PDA

View Full Version : Sega no longer repairing Dreamcast units

JKKDARK
March 31st, 2007, 03:09
via GameFront (http://gamefront.de/)

Sega terminates repair service for Dreamcast and Saturn 30.03.07 - Sega Japan communicates they will stop the internal repair service for Dreamcast and Saturn in 28.09.07. Defective consoles will not be repaired starting from this date. The same applies to the accessories of the two systems (e.g. stromkabel, A/V cable, etc.).

Zion
March 31st, 2007, 03:19
:(:(:(

SSaxdude
March 31st, 2007, 03:34
Here's for hoping somebody else will fix all sick Dreamcasts.

Shadowblind
March 31st, 2007, 03:49
Just out of curiosity... how much do used Dreamcast cost from Gamestop?

Elven6
March 31st, 2007, 16:20
This is bad, I think Japan may be giving up on DC for a final time, their terminating their services. And it should be around $30CDN, more then a used PS2 or gamecube!

sabernet
March 31st, 2007, 17:27
Wait wait wait.....they were still repairing Saturns??

Dreamcasts I can see, still having a trickle of commercial games....

But Saturn???

SSaxdude
March 31st, 2007, 17:41
Just out of curiosity... how much do used Dreamcast cost from Gamestop?

I'm assuming you live in America. Well when Gamestop did have Dreamcasts, they cost $25 online I believe.

If you want a Dreamcast, look for a Gamecrazy. Gamecrazys are almost always attached to a Hollywood Video store. I bought my second DC at a Gamecrazy for $25 and also one for my friend at the same price, and this was last August. In Illinois they are a fairly common store, and when I was in Arizona last year I visited a Gamecrazy. They are way better than Ebgames or Gamestop, especially since Eb doesn't carry older games anymore. This is their site: http://www.gamecrazy.com/

Dull Blade
March 31st, 2007, 18:16
Nooo, they're just abandoning their heritage like that. I'm going to have to get alot more hand with the screw driver incase mine breaks

King of Fire
March 31st, 2007, 18:20
wow thats a spirit breker:(

vbt
March 31st, 2007, 18:50
it's sad they stop saturn and dreamcast repair at the same time. they should have kept a dc repair service.

VampDude
March 31st, 2007, 20:58
Dreamcast is a cheap enough console, I saw one go for £6 on ebay back in December...

...who cares if Sega have stopped repairing them, the Dreamcast is most probably something Sega don't want anything more to do with

SSaxdude
April 1st, 2007, 03:29
...who cares if Sega have stopped repairing them

Less working Dreamcasts is bad. If production on all NES 9 pin replacements stopped, then when a NES needs to be repaired it couldn't be fixed. The same could be used in this situation, especially since production on Dreamcast consoles ended years ago.

VampDude
April 1st, 2007, 04:17
Less working Dreamcasts is bad. If production on all NES 9 pin replacements stopped, then when a NES needs to be repaired it couldn't be fixed. The same could be used in this situation, especially since production on Dreamcast consoles ended years ago.

There are people who can fix them other than Sega thou

Shadowblind
April 2nd, 2007, 14:36
Well....if we're lucky...I mean REALLY lucky...in the next few years...hopefully Sega will make a new system? :(

quzar
April 2nd, 2007, 16:12
Well....if we're lucky...I mean REALLY lucky...in the next few years...hopefully Sega will make a new system? :(

Won't bring dead dreamcasts back to life. Probably the best we could hope for is that some time in the not to distant future we see some of that lovely Dreamcast-on-a-Chip technology hacked together in HK.

Either that or for tectoy to pick up the Dreamcast for production in brazil.

wolfpack
April 2nd, 2007, 17:11
I have a sega saturn and dreamcast, but i think my saturn needs a new harddrive because i think its down in the dumps... dammit i was hoping this wouldnt happen, now it wont ever get repaired, i can still play my games but my harddrive forgets my saves.:( :( :(

JKKDARK
April 2nd, 2007, 17:21
I have a sega saturn and dreamcast, but i think my saturn needs a new harddrive because i think its down in the dumps... dammit i was hoping this wouldnt happen, now it wont ever get repaired, i can still play my games but my harddrive forgets my saves.:( :( :(

If you are talking about the internal memory, you need to change the battery

wolfpack
April 2nd, 2007, 17:24
didnt the saturn have a harddrive, i couldve swore there was one in there

JKKDARK
April 2nd, 2007, 17:30
didnt the saturn have a harddrive, i couldve swore there was one in there

No, Saturn hasn't a hardrive

wolfpack
April 2nd, 2007, 17:32
well how come it remembered my saves before, then stopped working over a couple years?

quzar
April 2nd, 2007, 22:15
well how come it remembered my saves before, then stopped working over a couple years?

Because as a brilliant foresight, Sega included built in memory, so that you never had to buy a memory card if you didn't want to (Playstation?). It was battery backed and the same battery ran the clock (some games used the real time clock too).

Darksaviour69
April 3rd, 2007, 11:15
the only problem was, that when the battery ran out, your saves were lost

Taigo
April 4th, 2007, 01:19
Won't bring dead dreamcasts back to life. Probably the best we could hope for is that some time in the not to distant future we see some of that lovely Dreamcast-on-a-Chip technology hacked together in HK.

Either that or for tectoy to pick up the Dreamcast for production in brazil.

Dont hope anything from tectoy, if sega is lost they are 2 million times worse..