PDA

View Full Version : PS3 sales down 82 per cent

wraggster
April 3rd, 2007, 21:09
Sales of the PlayStation 3 have dropped dramatically on the second week of release in the UK, with official Chart Track figures revealing a fall of 82 per cent, GamesIndustry.biz is reporting.

Chart Track data is gathered from 7000 UK retail outlets representing 90 per cent of the software market, including GAME, Gamestation, Play.com, Asda and HMV.

A spokesperson for Chart Track confirmed the figure to GamesIndustry.biz this afternoon, stating: "Yes, sales of PS3 hardware have dropped by 82 per cent."

Last week, Chart Track revealed that the PlayStation 3 had sold 165,000 units in the first two days following the launch, making it the fastest-selling home console in the UK.

"We publish the first week figures because there's such a clamour for them that we can't keep it a secret," said the spokesperson.

This week's software charts revealed that sales of the top two PlayStation 3 titles, Resistance: Fall of Man and MotorStorm, had dropped by over 60 per cent.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe declined to comment.

via eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74928)

splodger15
April 3rd, 2007, 21:39
DROP YOUR PRICE ON THE PS3 CONSOLE ITSELF THEN.

I mean £425 for it bring it down.

Wii's are £179
360's are around £200 or less

You cannot compete with a price like £425 drop you price lower and people may consider in purchasing the console thus increasing more sales.

Demibeard
April 3rd, 2007, 22:31
Did Gamesindustry.biz really expect Sony to sell another 165,000 units this week?

If so are they in cloud-bloody-cuckoo land?

Considering Sony only shipped 220,000 units (or so) to the UK that equates to selling 39,400 this week, leaving a grand total of 10,000(ish) PS3's still to be sold.

The same goes for Resistance FOM those who wanted a copy have bought a copy, I don't see the point of buying one a week.

If you don't have enough consoles at launch you generate false demand (ebay sellers get very rich very quick). If you have the right number of machines for sale, people moan because your sales fall off sharpley. To sell that many machines (2 milliom world wide) means they (Sony) must be doing something right.

Yes it's expensive in the UK, what isn't?

Sonicboy 101
April 3rd, 2007, 22:38
DROP YOUR PRICE ON THE PS3 CONSOLE ITSELF THEN.

I mean £425 for it bring it down.

Wii's are £179
360's are around £200 or less

You cannot compete with a price like £425 drop you price lower and people may consider in purchasing the console thus increasing more sales.

Agreed, compared to the wii and 360 the ps3 is far too expensive. A price drop would no doubt increase sales but until then expect even less sales.

tsimehC
April 3rd, 2007, 22:39
Haha! I laugh at Sony. I knew it's success wouldn't last long.

lmtlmt
April 3rd, 2007, 23:16
well it has lasted for 15 years so i think it might go on a bit more tsimehC

JKKDARK
April 3rd, 2007, 23:20
hah glad to see these news. A lot of people was happy for the first week :p

tsimehC
April 4th, 2007, 00:10
well it has lasted for 15 years so i think it might go on a bit more tsimehC

I was referring to the success of the PS3 not all of Sony's franchise.

DPyro
April 4th, 2007, 00:28
As if Sony was gonna sell as many consoles now as the the UK launch week. :rolleyes:

Emeriastone
April 4th, 2007, 01:21
I think it's because everyone who wanted one, has one already.

digihoe
April 4th, 2007, 01:37
Second week? Did they count the 3 first launch days as a week?

PS. Xbox360 sold 500K in Europe the first 4 weeks, Wii sold 700K in the same time period (and that was around Xmas) DS.

mozilla
April 4th, 2007, 02:06
Second week? Did they count the 3 first launch days as a week?

PS. Xbox360 sold 500K in Europe the first 4 weeks, Wii sold 700K in the same time period (and that was around Xmas) DS.

yes. unfortunatly

SSaxdude
April 4th, 2007, 02:12
The only problem with lowering the price is that Sony would lose even more per console than they already do.

Triv1um
April 4th, 2007, 11:06
I don't want them to drop prices :D

mainly because I have paid the madly high price.

JKKDARK
April 4th, 2007, 13:21
The only problem with lowering the price is that Sony would lose even more per console than they already do.

Microsft have this problem already

slappy1
April 4th, 2007, 19:49
Microsft have this problem already

*News Flash*

Microsoft is making money on the sales of the 360 hardware. Over $100 per system. They can drop the price if they have to, but right now it is not necessary.

INixxI
April 5th, 2007, 00:52
*News Flash*

Microsoft is making money on the sales of the 360 hardware. Over $100 per system. They can drop the price if they have to, but right now it is not necessary.

Hubba whah?

Aparently alot of people/sites/news sources/everyone in the world missed the *News Flash* too.

www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=microsoft+loses+money+360+hardware

slappy1
April 5th, 2007, 05:09
Hubba whah?

Aparently alot of people/sites/news sources/everyone in the world missed the *News Flash* too.

www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=microsoft+loses+money+360+hardware

Sorry to dissapoint your sony lovin ass, but that is old news. Microsoft is, I repeat is, now turn over $100 per unit due to technology being cheaper and sharpening the manufacturing process that produces the systems.

Again, you point to old news. Check the dates to be sure.

Now, I'm not sure if they'll make money on the new XBOX 360 Elite systems.

Microsoft is out of the red when it comes to per unit console sales.

Heres a link for you:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=microsoft+makes+money+360+hardware

Now weep for Sony

wowzors
April 5th, 2007, 06:24
To suggest that sony would fail in the first year or even first 3 years of a release would be foolish. To say that microsoft isnt milking the "Elite" for every penny it is not worth is even more foolish.

120gb was introduced for a reason, those HD downloadable movies they advertised aren't going to fit on your 20gb hard drive along with your demos and saves.

April 5th, 2007, 11:39
Sorry to dissapoint your sony lovin ass, but that is old news. Microsoft is, I repeat is, now turn over $100 per unit due to technology being cheaper and sharpening the manufacturing process that produces the systems.

Heres a link for you:

Now weep for SonyYes I will weep for Sony as they do the exact same thing and prove your ignorant point wrong (http://www.digitalbattle.com/2007/03/13/65nm-ps3-cell-production-begins/)

briyan
April 5th, 2007, 13:41

Heres a link for you:

Now weep for Sony

Eric Cartman (voice/tone) : "yes...yes..."

ACID
April 5th, 2007, 13:46
Well i see the fact of the steep price and lack of a well broad game library for the PS3 (same with 360 ) its going to kill them leaving NINTENDO back on top.

INixxI
April 5th, 2007, 16:33
Sorry to dissapoint your sony lovin ass, but that is old news.
blahblahblah
Now weep for Sony

Yes, I see how questioning the profitability of Microsoft's hardware would make me prone to weeping for Sony . . .

I mean, its not like there's only one site refuting the idea in a sea of articles stating the opposite.