PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus R11 plans

blackrave
April 5th, 2007, 02:29
Via StrmnNrmn (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com)

I had planned on posting this update on Monday, but I've spent the last couple of nights catching up on a few games that I've not had chance to play since they were released (Crackdown (http://crackdownoncrime.com/) on the 360 and Afterburner : Black Falcon (http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=afterburner) on the PSP for the curious :)

For R11 I'm hoping to fix the Expansion Pak support for once and for all. Memory is currently very tight (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/2007/03/look-inside-daedalus.html), so I need to look at shaving off a few hundered KB here and there. Almost all the memory Daedalus uses is allocated up front - there are very few dynamic allocations at runtime, with the biggest culprit being the texture cache. So for R11 I want to introduce a pooled allocator for the texture cache, which will mean that when it runs out of memory, you just get white textures appearing rather than a hard crash.

The other feature I want to improve in R11 is the way that global settings and per-rom settings are handled. At the moment Daedalus discards any changes to settings that you make when you restart your PSP, and it can be incredibly tedious setting things up every time you run a game. This is quite a small feature to add, but I think it will make the emulator much nicer to use.

Behind the scenes, I want to spend a short while working on some scripts to handle packaging new releases for distribution. Current I do all of this by hand, and it's one of the things I least enjoy about the project. Hopefully, the more automated I can make this, the more frequently I'm likely to release builds :)

I'd like to get all these changes done and release R11 within a couple of weeks. I have a couple of busy weekends coming up, so I'm not going to specify an exact date. You can expect it before May though (I'll try not to be a couple of days late this time :)

R11 is essentially going to be a compatibility release - hopefully the Expansion Pak support will lead to a few more roms running (Majora's Mask being one I've already verified). Looking further ahead, R12 will be back to concentrating on speed (as it happened, R10 achieved a 10-15% speedup without having implemented the majority of the optimisations I had planned :)

-StrmnNrmn

PS Off to Spain again over the Easter bank holiday weekend. Back on Tuesday :)

dj2005
April 5th, 2007, 02:34
Thanks for the news. R11 and R12 sound very good, especially R12. :)

factor remix
April 5th, 2007, 02:39
I thought he was died?

He is know a zombie or wat? (J/K)

great news about R11 and R12

EDIT: He will use ME???

samthegreat68
April 5th, 2007, 02:43
bomb to me

DarthPaul
April 5th, 2007, 02:47
Yeah!! Great news

jurkevicz
April 5th, 2007, 03:02
AWSOME! Thanks a lot for all the hard work StrumnNrmn

mike03$$$
April 5th, 2007, 03:06
Nooooooooooooooo I want more graphics the wrestling games is just getting there only the game developer stuff show in the begining of the game

Buddy4point0
April 5th, 2007, 03:09
sweet l love this!. cant wait 4 r11

Gold Line
April 5th, 2007, 03:11
cant wait for R13

wolfpack
April 5th, 2007, 03:16
ooooh daedalus r11 will be focused on compatibility? good cuz i want mystical ninja starring goemon to work... classic title

V3N0M
April 5th, 2007, 03:25
If he can get Smash Bros. to run in the next release, I'll be a happy camper. :p

joshisposer
April 5th, 2007, 03:30
I really want him to be able to post more releases. That would be cool. I also want him more on compatibility right now. As you can tell, he can add speed very easily right now, so I want him to try to get more games to work so then he can do speed. Right now, the more popular games are running at good speeds (the ones that do work).
Hopefully, R11 will be released like before May like he said and then R12 be a quick speed release. then on R13, COMPATIBILITY!!! Expansion pak should help though with some games. Some games don't require it but it helps with it. Also, i am glad he is going to make it save my settings, I hate always having to change full screen mode to other settings. Plus, +2 frameskip would be cool saved and stuff.
Go StrmnNrmn

factor remix
April 5th, 2007, 03:34
I was just thinking in something... I really think that super smash bros will run at playble speed with daedalus R11... because all the 2d games that work with daedalus like: paper mario, rampage, rampage 2 and others... run at full speed (or almost)

Gold Line
April 5th, 2007, 03:47
I was just thinking in something... I really think that super smash bros will run at playble speed with daedalus R11... because all the 2d games that work with daedalus like: paper mario, rampage, rampage 2 and others... run at full speed (or almost)

what did you say paper mario works on R10:eek:

factor remix
April 5th, 2007, 03:57
what did you say paper mario works on R10:eek:

the game will crash if you dont have the save file, all you need is a save file... and I really think the game run at full speed

gr42178
April 5th, 2007, 04:02
Will the ME be used in R11? Probably not since its a compatibility update. Maybe in R12...

joshisposer
April 5th, 2007, 04:11
Probably no ME this time.
BTW, does anyone know how to use the SVN? The guides are a bit confusing for TortoiseSVN. If you do, can u im me on either msn or aim. I'm at school during the day but am on like all the time. I want to keep up to date with StrmnNrmn on daedalus.

