PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a modchip? (Yet)

mickmos
April 4th, 2007, 00:38
Im curious to see what you guys think. Im not sure whether i should get a wiikey now. or wait longer untill a better version of modchip comes out. Is it a bad idea to install one and only a few weeks after notice that nintendo have done something to stop it from working. Also does any one know whether its possible to remove a modchip and get a new one installed. or becuase its soldered in is it perminatly stuck in there. It also says that the wiikey is upgradable via Dvd. Does this mean they are just going to keep releasing updates or are they still going to make more versions of wiikeys. If anyone can give me there opinions it would be really appreciated .
Thanks

bmemike
April 6th, 2007, 18:53
There's always the threat of having a modchip disabled in the future for some reason, but most of them appear to be fairly safe and claim that Nintendo won't be able to detect them.

It's certainly possible to desolder the old modchip and solder in a new one, but this isn't something that you should be doing unless you've got some experience soldering. But it's certainly possible and not "that difficult" as far as things go.

All of the "upgradable via DVD" chip will probably function by putting in the upgrade DVD into the Wii and the chip will read the update off of it and flash itself with the update. As for what Wiikey is doing for it's product line, you should ask them.