PDA

View Full Version : SNEmulDS 0.5 Alpha 2 Released

wraggster
April 3rd, 2007, 02:55
Archeide (http://www.snemul.com/ds/) has released a new version of the excellent Snes emulator for the Nintendo DS:

Heres whats new:

This intermediate release fixes the critical issues that appeared with SNEmulDS 0.5 alpha. It also includes a better GFX engine, and the new SNES mouse emulation mode.

Here is the complete list of changes:

* Fixed the critical sound bug (should go back to SNEmulDS 0.4f sound)
* Better GFX engine (use dynamic memory allocation)
* SNES emulation mode (see below)
* Fixed a bug in decimal ADC instruction (FZERO chronometer is now ok)
* The number of cyles used by DMA is counted correctly (more games boot)

I removed the ARM7 entry addresses, it seems to break ninjads, and is not necessary for others (i hope!).

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Zarigis
April 3rd, 2007, 19:45
Great update! I've just got one suggestion, though. The stylus doesn't seem to be terribly accurate when you lift up and touch back down (it seems to jump to random locations). Maybe give the option of simply holding down the stylus to move the cursor around, and then press left or right on the D pad to click where it is. This is the ScummVM solution and I've found it works very well.

skipboris
April 3rd, 2007, 20:57
Great update! I've just got one suggestion, though. The stylus doesn't seem to be terribly accurate when you lift up and touch back down (it seems to jump to random locations). Maybe give the option of simply holding down the stylus to move the cursor around, and then press left or right on the D pad to click where it is. This is the ScummVM solution and I've found it works very well.
Yea this update is awesome. You CAN just move around by pressing down in the d-pad. Left and right jump and click, and I havn't had major problems. You might double check your calibration.

For those that havnt tried this you're missing out. Today played mario paint and civilization with my ds and stylus! Be sure to read the readme that comes with. It will save you headaches. Keep it coming Archeide!

Tripsk8er333
April 3rd, 2007, 21:23
:thumbup: GREAT WORK, this has more improvement,( better Graphics, better sound, and It's just better all together.) I only have one question. How do you use the SNES mouse mode and can you use this with Mario paint?

skipboris
April 4th, 2007, 00:48
:thumbup: GREAT WORK, this has more improvement,( better Graphics, better sound, and It's just better all together.) I only have one question. How do you use the SNES mouse mode and can you use this with Mario paint?
boot up a mouse based game and press L+R+Start+(Left on the D-pad). This will flop the screens, allowing you to use the touch screen for mouse control. Do the same but press right to flip back. Press left on D-pad for mouse warp and left click, right on D-pad for mouse warp and right click. Press down on d-pad for warp with no click. Obviously then, to move the cursor around without warp, simply drag the stylus around on the touch screen. Its really ingenious for a game like mario paint because you can draw like youre drawing with pen and paper; wherever you touch, you draw. Its all in the readme, which can be opened with notepad. Anyways, just give it a try you'll see what I mean. It is superior in many ways to regular mouse movement. In the future snemul will support superscope games and even cursor based games with no mouse support, like lemmings or sim city. Its really quite genious.

Tripsk8er333
April 4th, 2007, 01:28
:thumbup: WOW! THE SNES MOUSE is the Coolest improvement. I can accutuly play Mario Paint. BEST work Yet. THis is Awsome!:thumbup:

Zarigis
April 6th, 2007, 11:16
Yea this update is awesome. You CAN just move around by pressing down in the d-pad. Left and right jump and click, and I havn't had major problems. You might double check your calibration.

For those that havnt tried this you're missing out. Today played mario paint and civilization with my ds and stylus! Be sure to read the readme that comes with. It will save you headaches. Keep it coming Archeide!

It seems like if i move the mouse any significant distance, the calibration goes all crazy and i need to press "up" on the d-pad to re calibrate it. I realize that pressing down on the d pad lets you move around without clicking, i'm just thinking that if you're currently pressing down with the stylus and you press "left" on the d-pad, it should click left. It does it the first time after you're in "hover" mode, but only once.

the_skip
April 12th, 2007, 22:37
ok I have a mmd 4 gig hard drive and I have in the main directory of the hard drive(The one you acsess in windows exploer) But STILL get this error please put your roms in the snes directory which I did make an snes folder. Also, i did patch it with ddilid thing with the gui.