Basil Zero
April 5th, 2007, 05:28
WOOT

Good news regardless, cant wait for R12, speed is what i need

Zaitmi
April 5th, 2007, 05:31
"the game will crash if you dont have the save file, all you need is a save file... and I really think the game run at full speed"

Can u provide a save file please?

factor remix
April 5th, 2007, 05:42
"the game will crash

Can u provide a save file please?

you will need pj64 and paper mario, start the game using pj64 and creat a save file (just put your name in papaer mario to creat a user) and then go to the pj64 folders, go to SAVE folder and copy it to daedalus SAVE folder... thats all

Zaitmi
April 5th, 2007, 06:13
The save file doesn't work. What extension should I have it?

factor remix
April 5th, 2007, 06:33
The save file doesn't work. What extension should I have it?

*.sav

ps: the file should have the same name as your rom... example:

ROM: Paper Mario (U)[!]
SAVE: Paper Mario (U)[!].sav

Veskgar
April 5th, 2007, 07:48
Thank you StrmnNrmn!

R12 sounds very exciting. I particularly like how you are going to focus on how the emulator functions (settings saved on a per ROM basis) - Its settings, functionality, and a good GUI that make using an Emulator that much more impressive and convenient.

I've definitely started watching this project much more closely. Your work is very much appreciated.

felonyr301
April 5th, 2007, 08:51
It's funny how a lot of people are saying "can't wait for r12" instead of r11 lol but I won't lie me too lol. I'm hoping by early August i'll be able to play zelda at playable speeds with good sound which probably is r14.

StrmnNrmn
April 5th, 2007, 08:56
the game will crash if you dont have the save file, all you need is a save file... and I really think the game run at full speed

Wow - that's news to me!

Thanks for the tip - I'll try and have a look to see why its crashing when default-initialising the save game data.

Wally
April 5th, 2007, 09:15
Hey strmnNrmn.

Do you want a hand with the blendmodes that arent added? im willing to pitch in :)

-Xandu-
April 5th, 2007, 09:29
Could someone upload the Paper Mario sav file please?

tophead420
April 5th, 2007, 10:22
Compatibility and settings being saved so I don't have to set it every time are the two things I was wanting thank you so much strmn nrmn you are awesome

tgm123
April 5th, 2007, 16:12
lol cant wait for Daedalus R Final!

factor remix
April 5th, 2007, 16:20
Wow - that's news to me!

Thanks for the tip - I'll try and have a look to see why its crashing when default-initialising the save game data.

no problem, and I got an idea about save...

just add savestates, its not going to take so much to code it, and its going to be nice... because all games can now be saved:thumbup:

shadowhawk22
April 5th, 2007, 17:13
Thanks for all your hard work. I can't wait to show this emulator off to my friend who sold his PSP. I can rub it in his face that I can play Ocarina of Time on the go. W000t. Thanks a ton!

SpacemanSpiff
April 5th, 2007, 18:22
*.sav

ps: the file should have the same name as your rom... example:

ROM: Paper Mario (U)[!]
SAVE: Paper Mario (U)[!].sav

Doesn't work. What version of the ROM are you using? When I start Paper Mario in Daedalus it creates a .mpk file, not .sav. Starting a new game in PJ64 gives me a compressed .fla file, I tried renaming it to rom_name.sav like you suggested which didn't work, and when I tried renaming it to rom_name.mpk the emulator overwrote it when I started the game.

Zaitmi
April 5th, 2007, 18:47
I still can't get the save file to work. I renamed the .fla file as well and I get no results. The rom is unzipped, which means it has a .z64 extension. I tried including .z64 and not including .z64 in the file extension. I don't know what else to do. I wrote the rom name, and then I put .sav at the end. It still doesn't work. Any ideas?

hypochondriac
April 5th, 2007, 19:38
I dont reckon it works. I tried everything and it all failed. Probably someone on a wind up

xg917
April 5th, 2007, 21:04
some1 just upload the paper mario save so that nobody complains anymore

wiredforpower
April 5th, 2007, 21:31
looking forward to the speed on R12

aries2k4
April 5th, 2007, 22:07
Thanks for all your updates StrmnNrmn. This emulator is coming along real nice. I´m hoping someday we can get decent sound without affecting the framerate. So much stuff to work on but I´m sure you´ll get to it eventually.
Hoping you have a good Easter and a good time in Spain.

factor remix
April 5th, 2007, 22:08
Doesn't work. What version of the ROM are you using? When I start Paper Mario in Daedalus it creates a .mpk file, not .sav. Starting a new game in PJ64 gives me a compressed .fla file, I tried renaming it to rom_name.sav like you suggested which didn't work, and when I tried renaming it to rom_name.mpk the emulator overwrote it when I started the game.
thats rare... try using other emulator or something, or other rom...

I would love to upload the .sav file, but I really cant... my computer got 96 virus (or something like that) last week, when I had tried to open a .exe file... lol

Right now I am using my wii to type this...

LilSwish722
April 5th, 2007, 23:01
This is great. R11 sounds like it'll be great. And R12 too.

