PDA

View Full Version : Charticle: The First Four Months

Shrygue
April 4th, 2007, 21:32
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/charticle-the-first-four-months-249629.php)

http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/04/Firstfour.JPG

I present to you the NPD numbers of sales in the U.S. for the first four months the consoles were in stores. Looks like the Wii isn't being held back, it's just selling like a mofo. And wow, Xbox, I had no idea.

Leave feedback via comments.

DarthPaul
April 4th, 2007, 22:40
Blasphemy..

sappo
April 4th, 2007, 22:40
Only four words.

PS3 IS A FAILURE.

They should have sticked with PS2.

DarthPaul
April 4th, 2007, 22:49
Only four words.

PS3 IS A FAILURE.

Only two words.

F*** ***.

PS3 is the best system ever. Lol.

waco13
April 4th, 2007, 22:53
360 must be an even bigger failure. The Japanese charts are probably exposing the 360 as an even bigger failure than the US chart here shows.

woods05
April 4th, 2007, 23:16
Only two words.

F*** ***.

i think both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are selling poorly.
Booyah, go Wii

Even the gamecube beats both sony systems.

Game_over
April 5th, 2007, 00:08
The NPD numbers are only a portion of the overall sales of each console. They are a rounded aproximation that is design to give us an estimated guess at how each console is going. The NPD numbers don't include numbers from big chains like Wal-mart (which was the number one go to place to get the PS2). So the overall numbers could dramatically change the chart.

-For your consideration.

eazy-e
April 5th, 2007, 00:16
Only four words.

PS3 IS A FAILURE.

hell no ps3 aint no failure it just needs more games it willl rise up on top sooner or later

jools
April 5th, 2007, 00:24
I don't see the big deal with the wii except the remote...

SSaxdude
April 5th, 2007, 00:27
The PS3 is a failure, all the good games are being ported to 360, and Blu-Ray/HD DVD aren't the next DVD.

Dreamcast pwns PS3 in terms of games, homebrew, and price.

JKKDARK
April 5th, 2007, 00:31
Where is the Dreamcast? :mad: :mad:

waco13
April 5th, 2007, 00:35
I agree with Ssaxdude...Dreamcast rules!!!!

Demolition49
April 5th, 2007, 01:04
no surprises there, looks as if nintendo are back at the top. in handheld and home console. Just what i wanted to see.

paul1991
April 5th, 2007, 01:07
Suck on that, PS3!

emuking
April 5th, 2007, 01:14
ps3 is a failure i am going to happily enjoy playing gta4 and mgs4 when they are released on the much more affordable xbox360, ps3 sucks because all the good games get ported to 360 so there is no point in buying a ps3 it is just a piece of sh1t no matter how you look at it

kcajblue
April 5th, 2007, 01:54
all i see is the wii pwning.

eazy-e
April 5th, 2007, 02:09
ps3 is a failure i am going to happily enjoy playing gta4 and mgs4 when they are released on the much more affordable xbox360, ps3 sucks because all the good games get ported to 360 so there is no point in buying a ps3 it is just a piece of sh1t no matter how you look at it

helll no u aint playin mgs4 on the 360 like hideo kojima said tha game is made for the theatre and not da dvd.... ps3 inshallah will rise yalll..

bm4n
April 5th, 2007, 02:13
The PS3 isn't a failure! As soon as the PS3 gets good games, online multiplayer, controllers, DVD format, exclusive games...Never mind, it fails.

PS I realize that MGS4 is the greatest game ever (and the only good game that will ever come out exclusively for the PS3) but one game is not enough to save the system. Kojima wants it to be PS3 exclusive and as much as I respect the man and his opinion I pray every day that Konami will force him to multi platform it...=)

eazy-e
April 5th, 2007, 02:13
Only two words.

F*** ***.

hell yea ps3 is da best system ever made F*** da 360 AND da M***** F****** wiii

eazy-e
April 5th, 2007, 02:15
Suck on that, PS3!

suck on dat 360

eazy-e
April 5th, 2007, 02:19
The PS3 isn't a failure! As soon as the PS3 gets good games, online multiplayer, controllers, DVD format, exclusive games...Never mind, it fails.

