PDA

View Full Version : Dustcream Update

wraggster
May 10th, 2005, 18:01
One of the authors of Dustcream which is an unreleased Dreamcast Emulator for Windows has posted this update in the official forums:

The developpement of the emu is paused. The emu run the Bios and few games boot (VMU screen in general) …. When I’ll have free time, I will continue

Thanks to JMD and DC France for the news/translation.

omer
May 10th, 2005, 20:31
news=erwan, translation=JMD

fackue
May 10th, 2005, 21:41
To be honest, I don't think this is something to get excited about. It's been 'paused' for a long long time.

No offense, but it's exactly what Icarus did. Brought nothing but high hope, and end the end, it doesn't get released.

ron
May 10th, 2005, 21:56
fackue I'm sorry but i think DustCream coders are more serious than icarus team. It's a great new, to know that are back-.

quzar
May 10th, 2005, 22:26
I don't trust closed source emulators that appear after open source ones and don't seem to be much better =\.

Saoshyant
May 11th, 2005, 03:38
Whatever happened to Chankast anyway?

quzar
May 11th, 2005, 05:41
they made the mistake of making three releases within a few weeks that were very minor, then have been sitting on it since then.

My honest take on it is that what they had was made from scraps of code from other things (mostly elsemi's code from the emulator he had been working on, with some assembly optimization and direct x hle graphics emulation). And now that that is exhausted, they have hit a roadblock as to what to do.

iq_132
May 11th, 2005, 06:56
As far as I know, they wrote most of the code by themselves, El Semi joined the team later and brought some very important knowledge with him.
They have stated before that the Icarus team helped them quite a lot also.

quzar
May 11th, 2005, 11:04
well, the reason i saw that is because every time there is any talk from the main devvers (unai, garrofi and um... the other guy =P) they always talk about speedups and optimizations as opposed to increased compatability and more accurate emulation. That leads me to believe that there wasnt that much work being done on main emulation.

Since elsemi had talked about having written a dynarec sh4 core years ago, and chankast was supposedly written in 3 months, i seriously find it questionable that the entire emulator was written in that time. Also, considering that it came out AFTER DCemu, which was (afaik) the first open source DC emulator. Well, if this was an emulator FOR the DC then it would have come under much more scrutiny.

Darksaviour69
May 11th, 2005, 11:18
i think that a lot of Icarus is in Chankast, so its a shame that you get a load of dicks posting the Icarus forums " Icarus suck, Chankast rules!" ... btw did you know that Cyrus64 is the the credits for FOF (his real name), he help Dan alot develop KOS

Cap'n 1time
May 13th, 2005, 14:09
i think that a lot of Icarus is in Chankast, so its a shame that you get a load of dicks posting the Icarus forums " Icarus suck, Chankast rules!" ... btw did you know that Cyrus64 is the the credits for FOF (his real name), he help Dan alot develop KOS

I think your right. I believe we had this conversation about a year ago.. actually the reason i joined this forum was for me to take screen shots and compile a compat list for chankast (wich was later deleted) I also tried to cool off the people of the Icarus forum... but it died because as you said, too many dicks.

Anyways, im with quzar. Emulators (ALL EMULATORS) should be open source, thats what keeps them alive and also what lets them continue to improve down the road.