PDA

View Full Version : [Release] Dreamchip V4.0

Zion
April 1st, 2007, 13:07
Via Zionmax (http://zionmax.com)

Well, after spending so much time over the last 3-4 weeks coding wandria. i decided to spend one hour on Dreamchip last night.

Now as far as i know the chip8 system is supposed to run at 30fps (might be wrong)

The emulator was running at 27fps last night, after the hour i got it running at 42fps. Feels normal speed to me at least now.

I still havnt done that filebrowser, as im too busy working with wandria to bother :p I just did this to prove to a few people (you know who you are :rolleyes: hehe) that it can get to full speed without taking out the sdl :p

Changelog :

Put in Visable Fps Counter
up to 42fps

Download & Give Feedback Via Comments

Buddy4point0
April 1st, 2007, 13:22
very nice man.
you are an exelent coder

quzar
April 1st, 2007, 13:53
it wasn't full speed before o_O?

A few notes: in graphics.c: You only ever use the 32-bit draw mode, so you don't need a switch to check for the color depth before drawing the pixel. Once you remove all those others you unroll drawpixel directly into the drawscene function.

in chip8.c: you don't need the done var in comp_keys, you don't need to check if you have a joystick before opening one (on the psp the joystick isn't really removable =P, as well as the fact that the emulator isn't really usable without it since you have everything based on joybutton* ), and you are still double checking the input stuff.

Some nice improvement though.

Zion
April 1st, 2007, 13:58
it wasn't full speed before o_O?

A few notes: in graphics.c: You only ever use the 32-bit draw mode, so you don't need a switch to check for the color depth before drawing the pixel. Once you remove all those others you unroll drawpixel directly into the drawscene function.

in chip8.c: you don't need the done var in comp_keys, you don't need to check if you have a joystick before opening one (on the psp the joystick isn't really removable =P, as well as the fact that the emulator isn't really usable without it since you have everything based on joybutton* ), and you are still double checking the input stuff.

Some nice improvement though.

Thanks For the advice :)

Il work on that when i get a chance :cool:

Mc_Logical
April 1st, 2007, 14:30
what is dreamchip? what are the features etc?

EDIT: I know the answer to that: guess ima have to download it and try lol but i just wanted to know wtf it is? maybe ima noob? how if ive never heard of it? WHAT DOES IT EMULATE??

Zion
April 1st, 2007, 14:52
Its a chip8 emulator for the psp ;)

Mc_Logical
April 1st, 2007, 15:07
lol chip8??? am i just plain stupid? because i have no clue what it is? is it like the mac emualor? or emulates something like that? ok nvm ima download it and see

quzar
April 1st, 2007, 15:12
lol chip8??? am i just plain stupid? because i have no clue what it is? is it like the mac emualor? or emulates something like that? ok nvm ima download it and see

Chip8 was a virtual machine (read: no physical chip8 exists) that was designed to be emulated on some extremely old giant computers in the 70s. Since it was purely virtual, and extremely simple, it's been something big to emulate and write homebrew for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip8

Mc_Logical
April 1st, 2007, 15:15
oh! ok cool thx man! hmmmm! now where to find roms? lol i havent seen the name of this for rom downloads b4? the 70s? big computer? wow now it can run on a lil hand held gadget lol aka multiple emulators gadget

Zion
April 1st, 2007, 15:18
There included in the zip folder as there all pd roms :)

pkmaximum
April 1st, 2007, 15:22
Kool always nice to have a large collection of emulators for the PSP. Great work Zion =]

Mc_Logical
April 1st, 2007, 15:22
lol yea i just looked into the rom folder, madness a big computer just to run things like pong? anyway good emulator that will last like 5mins lol nice job though dude

D0N
April 1st, 2007, 15:50
Sweet work Zion! Keep it up! :thumbup:

Veskgar
April 1st, 2007, 17:24
lol yea i just looked into the rom folder, madness a big computer just to run things like pong? anyway good emulator that will last like 5mins lol nice job though dude

LOL, yes it once took computers the size of rooms to run some very basic stuff. We may laugh today but without those early computers, we would not have the vast technology that we do today.

Its fun to go back in time and see where things started once in a while. Great work. Looking forward to future releases also.

Sinnamon
April 1st, 2007, 21:06
how do you put this on the psp. It only has a folder called emulator and no % folder so is it for firmware 1.0? I have 3.03OE-C so can i just put it in the game folder or what?

BL4Z3D247
April 1st, 2007, 22:11
sweet, thank god u didn't stop coding Zion...u the man :D

Zion
April 1st, 2007, 23:04
how do you put this on the psp. It only has a folder called emulator and no % folder so is it for firmware 1.0? I have 3.03OE-C so can i just put it in the game folder or what?

just put it in the game or game150 folder ;)