PS I realize that MGS4 is the greatest game ever (and the only good game that will ever come out exclusively for the PS3) but one game is not enough to save the system. Kojima wants it to be PS3 exclusive and as much as I respect the man and his opinion I pray every day that Konami will force him to multi platform it...=)

iight mgs4 will never go multi platform i guranteee u that and like i said ps3 will dominate inshallah sooooner or later

Cap'n 1time
April 5th, 2007, 02:21
suck on dat 360

please refrain from speaking like a 3 year old. The dis and dat talk is reserved for cooing babies, and people who are shunned on the internet, you arnt either of those people are you?

I am pretty surprised the the original Xbox's sales. As for the 360, you have to keep in mind that there were very limited quantities of 360's (they didnt manufacture enough to begin with) in its first entire year of release, so it isnt really fair to compare it with the others.

eazy-e
April 5th, 2007, 02:21
I don't see the big deal with the wii except the remote...

True that

eazy-e
April 5th, 2007, 02:22
please refrain from speaking like a 3 year old. The dis and dat talk is reserved for cooing babies, and people who are shunned on the internet, you arnt either of those people are you?

I am pretty surprised the the original Xbox's sales. As for the 360, you have to keep in mind that there were very limited quantities of 360's (they didnt manufacture enough to begin with) in its first entire year of release, so it isnt really fair to compare it with the others.

Are u juss tellin me thiz

eazy-e
April 5th, 2007, 02:24

ma bad ban hammer

voteforpedro36
April 5th, 2007, 03:03
Seriously, the guy who posted in all bold has a point. I mean, seriously, when did the GameCube ever sell? Lol...

kcajblue
April 5th, 2007, 04:15
True that

suck on dat 360

iight mgs4 will never go multi platform i guranteee u that and like i said ps3 will dominate inshallah sooooner or later

Are u juss tellin me thiz

ma bad ban hammeryou could have multiquoted. instead of triple posting twice.

Basil Zero
April 5th, 2007, 05:37
Only four words.

PS3 IS A FAILURE.

ahhh.....u'r logic phails

PS3 outsold in numbers if u check in 1st 4 months compared to xbox360, sign of good times to come:thumbup:

Paradok
April 5th, 2007, 06:16
Seriously, the guy who posted in all bold has a point. I mean, seriously, when did the GameCube ever sell? Lol...

In the first four months, apparently.

Actually, I know far more people who own Gamecubes than who own PS2s, and I've heard far more complaints about PS2s from PS2 owners than about Gamecubes from Gamecube owners. But hey, that's just me.

Also, more than half of the people I know who own PS2s have bought more than one of them, either because their first ones broke or were performing poorly, or because they wanted a newer smaller model. What do you think that does to PS2 sales?

I really don't know much about the X-Box from personal experience. I probably will get a 360 for GTA IV though. Cheaper than upgrading my PC.

BrooksyX
April 5th, 2007, 06:50
Its to late to call the Xbox 360 a failure. It already has over 10 million units shipped in the first year and a half. I could see 15 million units sold by this time next year with the release of the elite and a price drop on the core and premium units.

I think we will see who is going to win the console war for this gen in the holiday season later this year. We will be able to see who came out on top because there will be enough consoles shipped from each company. I see the Xbox 360 having an advantage over the PS3 with Halo 3 and all the PS3 exclusive titles heading towards the 360.

Joe88
April 5th, 2007, 07:40
only reason im buying a PS3 is for GoW3
of course some other games like MGS4, FFXIII, killzone 2 will do fine also :D

DarthPaul
April 5th, 2007, 07:47
The PS3 is a failure, all the good games are being ported to 360, and Blu-Ray/HD DVD aren't the next DVD.

Dreamcast pwns PS3 in terms of games, homebrew, and price.

Omg PS3 is just starting. It has less than half a year on the market. Just give time to the time. Let good games come.

