PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Bands question...

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 21:27
I need to start practicing songs for the battle of the bands at my school that starts at the beginning of the next school year. thats because if i start now, i WILL get it perfect.
i need to know what everyone thinks is the best setup of songs to play. i need 3 of them. thanks for your help and ROCK ON!

Triv1um
April 4th, 2007, 23:33
What do you play?
what sort or level are you at?

we need to know this because you need to be able to play it.

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 23:47
i will be able to play it. everyone thats heard me play say that i rock. my freind that i usually play with p*sses me off sometimes cuz he cant play as good a i do. once i get a song down it stays down. and i play anything that ROCKS.

Triv1um
April 4th, 2007, 23:52
ok then,

kick off with metallica - master of puppets

fill with dragonforce - through the fire and the flames

end with trivium - gunshot to the head of trepidation.

you said you can play anything..

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 23:55
ya i got all of the 1st solo of master of puppets down, and the beginning of the 2nd. thats only because the tab im using goes all the way to the 28th fret, which my guitar only has 24.

kcajblue
April 4th, 2007, 23:56
yep. the dragonforce solo should be pretty cool if you can play it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/x96hXWAWtSM

PLZKLLME0080
April 4th, 2007, 23:59
damn. well ive got all summer to learn it. (or attempt to) i need other ideas than just blazing solos though, ill probely do master of puppets still.
if it helps any in deciding, i fingerpick.

edit: it looks like they are doin alot of hammer ons and tapping - pretty easy

kcajblue
April 5th, 2007, 00:00
i want you to learn that song and then make a video of you playing it.

Triv1um
April 5th, 2007, 00:03
yeah me too, because I know you won't slap dragonforce down.

nor will you nail trivium.

PLZKLLME0080
April 5th, 2007, 00:04
i want you to learn that song and then make a video of you playing it.

ok, ill find a tab for it, get a HD camera, and attempt to get it. once i do get it though, i will be a rock god at my school.

still needing more ideas.

edit: hey this is my 100th post!!!

Triv1um
April 5th, 2007, 00:18
trivium - pull harder ..

van hallen - eruption (solo)

metallica - sanaterium (cant spell)

LilSwish722
April 5th, 2007, 00:30
Try Beast and the Harlot by A7X...That has a solid guitar all through it and a good solo.

PLZKLLME0080
April 5th, 2007, 02:41
Try Beast and the Harlot by A7X...That has a solid guitar all through it and a good solo.

Beast and the Harlot is a good song. you may want to keep in mind that i only have 2 guitars, for different tunings. Beast and the Harlot is in dropped D, which most of the songs out now are in standard (like Metallica's and Megadeath's music)

SnesR0X
April 5th, 2007, 06:51
can you borrow a guitar, or have a friend tune one while you're playing the second song?

PLZKLLME0080
April 6th, 2007, 03:38
can you borrow a guitar, or have a friend tune one while you're playing the second song?

that could work, but i think ill probely only stay with one or 2 tunings. after all im only playing 3 songs.

Gold Line
April 6th, 2007, 03:46
how about the tweenies song

"hey hey are you ready to play"

bet you cant play that!

Yobumtin
April 6th, 2007, 04:23
Trivium's not too hard to do. :S They don't have that great guitar. I mean its good but thats only becasue they have cool riffs. I think you should do Cemetery Gates by Pantera. That would great since the clean guitar switching to the crazy heavy sounds so magical. :] Do some Judas Priest. I say do Electric Eye or Deal with the Devil. Or Mr.Crowley by Black Sabbath. That would be pretty sweet.

PLZKLLME0080
April 6th, 2007, 21:14
ok so far i have it as:
Mr. Crowley
Beast and the Harlot
Master of Puppets

still open to suggestions seeing as how i have about 6 months until battle of the bands.

SnesR0X
April 7th, 2007, 08:49
Madhouse by Anthrax :D

LilSwish722
April 7th, 2007, 15:09
Dude...Cemetary Gates by Pantera...If you play that...you are my hero lol. And Madhouse is ok. try playing some older stuff too. Like Jessica by The Allman Brothers Band. Thats got some good guitar in it. but if your not into that older stuff, try Cemetary Gates or Beast and the Harlot. Or you can try playing Walk by Pantera

gamerremag
April 7th, 2007, 16:50
uh, so im taking that you are gunna play metal songs at the battel of the bands....im kinda into punk/ska so if you want my three:

The Acro-brats-callouthttp://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=21880607&MyToken=132b391b-57b2-4d64-9798-7c4f78e676a3
Rancid-roots radicals
Goldfinger- my head

i cant find a link to the rancid or goldfinger one (obviously) and i would upload them, but i dont know if iits legal or not....

mesosade
April 7th, 2007, 19:12
whoever mentioned dragonforce did they take into account they'll need to find someone with elephant lungs and no testicles as the singer? >_>

pibs
April 7th, 2007, 20:56
how about Frankenstein by Edgar Winters Group

Jump in the Fire by Metallica

The Trooper by Iron Maiden

good luck if u even attempt dragon force.......

kcajblue
April 8th, 2007, 01:53
whoever mentioned dragonforce did they take into account they'll need to find someone with elephant lungs and no testicles as the singer? >_>i mentioned dragonforce and you stole my sig pics.