DanTheManMS
April 12th, 2007, 23:03
Make sure the snemul.cfg file is place in the root of the drive. I don't think this is the issue, but it's worth a shot.

Perhaps it simply isn't able to access the filesystem too well. Could you try patching http://snemul.free.fr/ds/SNEmulDS_Test.nds with DLDI and seeing if it works? Note that this with test version, games MUST be in the root directory, not the SNES directory. This is an old v0.3 version though, so it's rather out of date.

If the test version works, then perhaps we can ask Archeide to make a test version for the newest Alphas and such.

the_skip
April 15th, 2007, 03:03
nope still dosn't work. Just a question when I patch a file should another file come up or the nds rom change in any way. Also the file sytem is fat32 should it be fat

voteforpedro36
April 15th, 2007, 03:28
EIther FAT or FAT32 works, and the ROM just patches itself, no physical change at all... maybe format it into FAT, maybe formatting it at all will help.

kiariki
April 16th, 2007, 14:59
whenever I start SNESmul, I get the message "Please put ROMS in the /SNES/ folder of your directory CF/SD card"...

But I have the SNES folder in the root... I've tried changing the directory in the Config file, but still nothing!

... :/ Help me?

DanTheManMS
April 17th, 2007, 02:48
Did you patch it with DLDI?

kiariki
April 17th, 2007, 03:56
No. It works with mine. The problem isn't that it's not working but that it doesn't recognize that the SNES folder is on the root of my SD card! :(

I have no folder or option whatever for CF. O_o

DanTheManMS
April 17th, 2007, 05:17
That's what DLDI will fix. It will tell the program how to access the FAT filesystem on your card.

kiariki
April 17th, 2007, 21:10
Thank you. I didn't think patching would do anything (but corrupt it) since it already "worked". O_o Strange software this is... I did as you suggested and voila!

Kirby's Dream Land 3 didn't work though, but I was already somewhat expecting that because it uses a special chip, if I'm not mistaken. Thank you, once again!

This should teach to me the following: If it doesn't work, even if it seems to work; patch it! :D

BTW, rep up 4 u! :D

DanTheManMS
April 18th, 2007, 03:19
Sweet, thanks. Yeah, DLDI is basically a set of instructions that tell the homebrew how to access your card. While homebrew will boot without it, it won't be able to load assets from your card. See http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DLDI for some more general info about what it is.

Basic rule of thumb - if it won't boot at all, try loading it through Moonshell or DSOrganize (or use the Supercard Magic Homebrew Patcher if you're using a slot-2 Supercard with GBA support). If it loads but can't access the filesystem, DLDI patch it.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 does indeed contain a special chip that is not emulated. None of the special chips are, so the list at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_games_with_special_chips should give you a good idea of which games won't work on any SNES emu for the GBA or DS.

Kirby's Dream Course works after some layer changing, though that's a completely different game, lol.

Greenwing
May 9th, 2007, 13:00
I'm having a problem with this emu. I go to select rom, and i choose the rom i want to load, but when my ds displays "press START to launch ROM" and "press SELECT to go back", pressing start just takes me back to the main menu. can someone help me?

onikuro
May 15th, 2007, 00:25
greenwing
its does the same thing to me.

Hyrule_boy
May 15th, 2007, 12:18
Greenwing & Onikuro: People can maybe help you guys if you tell us what sorta card you guys use. And did you guys DLDI patch it?

onikuro
May 16th, 2007, 23:15
yes did the dldi patch and have the flashcard by lexar fro the MMD

kingston
May 18th, 2007, 05:26
hi all,

i have a DS extreme card. Loading upNBA jam. Everything loads fine. I'm been playing around with the settings but can't get the picture to fit on the screen.

Any suggestions

DanTheManMS
May 18th, 2007, 21:56
You can't squish the entire screen to fit the DS display, so you'll want to change the "Yscroll" option to whatever is the most playable, and then use the "Mode 3 squish" option to try to move the HUD closer to the center of the screen, if there is a HUD to begin with. I'm not familiar with the game, so I apologize that I can't be any more specific.