DarthPaul
April 5th, 2007, 07:52

The only game you son of ... lol joke. But what the hell? What about Kingdom Hearts 3,God Of War 3,Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII,Lair,...And wait for the new Ratchet And Clank or Jak & Daxter on PS3.

It looks like eazy-e is the only one with the eyes open here. I love you dude. And for the rest of you,this one goes for you:

YOU'RE ALL,ALL! JUST A FU**ING BUNCH OF POOR PEOPLE THAT CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY A PS3! YOU HAVE TO PAY WELL FOR GOOD THINGS,BECAUSE THEY AREN'T CHEAP. AND THE PS3 IS ONE OF THOSE GOOD THINGS!

Joe88
April 5th, 2007, 08:17
The only game you son of ... lol joke. But what the hell? What about Kingdom Hearts 3,God Of War 3,Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII,Lair,Devil May Cry 4...And wait for the new Ratchet And Clank or Jak & Daxter on PS3.

indeed
well DMC4 will be on the 360 also ...

dont forget about eight days, supposed to be good PS3 exclusive

felonyr301
April 5th, 2007, 08:42
Being fanboys is just hurting yourself, be a true gamer and have all three consoles and you will have your pick of all the best games out there, though I will admit it's becoming harder and harder to justify buying the ps3 when all the good games I thought was going to be on the ps3 is on the 360 now....DMC4,GTA4 and surely a couple more considering that the 360 has already over 10 million consoles in homes which means more potential for companies to sell their games like how Honda vehicles have the most aftermarket support compared to Kia vehicles lol.

werpu
April 5th, 2007, 09:18
Interesting numbers, my personal thought to this is, that Zelda was the main driving force for the gamecube sales. If enough Wii had been there probably most of the cube sales would have gone towards the Wii. Buying a Cube is simply a no brainer, the thing is cheap, there is a fair number of exclusives which you cannot get on other consoles, and there is Zelda Twilight Princess and a Wii shortage.

Psumoni
April 5th, 2007, 10:35
As you can tell from the gamecube's sales, the first 4 months apparently mean exactly dick in the overall picture.

Paradok
April 5th, 2007, 12:43
It looks like eazy-e is the only one with the eyes open here.

You have got to be kidding me. That guy has been putting about as much thought into what comes out of his mouth as he does into what comes out of his backside. Less so actually, because even at the back end, every now and then, a person will look down into that bowl and say, "That just ain't right."

YOU'RE ALL,ALL! JUST A FU**ING BUNCH OF POOR PEOPLE THAT CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY A PS3! YOU HAVE TO PAY WELL FOR GOOD THINGS,BECAUSE THEY AREN'T CHEAP. AND THE PS3 IS ONE OF THOSE GOOD THINGS!

I can afford a PS3 no problem, but I'm still not going to buy one. There are plenty of things that my money would be better spent on, and as much as I love my PSP, I would hate to have to fight Sony every step of the way with a $600 console like we have with the PSP.

voltorben
April 5th, 2007, 14:19

Thats bullshit. I could buy one if i wanted! But why should i, when i could get a wii + a game and save the rest of the money for other stuff? Its ridicules, since theres nothing that really makes it better than the 360 and wii!
Who the hell cares about the graphics anyway? from my point of view its the gameplay that makes a game good, not the graphics (and the graphics is not bad at all on the 360 and the wii). and everybody has a ****ing DVD-player anyway.

sappo
April 5th, 2007, 15:33

Hey, all games for PS3 are going to be also for X360, why buying something that has an XMB like a PSP (I already have that, and I don't need a giant PSP on my HDTV) that has no exclusives?

The best is like Microsoft said:
X360+Wii for Hardcore gamers.

Let's make Sony learn that making a 600 bucks console and don't making good launch titles is a friggin' bad idea.

Also when everyone says "PS3 iz jez startin'", I would like to point that PS3 came out far before Wii, in USA. Or the Wii hadn't to start? :D

Ewan
April 5th, 2007, 15:41
As you can tell from the gamecube's sales, the first 4 months apparently mean exactly dick in the overall picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

Sold 10 million + units, 225,000 in the first 24 hours (which was a record at the time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Saturn

Sold 10 million units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_Interactive_Multiplayer

Sold 6 million units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Ultra_64

Sold 32 million units

Failure is seldom in the eyes of the console itself, but in the game library and mass appeal of the system. The Wii is getting a great launch, and I think that the 360 has a good online story so far.. but it's way too early in the generation to tell the true winner. A limited handful of 1st party titles makes a compelling reason to get a system, but it's the 3rd party library that makes it "great" or not.

