PDA

View Full Version : New York appalled with GTA IV setting

wraggster
April 1st, 2007, 10:21
Political leaders, politicians and policemen have already downloaded the GTA IV trailer, watched it numerous times, and gone ape at the fact that the fictional city resembles New York.

While the city does resemble New York, it's actually the GTA hold haunt Liberty City, which, as we all know, is heavily based on NYC.

"Setting Grand Theft Auto in the safest big city in America would be like setting Halo in Disneyland," said City Councilman Peter Vallone, chairman of the council's public safety committee.

The New York Daily News reported "Grand Theft Auto is set in a mythical city that bears a striking resemblance to New York." Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly isn't one bit impressed. "It's despicable to glamorize violence in games like these, regardless of how far-fetched the setting may be."

Jason Post, a spokesman for Mayor Bloomberg, put the final nail in GTA IV's coffin: "The mayor does not support any video game where you earn points for injuring or killing police officers."

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161197)

emuking
April 1st, 2007, 10:41
and it begins,cue dramatic music lol

jojotjuh
April 1st, 2007, 10:43
If they can't see the difference between games and reality it's their fault, and not the game

Xiofire
April 1st, 2007, 11:20
^^ Agreed
Im just scared that if GTA IV is an MMO, how many people will try to re-enact 9/11.
-Xiofire

gdf
April 1st, 2007, 11:24
they never moaned about gta 3 or lcs...

Cloudhunter
April 1st, 2007, 11:26
How long do you think it will be before Jack Thompson says something? :rolleyes:

Cloudy

bm4n
April 1st, 2007, 11:33
He never stopped saying things...

Video games rock. Freedom of speech baby, if I wanna steal cars and go nuts then give me a video game to do it otherwise I'm going down in a hail of gunfire, YEAH BABY!

*Sits the next couple innings out*

Juanton3790
April 1st, 2007, 14:17
cuz of course saying these statements will make ppl not buy the game. only reason i bought gta was cuz of all the public opposition of the game, this criticism of the game only helps it sell more. Cant wait 4 dis game

GazeboflossUK
April 1st, 2007, 14:30
Here's a newsflash for these "politicians"...
When you have an Anglo-American Crime Syndicate in control that happily explode buildings, kill thousands of innocent civilians in the process and all because they want you to beg them to save you (by any means they wish - illegal wars, torture, patriot act 1 & 2, North American Union etc..) then no city, anywhere, is safe.

Hateshinai
April 1st, 2007, 14:53
"Setting Grand Theft Auto in the safest big city in America would be like setting Halo in Disneyland,"

Hands up everyone who would play that.
waves both hands in the air

Remember: there is no such thing as bad publicity. Protests sell games.

wiredforpower
April 1st, 2007, 15:58
hahaha, Halo should be in Disney! Master Chief beats down Mickey, "Player takes the lead" :rofl:

solid12345
April 1st, 2007, 16:39
Here's a newsflash for these "politicians"...
When you have an Anglo-American Crime Syndicate in control that happily explode buildings, kill thousands of innocent civilians in the process and all because they want you to beg them to save you (by any means they wish - illegal wars, torture, patriot act 1 & 2, North American Union etc..) then no city, anywhere, is safe.

No no, you got it all wrong, it was the J00s who bombed the WTC lol.

Zombo
April 1st, 2007, 20:05
But then Mickey will get the Keyblade on Master Chef's ass....Im done talking now. :|

acn010
April 1st, 2007, 20:09
NYC lol.. crazy

Jack_Skellington
April 1st, 2007, 22:49
they never moaned about gta 3 or lcs...

they will complain sooner or later

adyagos
April 2nd, 2007, 01:12
Halo in Disneyland...

That is a great idea, someone should make that on Halo PC.

diceone
April 2nd, 2007, 05:12
if NYC is so pissed, then they need to boycott every major gang crime movie, every episode of law and order, any plays featuring violence set in NY, every album by every artists that is deemed violent that is referencing, performing, or from NY, and every animated show that has ever featured murder or violence in a metropolitan environment like NY, and every book ever written that has murder suspense or gore that takes place in a city like or actually in NY.

StormB
April 2nd, 2007, 07:45
Points for killing police officers?

Maybe, but you get your wanted level up ridiculously quickly... only a fool would do that. They make it sound like the whole point of the game is to kill police officers!

Wish they'd actually play the game before they criticise.

ish420ism
April 2nd, 2007, 10:29
N.Y. Stop being a bunch of Focken Pussies. You use to be cool. Blame your fascist Gov for 911. cause it sure wasn't Osama. you ****en morons. Wait, have you forgotten Osama. Now it's about Irak. Then Iran. Get a ****en clue. You're a joke America. Coming from a true american.

hate this if you want, Even N.Y. firefighters at the scene, know it was an inside job.

homebrew1973
April 2nd, 2007, 17:02
People should NEVER make jokes or try to gain point-scoring from that terrible day in America.....

For the game, I find it absolutely incredible that President-elect Hillary Clinton doesn`t condemn the violence in San Andreas but condemns the sex!

Cap'n 1time
April 2nd, 2007, 17:56
So, youre saying MC cant visit Disneyland?

Styroformer
April 3rd, 2007, 02:31
**** YOU NEW YORK, politicians will bitch at anything...god damn corrupt government, so gay. There are three things in this world i cant stand; megalomaniacs, corruption, and censorship...OH DAMN looks like these guys have all the bases covered.

jstush04
April 3rd, 2007, 06:26
N.Y. Stop being a bunch of Focken Pussies. You use to be cool. Blame your fascist Gov for 911. cause it sure wasn't Osama. you ****en morons. Wait, have you forgotten Osama. Now it's about Irak. Then Iran. Get a ****en clue. You're a joke America. Coming from a true american.

hate this if you want, Even N.Y. firefighters at the scene, know it was an inside job.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=911_morons

:thumbup:

ish420ism
April 3rd, 2007, 21:26
People should NEVER make jokes or try to gain point-scoring from that terrible day in America.....

For the game, I find it absolutely incredible that President-elect Hillary Clinton doesn`t condemn the violence in San Andreas but condemns the sex!

Don't you mean President McCain:eek:

ish420ism
April 3rd, 2007, 21:41
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=911_morons

:thumbup:

Thanks. You made it so GOD DAMNED clear for me. Your a ****ing GENIUS. What are you doing on PSP forums.
Go watch your local news channel. Tell me what you get out of it

P.S. Never heard of Loose Change. ****head

Cap'n 1time
April 4th, 2007, 01:20
Flame wars are not acceptable in our forums. Get off the 9/11 discussion. That is in no way related.

ish420ism
April 4th, 2007, 09:46
Sorry Crunch Berry, My Bad. GTA4 will rock again