PDA

View Full Version : DSHobro Browser Alpha

wraggster
April 3rd, 2007, 03:01
Costello (http://costello.dev-fr.org/)has released a new Web Browser for the DS:

I've compiled an alpha version of DSHobro. It contains both the PC server application, and the DS homebrew client.

So, what's available in this version?

connection & authentication

visit any website by entering the URL with the virtual keyboard

you can clic on the page

See, it's very basic. I haven't implemented scrolling yet, and I also need to make a zoom feature, because for now it's absolutely impossible to read the text See, this is what I like to call a "proof of concept" version. In its current state you won't have any real use for it, but you can still have a little fun and find the thousands of bugs. Yeah, it's not very stable but this is mainly due to the relative lack of reliability of the DS WiFi libraries & wrappers, and more generally the DS WiFi hardware components.

Also, you can use the browser remotely. For example, if you start the server application on your PC, go out and connect to a WiFi hotspot with your DS, you'll still be able to use the browser by connecting to your PC, that is if you know your PC's IP address!

You don't need to DLDI-patch the homebrew. It doesn't need to load or save anything (yay, means it won't corrupt your card).

I will probably not update DSHobro simply because I'm starting a much more interesting project which, as I said before, will include a web browser. I'll let you know more as soon as I'm allowed to!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

kcajblue
April 3rd, 2007, 03:21
so is this like a vnc thing?

knifethrower
April 3rd, 2007, 04:05
Its a darn shame scrolling dosent work, this would be useful for basic photo browsing if it did.

souLLy
April 3rd, 2007, 09:26
Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKQt3WvpTKI

DooMeh1
April 3rd, 2007, 11:59
Sweet but not so sweet... It's a good program but you cant scroll or zoom... oh well...

TeenDev
April 3rd, 2007, 20:14
oooo...... me like

saicrazyfire
April 3rd, 2007, 22:26
this doesnt work on my supercard lite rumble...it gives a white screen? what do i do? i want internet on my ds but i dont have access to buying the opera browser

Some Dude
April 21st, 2007, 04:45
i keep getting this

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2385/untitledng9.png (http://imageshack.us)

help anyone?

Buddy4point0
April 21st, 2007, 15:07
thanks so much. its a very good program

DanTheManMS
April 21st, 2007, 18:14
Some Dude, you're probably trying to give the DS the same internal IP address as your computer. Keep the first three fields but change the last one. For instance, if your computer's IP is 192.168.1.100 make the DS have 192.168.1.123 or something.

zoomzoom4710
May 30th, 2007, 18:56
i had tht problem when i got my new laptop, i got a new ip address and problem was fixed

lightningquickguy14
May 31st, 2007, 02:03
Wait a minute... it's for internet access on your computer or DS?

DanTheManMS
May 31st, 2007, 04:33
It's for viewing web pages on your DS, but it uses a PC client to actually receive the page, sending a snapshot to your DS. It's fairly useless at this point though.

saicrazyfire
June 1st, 2007, 03:28
it works but its too slow to be a real browser. keep up the good work though!

linkenski
July 10th, 2007, 13:00
it's not a real web browser to me... just some kind of image transferer. ye see, you type in an address, and the ds sends it to your pc. and then the pc loads the webpage you wanted, and after that it sends an image of the webpage to the DS. and when you tap the screen, the app picks up the cordinates you tapped, and sends it to the pc. and if there was a link on those cordinates, then it means that it have to go to that link, and send another image to the DS. so just some kindof image downloader if ye ask me...

DanTheManMS
July 10th, 2007, 19:18
Yeah, that's fairly common knowledge. The web browser in DSOrganize received some fairly extensive updates in the 2.8 release, so you could check that out for browsing on the go.

darkblood987
July 23rd, 2007, 21:18
umm how do u work this thing?? plz help

sushihad
August 6th, 2007, 03:57
ay you have personal files here