I'd go so far as to claim the PS3 *may* be in trouble because of production costs on the discs. The 360 and the Wii are using DVD technology, which is a cheap and efficient way to deliver content currently. Most of the systems listed above had "non-standard" (to the times) game delivery methods. When you look at Nintendo's decision to keep away from the CD on the N64 was a performance and load time issue, and it backfired. The Dreamcast had the "GDRom", and the GC had the "mini-dvd" production deal.

We'll see if Blu-Ray turns out to be a good or bad decision or not, but it will be interesting to see for sure.

And.. my 3 year old speaks better than some of these posts...

sappo
April 5th, 2007, 15:52
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

Sold 10 million + units, 225,000 in the first 24 hours (which was a record at the time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Saturn

Sold 10 million units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO_Interactive_Multiplayer

Sold 6 million units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Ultra_64

Sold 32 million units

Failure is seldom in the eyes of the console itself, but in the game library and mass appeal of the system. The Wii is getting a great launch, and I think that the 360 has a good online story so far.. but it's way too early in the generation to tell the true winner. A limited handful of 1st party titles makes a compelling reason to get a system, but it's the 3rd party library that makes it "great" or not.

I'd go so far as to claim the PS3 *may* be in trouble because of production costs on the discs. The 360 and the Wii are using DVD technology, which is a cheap and efficient way to deliver content currently. Most of the systems listed above had "non-standard" (to the times) game delivery methods. When you look at Nintendo's decision to keep away from the CD on the N64 was a performance and load time issue, and it backfired. The Dreamcast had the "GDRom", and the GC had the "mini-dvd" production deal.

We'll see if Blu-Ray turns out to be a good or bad decision or not, but it will be interesting to see for sure.

And.. my 3 year old speaks better than some of these posts...

Well said, friend.

Let's see what will happen :thumbup:

Demolition49
April 5th, 2007, 18:10
hmm, i didnt realise people got so worked up over this stuff. how ridiculous.

eazy-e
April 5th, 2007, 18:25
The only game you son of ... lol joke. But what the hell? What about Kingdom Hearts 3,God Of War 3,Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII,Lair,...And wait for the new Ratchet And Clank or Jak & Daxter on PS3.

It looks like eazy-e is the only one with the eyes open here. I love you dude. And for the rest of you,this one goes for you:

lmao dude iam with you

itz all about the Mighty "THEATRE" ps3 yallll

PS3's overwhelmingly realistic graphics will give it a long life span. It will stay competitive even when a game console battle breaks out among a newer generation of machines in 2010. Sales should grow every time Sony cuts prices.

ish420ism
April 5th, 2007, 19:39
It doesn't matter, None of the companies will ever loose money. They might not get the profits they want. But, there will ALWAYS be a profit

ish420ism
April 5th, 2007, 19:40
We Want Eazy!!

SSaxdude
April 5th, 2007, 22:15

PS3 is the best system ever? Please, nothing can compare to the NES or the Dreamcast. NOTHING. Just because it has good graphics and a few good exclusive games doesn't make it the best system ever.

bm4n
April 6th, 2007, 00:51
It doesn't matter, None of the companies will ever loose money. They might not get the profits they want. But, there will ALWAYS be a profit

Actually the entire Xbox brand is only set to make a profit for the first time this summer...Also on account of (almost) every good PS3 game is gonna be multiplatform, PS3 online play sucks, graphics on the 360 are as good as or better than every PS3 game, and the PS3 costs a ridiculous amount I'm gonna go ahead and say that people realize what a sucky system the PS3 is and allow the 360 to take its rightful spot on this console generation's throne within the next year or two. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy. I really wish that the PS3 didn't suck so much so that I could get rid of the launch day PS3 I got to sell that's been collecting dust in my closet. At least if it didn't suck I could play it but every time I try to convince myself to open the box (who are we kidding, the thing LOOKS hot) I realize that there is not one good game I could play on the system if I did open it.

