PDA

View Full Version : Publishers urged Sony to cut PSP price, says analyst

wraggster
April 4th, 2007, 11:44
Following yesterday's news that Sony has docked a fistful of dollars off the US price of PSP, comes an analyst saying that a PSP price cut is just the "shot in the arm" it needed.

Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian clearly welcomes the move and hopes to see a lot more activity surrounding the handheld moving forward. "This is the first formal price cut on the PSP since its launch in March 2005, he said in a report on GameDaily.

Sony now plans support the move with a new marketing campaign aimed squarely at young adults and teens: "We expect a modest step-up in PSP unit sales during an otherwise seasonally slower period for the video game industry. We also believe the potential release of Gran Turismo for the PSP in 2H2007 could further boost unit sales." If GT PSP ever comes pout, we're sure it would sell a couple of units, it's not like you're going to be playing GT5 on PS3 for while is it?

So, in summing up, "It is too early to conclude whether Sony's pricing action will cause game developers to increase the pipeline of new PSP titles; however, several publishers publicly called on Sony to lower the PSP price and broaden the consumer end market. At the new $169 price, we note that the PSP is still $40 higher than Nintendo's DS."

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161395)

Basil Zero
April 4th, 2007, 16:00
obvious, since alot of people arent buying a psp, and those who are, in for the hacking

Ichijoe
April 4th, 2007, 16:14
Gee they need to catch a Clue and lower the "Value Pak" Edition, since your going to need a Dust Jacket to begin with.
They can save there "Bit" by only giving our 32Mb MS's like before.

In anycase a simple "Price Drop" will not IMHO be enough to save the PSP Videogaming System.
And, somehow I doubt we see a whole bunch of Devs jump on board now.

This was a "Tactic" that S0NY should've taken about this time Last Year....
I just can not see how this can (will), help anyone much less the Devs.
'Cause if I were currently looking into getting a Portable, I'd probably side with the Winner which is Nintendo.

Plus it doesn't hurt to have a few Camp Games like Phoenix Wright, or that Surgery One?!
Granted there nothing like what the PSP has (had) to offer, but where Nintendo is outselling the PSP like THREE-TO-ONE, and PSP Support is almost nonexistant (where I live).

I just don't get how a "Price Drop" could get me re-interested in this POS again.

These "Devs" need to come clean about there stance on the PSP, as to there support or lack there of...

***Of course living in Europe I'm not currently able to take-up S0NY's most generous offer, so no reall loss there...

Shrygue
April 4th, 2007, 18:01
If the US gets a price cut on the PSP, Sony should do the same to other territories too. It would be goo if a price reduction in Europe happened.

Buddy4point0
April 4th, 2007, 20:08
the psp isnt really that explensive i dont know why every 1 is making such a big deal out of it?
lol i work at ****in tropical smothie cafe and i could buy a psp every 2 weeks with money left over.