PDA

View Full Version : Kutaragi blamed for troubles at Sony

wraggster
March 31st, 2007, 12:10
via play (http://play.tm/story/9615)

A new report from Newsweek, spied today on GameSpot, places further blame for problems concerning the PS3 at Sony, firmly on the doorstep of Ken Kutaragi, the PlayStation godfather who was recently 'moved' into the role of Chairman at Sony Computer Entertainment. Reports in recent months had blamed Kutaragi's 'slowness' for the PS3 losing exclusive titles like GTA IV and Assassin's Creed.

The Newsweek report additionally alleges that the former SCE president was shuffled because of a lack of communication with Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer. The report, which includes an interview with Stringer himself, says Kutaragi was 'uncommunicative', and often failed to relay important decisions to Stringer, overall Sony head-honcho.

The interview adds that Kutaragi failed to inform Stringer of the PS3's production problems, and that he also allowed development to go over budget without informing higher-level bosses. Stringer is also said to be unhappy over Kutaragi's advise to cut the price of the PS3 in Japan, which the Sony boss believes could have been a subsequently poor decision.

Stringer allegedly tells the magazine that he had attempted to repair relations and build a partnership, but with little success ("I've had dinner with [Kutaragi] more times than I've had dinner with my wife, and that's not really healthy"). Kutaragi is now involved more heavily in game development, while Kaz Hirai runs Sony Computer Entertainment in the role of president. More soon. b