The End.

Joe88
April 6th, 2007, 02:26
^um resistance and VF5 are good at the moment
and maybe motor storm depending on your preference ...

SSaxdude
April 6th, 2007, 03:48
^um resistance and VF5 are good at the moment
and maybe motor storm depending on your preference ...

Resistance is good but nothing new.
Virtua Fighter 5 is coming to 360.
Motor Storm is good but not great.

I'm a Sega fanboy, but also very angry at Sony for many reasons (some are personal.)

Joe88
April 6th, 2007, 04:28
let me guess
lik-sang ... ?

also the only next-gen counsel I have is a wii
only for zelda, yet I only bought the GCN ver, because I dont like the motion censored game play

Psyberjock
April 6th, 2007, 05:17
LoL Sony is selling more PS2s than PS3s! AND MS is selling more Xboxs than 360s! Granted the 360 has been out for longer than the PS3, so I would expect to see that a bit more.

The thing that is happening is this: Parents buy consoles for children. Parents don't buy $700 pieces of hardware for children to destroy. Apparently they don't buy $300-400 pieces of hardware for children to destroy either. but a $150-200 is acceptable, especially if it makes them exercise. Even better are the older and "it looks the same to me" systems like Xbox and PS2 that have thousands of games to choose from.

In the past Sony and MS sold their products at a loss to get them into the homes of families. This time they sold them at a loss to get them in to the homes of the hardcore gamers who would have bought them anyway.

darth_grantius
April 6th, 2007, 10:25
LoL Sony is selling more PS2s than PS3s! AND MS is selling more Xboxs than 360s! Granted the 360 has been out for longer than the PS3, so I would expect to see that a bit more.

The thing that is happening is this: Parents buy consoles for children. Parents don't buy $700 pieces of hardware for children to destroy. Apparently they don't buy $300-400 pieces of hardware for children to destroy either. but a $150-200 is acceptable, especially if it makes them exercise. Even better are the older and "it looks the same to me" systems like Xbox and PS2 that have thousands of games to choose from.

In the past Sony and MS sold their products at a loss to get them into the homes of families. This time they sold them at a loss to get them in to the homes of the hardcore gamers who would have bought them anyway.

Plus alot of early adoptors are looking at the playstation brand because of the great success of the PS1 and PS2, my mother included. she knows nothing about gaming, yet insists the PS3 is the most popular because of something she read in the womans weekly lol

Paradok
April 6th, 2007, 11:50

Actually, Sony's gaming division, SCE, is pretty frequently in the red. Other subsidiaries of the Sony parent company are a little more reliable, so the entire company is probably always showing a profit, but not necessarily the division responsible for producing the Playstation line. I heard Sony as a whole has been having some financial worries lately though, so I don't know. Microsoft works in a similar way with the X-Box, with other divisions picking up the slack for the gaming division, but if I remember right they started showing profits on it earlier and more steadily.

Styroformer
April 6th, 2007, 23:01
The ignorance on this board...eazy-e, could you at least explain why the ps3 is better other than just saying its amazing...and quit talking like your 2.

A person can be a fanboy and still think a console sucks. Just because i think Sony keeps screwing up everything with the ps3, doesn't mean that i cant have a non-biased opinion. I do like my 360, but i would love if there were more games that werent just shitty ports or crappy games that the sole reason for there birth was to make a quick buck. I love my wii, but this drought is killing me, im excited for the new games coming out, like brawl, mario Vs sonic, NiGHTS, MP3, Pokemon, My sims, and so on...so long as they start rolling out, 360 games and VC titles will only go so far.

Oh, and Psyberjock, these sales are the first 4 months when the consoles sold, not the past for months.

textkihi
April 6th, 2007, 23:38
The PS3 is the BEST and will live up to the PS2. Just dont be greedy and go for quality instead of the cheap stuff :D