PLZKLLME0080
April 8th, 2007, 17:28
im trying to keep away of the type of metal where they scream instead of sing, such as pantera. i may try doing free for all by ted nugent also. i need at least 1 song that is easy to dance to, and at least 1 that just plain out ROCKs.

Nevuk
April 11th, 2007, 16:13
Ok, first off, pantera doesn't scream. Not even close. Metallica is a lot screamier than they are, its more of a low growl. Second, i'm fairly sure DF just abuses the shit out of a delay pedal(And the best song on that album is Flame of Youth, it blows fire and flames away). If you want to hear metal with actual screaming, you won't. Closest thing to it is older fall of troy. I'm not a metalhead so I can't suggest what your preferences are, but I do listen to a lot of music. Only song I like with a solo in it tho is Minor Threat's Out of Step(With the World) and thats probably impossible to play and too short anyways.

Triv1um
April 11th, 2007, 16:36
Ok, first off, pantera doesn't scream. Not even close. Metallica is a lot screamier than they are.

What are you smoking?

Play cemetery gates, it shows that you can play accoustic'y and metal'y. lol

Nevuk
April 11th, 2007, 21:05
What are you smoking?

Play cemetery gates, it shows that you can play accoustic'y and metal'y. lol

Uh, pot. But that doesn't impair my judgment. I should've specified more tho. Metallica sorta screams a bit on Kill 'em all, but none after that(Mostly on hit the lights). But no, neither of them scream in the slightest except for that album. Guttural, yes, screaming no.

SnesR0X
April 11th, 2007, 21:31
Cowboys from hell

PLZKLLME0080
April 12th, 2007, 15:46
Ok, first off, pantera doesn't scream. Not even close. Metallica is a lot screamier than they are, its more of a low growl.

I mean like how the vocals are, weather or not it's screaming. I meant to say that I'm trying to stay away from stuff that has vocals like. Pantera or Lamb of God does.

SnesR0X
April 12th, 2007, 16:19
if you did laid to rest you would please me

PLZKLLME0080
April 12th, 2007, 16:53
if you did laid to rest you would please me

That song is easy to play.

Yobumtin
April 12th, 2007, 18:14
Yeah laid to rest is pretty simple. But listen to cemetery gates. It will please you and they definitely don't scream.

SnesR0X
April 12th, 2007, 20:42
That song is easy to play.

can you/your singer sing it right though?

PLZKLLME0080
April 12th, 2007, 21:13
can you/your singer sing it right though?

i dont have a singer yet. im workin on it.

LilSwish722
April 12th, 2007, 21:30
lmao. playin battle of the bands with no singer hehe. Dude...PLAY TUPAC FOR BATTLE OF THE BANDS lmao

PLZKLLME0080
April 12th, 2007, 21:32
lmao. playin battle of the bands with no singer hehe. Dude...PLAY TUPAC FOR BATTLE OF THE BANDS lmao

i dont have a singer RIGHT NOW, but im working on FINDING one.

Accordion
April 12th, 2007, 22:19
anything by the 'Advantage'

nes music!!!!

or if you really want to impress do a erik mongrain air tap thing, followed by a joana newsom cover with you singing!

andycooper
April 14th, 2007, 22:45
Whats happening?
Is it just you with guitar playing, or are you playing with a band?

PLZKLLME0080
April 14th, 2007, 23:56
Whats happening?
Is it just you with guitar playing, or are you playing with a band?

I'll be playing the lead guitar, with a band which i havent completely got yet. im lookin for people in my school who would like to join it. ive already got a rythem guitar.

baracki96
April 15th, 2007, 00:45
Alright I play Sax and Drum so I've been in quite a few bands over the years and have on occassion been asked to do something like what you're doing ( Go somewhere, play a few good songs, get paid, go home) From my experiance the formula that the audience feels the most is starting with a really epic song, in your case it sounds like that would be you're a Dragonforce song that shows people that you've got tallent and gets them hype. Next would be a slightly slower song, and since you said you wanted something people can dance to I would personally not do a heavy metal song but maybe a popular rock song like A7x or even better Hendrix ( All around the watch tower just kills the audience, every time), finish with something memorable, a song with a really caatchy powerful riff, such as master of puppets or something along those lines. Just helpin' out a fellow musician.

PLZKLLME0080
April 15th, 2007, 00:46
awsome that sounds great! thanks!

baracki96
April 15th, 2007, 00:49
awsome that sounds great! thanks!
NP

pt9087
April 15th, 2007, 02:15
[QUOTE=Triv1um xxx;395462]trivium - pull harder ..
QUOTE]

I can play that, i love trivium, i can also do requiem, a gunshot, part of the crusade ( the song ), ember to inferno, entrance of the conflagration, anthem we are the fire, suffocating sight and dying in your arms.

SnesR0X
April 15th, 2007, 02:45
[QUOTE=Triv1um xxx;395462]trivium - pull harder ..
QUOTE]

I can play that, i love trivium, i can also do requiem, a gunshot, part of the crusade ( the song ), ember to inferno, entrance of the conflagration, anthem we are the fire, suffocating sight and dying in your arms.

nice, but their new album sucks, to the MAX!!!!!!