PDA

View Full Version : vertical GD-rom drive

Mental2k
May 11th, 2005, 14:34
Will it do the dc GD-Rom drive any harm if I orient it in a vertical postion, im considerin doin a mod that would require the drive to oriented in this position as oposed to the normal horizontal position.

ptr.exe
May 11th, 2005, 15:13
You'd be adding strain to the disc-spin motor when it starts to spin it, but this would be minimal and wouldnt make much differance. It may strain the laser when trying to stream data, this causes no permanent damage but means that it may have trouble reading the disc while the unit is vertical, this isnt definate so i'd say just test to see if it reads games that require alot of loading if it's fine chances are it being vertical won't cause a problem.
This is just my opinion but i really cant see anything being damaged because of this. The PS2 doesnt run well vertical but that's due to the way it grips the disc as appose to the way the GD-rom assembly has a clip on thingy to hold the disc. DC should be fine vertical.

Whats the mod if you dont mind me asking?

Mental2k
May 11th, 2005, 16:10
I'm considerin makng a toaster mod, post A-level exams, and am just doin a little research now, what you think ptr, oh master of the mods;)

ptr.exe
May 11th, 2005, 20:14
a toaster mod? obviously im not as well versed as i thought i was, whats that? sounds cool whatever it is.
Master of the Mods? lol.

Mental2k
May 12th, 2005, 10:06
Um pretty much a DC inside a toaster. Only trouble is trying to get a toaster big enough. I just want it for the crazyness;)

ptr.exe
May 12th, 2005, 20:40
oh right yeah ive seen that done with a NES, guess where you put the cartridge in :p

Should be good with a DC, how is the disc gonna eject?

Mental2k
May 13th, 2005, 13:01
not sure yet, i'm wonderin if i'll be able to find a toaster with a big enough slot to fit the entire gd rom unit through, if i can i'll bring the entire unit throufg the slot and allow external loading (is there any way to extend the ribbon cable on the unit?) failing that i'll have to figure some way of loading the cd into it, hmmm, maybe i could butcher an old cd drive to get the loading mechaism. You know the slot type ones, like in cars.

ptr.exe
May 13th, 2005, 20:07
strange...

i originally was gonna post on how you could use a slot type thing from a car, with a detailed description but then realised that it would be very difficult so just decided to ask you what were your plans...

However yeah, the slot type would be really good but you'd need to make a basic circuit to control the mechanism, and change the spindle that the disc sits on, it would be easier to replace the GD-rom drive with a CD drive that already was fitted to work with a slot type mechanism or a tray mechanism as they have the same sort of set up. but then you have the problem of getting lucky finding a cd laser compatible with the DC, alot of hit and miss really.
What i thought would be good was if you could have a tray eject upwards out of the toaster slot, that would be slighlty easier as they're easier to get hold of and it wouldnt be too hard to fit the Gd-rom assembly in that sort of mechanism, the slot types out of car radios are usually really small. Also have a catch on the bottom of the tray like the PS2 has on the side of its disc tray.

Either way would be good.

Mental2k
May 18th, 2005, 23:42
thanks for that ptr I think i will be needing some help when it actually comes to building it. But for now I have to get these pesky A-levels out of the way.

ptr.exe
May 19th, 2005, 16:53
Yeah me too, had my first exam on tuesday, went alright. AS or A2?

curt_grymala
May 19th, 2005, 17:22
not sure yet, i'm wonderin if i'll be able to find a toaster with a big enough slot to fit the entire gd rom unit through,

I would think the GDRom unit would fit in one of those special bagel toasters. The slots are about twice as wide as a standard toaster slot.

Check this out (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dotcoms/ritt2bawito.html)

Or this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IUWQ/yahoo-kitchen-20/ref%3Dnosim/104-8254507-7480765)

Mental2k
May 19th, 2005, 23:18
A2, first exam on monday. They're not over till the 27th june, pissed off at that, best mate's exams finish first week in june.

Mental2k
May 19th, 2005, 23:23
I like this idea curt, cause it means I can do it with springs, and use the toaster's pushy down mechanism, also the second one is a nice brushed aluminium effect. maybe i'll email someone and ask them how wide their slots are;)

Excuse me madame, how wide is your slot?

*slap*

perhaps not then:)

DCDayDreamer
May 19th, 2005, 23:31
Now that's funny! :D, I'd just love to hear the reply to that one.

ptr.exe
June 15th, 2005, 15:42
Mental2K, how's the mod going? havent posted in a while...

...been slapped to death by offended women whom he asked about their slot?

curt_grymala
June 17th, 2005, 15:59
Damn it ptr. Off my wavelength f-er. I was just wondering about this mod, myself.

ptr.exe
June 17th, 2005, 16:08
f-er?

Anyway, yeah seem great minds think alike, maybe you just got lucky :D