Sega annouced they were releasing an anniversary version of Puyo Puyo for the PC.....the big catch was that it was going to be bundled with a USB Saturn controller that could work on other games as well. I imported that bad boy, hooked it up with MAME among other emus, and it became the perfect controller. People reccomend the 360 pad for the PC. I think the D-pad on it is garbage. Don't get me wrong. I like the 360 controller for the 360, mainly for games that that use the analog. But I've tried both 1st and 3rd party controllers and the d-pad just doesn't work right. It has got to the point that it has prevented me from buying xbox live arcade games. Games like Street Fighter 2, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Castlevania SOTN, just don't work well with it.

The Saturn pad is number 1 in my book.
I agree 100%!

The Saturn pad is perfect for fighting games and pretty much ideal for emulating any game that doesn't require analogue controls.

I'd say 2nd place is joint between PS2 and SNES.

wiredforpower
March 30th, 2007, 21:45
SNES controllers are the best

Harshboy
March 30th, 2007, 23:12
Nothing can beat the Xbox Controller (Original, not 360)

Adrenalin
March 31st, 2007, 01:39
love the n64 controller and the wiimote too. the wiimote has a similar curves yet a more confortable feel. still n64 for retro feel.

Although i think wiimote motion sensing abilities could have been atouch better.

Shadowblind
March 31st, 2007, 02:09
The Gamecube controller. It just fit into my hand like it was made for me.

Styroformer
March 31st, 2007, 02:11
Pretty much every controller SEGA ever made was freaking m-azing, the Dreamcast controller was my favorite though, i love the wiimote but cant stand the N64 controller and the NES controller hurt my hands, the SNES controller wasnt bad, all of the controllers Sony made were total crap, they hurt my hands after playing to much because of the awkward postion you have to put it in to feel comfortable, and the original Xbox controller was freaking huge, but the 360 controller i would have to say takes the #2 spot under the DC controller.

JKKDARK
March 31st, 2007, 02:22
yeah Saturn controller kick ass :p

acn010
March 31st, 2007, 03:19
Sega Saturn Controller All The Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLZKLLME0080
March 31st, 2007, 03:22
So. What are your favs?

Not the X-box controller, it's HUGE!!!

SSaxdude
March 31st, 2007, 03:31
it's HUGE!!!

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

PLZKLLME0080
March 31st, 2007, 03:34
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

I KNOW, SHE TOLD ME!

baracki96
March 31st, 2007, 03:35
Nothing can beat the Xbox Controller (Original, not 360)

You, my friend, must be a Gorilla. My 2 Fav's are the Dreamcast and the xbox360 controller. Then again I complete forget I'm holding a controller ten minuets into the game so pretty much no problems with any other controller. Except the orginal XBox controller, which were rumored to run on nuclear power.

PLZKLLME0080
March 31st, 2007, 04:20
...Except the orginal XBox controller, which were rumored to run on nuclear power.

that must be why my hands are melting... finally i can stop frekin out.

Mark30001
March 31st, 2007, 04:34
I don't understand how anyone (with big hands) can enjoy the Dreamcast controller. The N64 controller was actually quite comfortable for me. :)

JKKDARK
March 31st, 2007, 04:42
I don't understand how anyone (with big hands) can enjoy the Dreamcast controller.
you're trying to say Dreamcast controller is small? Then I don't want to know about the PS1/2/3 controller..

ish420ism
March 31st, 2007, 08:12
Microsoft's Sidewinder...NOT
A real Arcade coin op stick. Now that's the ticket.

I tried most controllers mentioned, and honestly, I forget.
I do remember the uncomfortable feeling of the original PS controller the first time I held it. I thought it had too many buttons... Now, the dual shock seems so natural. weird

bm4n
March 31st, 2007, 20:02
I have smalls and wouldn't want to use any controller but the Duke (many of you on here seem not to know that that's what the original Xbox controller is called).

Apoklepz
March 31st, 2007, 20:08
I still favor the Dreamcast controller...but before that ever came out, there was the good ol' reliable SNES controller and Sega 6 button controllers...I've never been a big fan of the Playstation controllers but they seem to get you from spot A to spot B fine, so they're not bad...I never had a stab at the Saturn controller, so I wouldn't know about that one.

mastersho
April 1st, 2007, 00:10
The top five best controllers were:
Gamecube
Wii
Snes
PSX
Genesis

mauro2029
April 1st, 2007, 15:55
The Xbox controller is pretty cool, (not the original original which is huge) I'm talking about the xbox controller S. So obviously I like the 360 one, which is an improvement of this one. I also like the dreamcast one, which you can tell inspired the xbox one in some features. I'm also a fan of the dual shock for the ps1.

rokobungi
April 2nd, 2007, 01:04
my top 3..
saturn controller!!
xbox 360
snes

if someone would put a saturn pad and move the shoulder buttons to the front of the 360 (move the start to the back or something....) it would be perfect to me.

Baboon
April 2nd, 2007, 10:22
I totaly agree with the gamers from Japan... The Saturn pad is defo the best! :)

I’ve got adaptors so that my Saturn pads also work on my Dreamcast, PC, xbox and ps2! Its perfect for the fighting games and shooters (infact all arcade titles). The layout of the buttons and d-pad is simply second to none.

Top banana!