PDA

View Full Version : A Few Noob Questions..what's the deal

Jdemon
May 10th, 2005, 16:05
I've noticed alot of extra hardware type stuff for the Xbox and was wondering...

1) What kinds of Mods do people do to their Xboxes?
2) Do I need to chip to play we dont mention such things Or just imports?
3) Do I need any modifications to run any homebrew/emulations type stuff?

TIA!!! :D

Darksaviour69
May 10th, 2005, 16:08
you need it chiped to play homebrew/apps etc but i think there is a "softmod" of some sort useing a save from a few games like 007 or something

Jdemon
May 11th, 2005, 11:56
A friend of mine just told me that any kind of mods you do to your Xbox will get you "auto-banned" from XboX Live! Anyone know anything about that also?

Darksaviour69
May 11th, 2005, 12:08
mmm, i have heard of that, but i know u can get a switch so that u can turn off you mod when you go live and i think its only a few mod chip that cause a ban... but i not sure, i not really in to the xbox scene

ptr.exe
May 12th, 2005, 20:02
most xbox chips will have something called a ghost switch or something like that, basically turns the chip off so you can go on Live!

Jdemon
May 14th, 2005, 01:40
Thanks for the info guys..I will keep searching untill I figure it all out. It also looks like chiping the XboX is a little involved...well more than chiping a Playstation :D anyhow

btw ptr.lynch I think your Millenium Falcon DC is totally amazing!!!!

Onetonbullet
May 16th, 2005, 01:00
Modding an Xbox is about 3,245,642 times easier than modding a PS2

My PS2 took me all day, and my XBOX only took about an hour!

Get a Xecuter or Xenium Solderless...It will take you longer to open the case than install the chip.
You can boot the retail kernel in order to play on live :cool:
Xbox has some fantastic hardware mod options, and alot of great homebrew.

Cap'n 1time
May 17th, 2005, 16:11
Modding an Xbox is about 3,245,642 times easier than modding a PS2

My PS2 took me all day, and my XBOX only took about an hour!

Get a Xecuter or Xenium Solderless...It will take you longer to open the case than install the chip.
You can boot the retail kernel in order to play on live :cool:
Xbox has some fantastic hardware mod options, and alot of great homebrew.

xbox is very easy to mod, not only that, but a modded xbox is alot more usefull than a modded ps2. if you ever need any help with an xbox mod, feel free to pm or email me. I have been through hell with my xboxes and i have seen/broken/fixed it all.

ptr.exe
May 17th, 2005, 17:22
thanks Jdemon! good luck with your mod chip.

Jdemon
May 17th, 2005, 22:43
Thanks alot for all the great responces guys... I really appreciate the input. Well, I've taken my Xbox appart twice now..the first time just to get an understanding of the layout...the second to get an idea of where I could add some mods (lights, etc)
I've also gone over some tutorials for installing (I've ordered an X3) and it doesn't look too bad at all. I'm just a little confused about "FlashBios"
Is the chip causing the Xbox to actually start from a different BIOS? I won't have to alter my Xbox BIOS in any way will I?

Also since we are on this topic, and this is a mostly DC user Furum I might as well ask this here.
Are there/are there still chips for the Dreamcast available? I'd love to never have to use a boot disc again :D

Onetonbullet
May 18th, 2005, 07:04
No....The hacked bios will boot from the chip.....You'll prob want a new dashboard as well...

Jdemon
May 18th, 2005, 11:47
Thanks Onetonbullet :D I've noticed you can add/do alot of stuff like that. But I won't even worry about that kind of thing untill I'm up and running.

Cap'n 1time
May 18th, 2005, 14:46
the chip i got - x2.2 lite - was preflashed with the cromwell bios, but i remember i had to do some weird ass thing involving flashing an updated bios. All i can say is that its a real pain in the ass to get started in that you wont have ftp untill you put some kind of program with it on the machine through some form of dvd or cdrw media. this part is a real pain in the ass - get ready to make some MONSTER dummy files.

Onetonbullet
May 19th, 2005, 04:22
My Xenium chip has FTP all set up! I can set up the IP adress and network to my PC, all from the chips boot menu...

Oh yeah...It also came with a USB adapter, so you can flash bios from a thumb drive in a controller port ;)

Cap'n 1time
May 19th, 2005, 17:15
ah, i forget these newer chips are alot easier to set up! you shouldnt have any problems at all.

Jdemon
May 22nd, 2005, 20:36
LMAO!!
you shouldnt have any problems at all. Yeah right!!

Well, The chip seems to be installed and working fine but according to the Xecuter site I may need to return it to the company I got it from to be re-flashed.

According to the site: "Black Screen = New Xbox/Old Bios
If you get a black video screen then you most probably
have a new v1.6b Xbox and you have an older version of
FlashBIOS. You will need to send it back to your installer
to get it updated to FlashBIOS v3.03"

This is exactly the problem I've got. I sent in a Support request...I'll see what they say.

In the mean time I tried to just flash from the ROM drive (with no luck at all and 4 coasters)

Anyone have any other ideas?

Jdemon
May 22nd, 2005, 21:47
OMG...just figured it out....I have got the FlashBios up :D...now to move foward again...

You were abosolutely right 1timeuser I shouldn't have had any problems at all.
I didn't realize I had to switch to a differend Bank to get the right BIOS for V1.6b (bank 5)

Cap'n 1time
May 22nd, 2005, 21:59
OMG...just figured it out....I have got the FlashBios up :D...now to move foward again...

You were abosolutely right 1timeuser I shouldn't have had any problems at all.
I didn't realize I had to switch to a differend Bank to get the right BIOS for V1.6b (bank 5)

mine came preflashed with cromwell, sometimes they dont come flashed at all i guess.

Jdemon
May 24th, 2005, 01:28
Well what actually messed me up was that for 1.6b version of Xbox I needed the version 3.3 of the original bios. I had to boot up from banks 5-8, once I had that down everything worked out.

THANKS!!! for all the helpfull info guys :D

Cap'n 1time
May 24th, 2005, 03:43
Well what actually messed me up was that for 1.6b version of Xbox I needed the version 3.3 of the original bios. I had to boot up from banks 5-8, once I had that down everything worked out.

THANKS!!! for all the helpfull info guys :D

always a pleasure to help out a fellow xbox hacker. :)

Jdemon
June 11th, 2005, 04:54
Again, thanks for all the help everyone... and here are 2 pics of my Xbox now that It's complete...I think :D

Eric
June 11th, 2005, 09:32
Hey that looks pretty nice good job

Darksaviour69
July 19th, 2005, 15:25
sweet