Zion
April 6th, 2007, 10:38
i wish everyone would stop harping on about compatibility.

speed is the first step for a number of reasons.

1. You can actually enjoy playing the games.
2. You will have better sound.

Why would anyone want every game to work but stay at the current speed? :confused:

doesnt make any sense to me.

So what if goldeneye or super smash bros doesnt work yet. I want to play them too but just have patience.

As usual the moaners have got there way, and now he is working on compat for R11 rather than speed.

If strmnrmn suddenly had to stop working on the emu for whatever reason, we would all know that you compat freaks are to blame for holding back the speed progression of this emu.

Get over it and let it get decent fps first (25-30fps on most games) THEN worry about compatibillity

On The Rise
April 6th, 2007, 14:43

Why would anyone want every game to work but stay at the current speed? :confused:

So what if goldeneye or super smash bros doesnt work yet. I want to play them too but just have patience.

As usual the moaners have got there way, and now he is working on compat for R11 rather than speed.

If strmnrmn suddenly had to stop working on the emu for whatever reason, we would all know that you compat freaks are to blame for holding back the speed progression of this emu.

Get over it and let it get decent fps first (25-30fps on most games) THEN worry about compatibillity

I can agree with this somewhat. We need decent speeds to enjoy the emulator and then go to compatibility. It seems though all he has been working on is speed which is great:thumbup: but I guess he just wants to change it up a bit for people that want to see compatibility so he can make everyone happy. I don't mind that he is making a compat release because he has made statements saying speeds are coming along pretty well. I'm glad he is inclouding others opinions on the emulator.

Thanks for all the hard work StrmnNrmn:thumbup:

tallica
April 6th, 2007, 21:02
I like the sound of R12 :) Great work!

CaptainMorgan4
April 6th, 2007, 22:15
StrmnNrmn I've been appreciating your work since R1 and I'm very happy about the progression this emulator has taken. Since R11 will be a compatability release do you think there is any chance you can get Diddy Kong Racing, Super Smash Brothers, and Goldeneye to work in R11. Most importantly though I would liek to see DKR work on R11 because it runs at great speeds, from the display framerate option you can see it runs at speeds like Mario Kart 64. If you fix that annoying problem where the screen is just one solid color and make it so you can see where your going, then that would just be AMAZING. Please StrmnNrmn if you could get one game fixed in R11 please make it be DKR that game is great and I would really like to see it running on R11. Thanks for your work StrmnNrmn and I will continue to enjoy reading and testing your work!

Wally
April 6th, 2007, 22:25
Morgan,

I wish you would STOP asking about these games, i'm sure StrmnNrmn is aware they arent working. We don't need you to keep posting about it.

Its getting a bit selfish and making you look very young.

Give us all a break Kthx

Wally

CaptainMorgan4
April 6th, 2007, 22:33
I don't care how it makes me look, yes I've asked about these games alot and it's because I haven't gotten a clear answer yet from StrmnNrmn about why they're not running. Now Wally your a person that stays around the pc alot, why don't you try some of your magic and see what the real problem with DKR is? Until StrmnNrmn would kindly address these issues with me or on his blog then I will stop asking about them.

ps. Wally I don't know how those posts made me look "young" but really I don't care how they make me look because either way it doesn't change my age and what do I care about what some people on a forum think, I have a life. Have a nice time in Spain StrmnNrmn.

Wally
April 6th, 2007, 22:45
Morgan,

why don't you learn how to do it yourself :P.

If you have a life then why keep pestering a developer over such small mingles (Yes its a random word Hurray)

Just look after yourself, StrmnNrmn will fix DKR up eventually... Patience my padwan

Wally

CaptainMorgan4
April 6th, 2007, 22:53
I'm not pestering anyone I'm just asking a simple question about 3 compatbility disabled games. Wally I have been here cheering on StrmnNrmn since R1 so I think I deserve a little more respect, anyway StrmnNrmn if you could get DKR working soon that would be great! Wally I'm patient, I waited with confidence for R9 I can wait out this DKR fix.

ps. You answered your own question though, I can't fix the DKR problem myself because I do have a life and don't have time to learn about coding to fix the problem. Don't get me wrong I wish I could fix this problem myself, I really do but that fact makes me appreciate StrmnNrmn's work that much more though. I'm glad he works on Daedalus in his spare time and for free, I know he probably has a life and the fact he can take time out to work on this makes me appreciate it that much more.

Emeriastone
April 6th, 2007, 23:11
He does a good job.

tophead420
April 6th, 2007, 23:48

I way have to disagree with you how am i supposed to enjoy playing games when i cant even play what i want because it doesn't work. I think working on the compat is a smart idea because what if he focused on the speed and got it full speed then worked on the compat this could lead to him having to work on speed again because the compat could bring speed down again. So i think hes right in making R11 a compat release maybe now i can play something different then mario for Christ sake.

Edit: o yea dont be blaming us who wants compat If he did stop working on it nones to blame for anything so your need to stop YOUR moaning man just because we who want compat get one release while you guys wanting speed have had plenty so i think those wanting compat deserve this. