PDA

View Full Version : Are Sites Like DiGG Fair ?

wraggster
April 3rd, 2007, 16:35
Ive been following the site DiGG over the last few months and a trend occurs that really puts a downer on these social voting sites.

Whenever big sites such as Engadget, Joystiq, Gizmodo, Kotaku and others post a digg even if the digg post was sourced from another site that had already submitted a Digg they because of their size nearly always get the stories from them made popular.

So the little sites who the story originated from just cant compete with sites who get mega hits each day.

Maybe there should be a source link on each digg post (if one exists)

Am i the only one who thinks its just a case of the big sites winning each time or could i be wrong.

Should sites like Digg/Slashdot and others change to make sure say that the proper site gets the linkages?

I should say that i have nothing against the sites above but maybe a fairer system is needed ?

Give your verdicts via Comments

http://digg.com/offbeat_news/Are_Sites_Like_Digg_Fair

weirdelf
April 3rd, 2007, 16:45
Someone's Digged this article. :rolleyes:

IM back!
April 3rd, 2007, 16:49
yes i suppose it wold be better but i don't think its going to incres the popularaty of the small site.

ExcruciationX
April 3rd, 2007, 17:02
Doesn't sound that fair to me.

What is Digg anyway?

I heart Nintendo
April 3rd, 2007, 17:20
*lol* @ above comment.

It is kinda unfair, but it's what's always gonna happen I guess. The solution? Check out smaller sites and digg 'em! Support the lil' underdogs.

kaffie
April 3rd, 2007, 17:49
Slap me if i'm wrong but dosn't this site source and quote stories from the bigger sites itself?

Maybe there should be like a "food miles" thing going on where you can see where a story has been on its travels.

Cokemusic
April 3rd, 2007, 17:50

What is Digg anyway?

Thank god , I thought I was the only one.

quzar
April 3rd, 2007, 18:39
Because the sites you listed actually WRITE news. They don't just copy+paste.

bullhead
April 3rd, 2007, 18:41
What does it mean when it says, "digg this"

bull, x.

Mark30001
April 3rd, 2007, 18:53
Slap me if i'm wrong but dosn't this site source and quote stories from the bigger sites itself?

If you look around, most of the news-posts with DiGG links are of DCEmu, such as a few homebrew releases.

kaffie
April 3rd, 2007, 19:04
If you look around, most of the news-posts with DiGG links are of DCEmu, such as a few homebrew releases.

I wasn't dissing this site at all. What I'm saying is that if this site sources a story from a larger site that has in its turn sourced it from another source it kind of defeats the point of the original post.

Just as if people believe that it is unethical to buy food with high food mileage they have a choice to source it locally then the same could apply to news.

quzar
April 3rd, 2007, 19:36

And most of those either link to the author's page, or don't give the source (if the newsposter here just doesn't like the source). It would be just as easy for any of those sites to link directly to the source and copy +paste that release (like we do). They're being nice and showing that they found it here.

ish420ism
April 3rd, 2007, 21:08
Can You Gigg it??? SUCKAS!!!!!!

basilb
April 3rd, 2007, 21:32
A relevent point is alot of the smaller sites which are the source for big-digg'd stories often don't have the bandwidth scale to cope with the volume of views digg generate. best example i can give is when a story about wii game disc images got put on digg directly linking to gbatemp. the site got nailed.

at the same time, when the primary source of a story isn't mentioned, it's like plagiarism.

woods05
April 4th, 2007, 01:20

What is Digg anyway?

thats what i was thinking.

Jayenkai
April 4th, 2007, 02:14
I think it's unfair for sites to self-promote a Digg This link. The whole point of Digg originally, was for people who've stumbled across interesting links, to have the ability to post them up for others to find, and then the popularity grows as others find it interesting or not.

Nowadays "Digg This" is just another way to spread your name. "Digg me, I need readers, OMGWTF!" And it leaves little Digg adverts all over the internet.

Someone needs to start it all over, with a rule to never allow those. Then it'll work better.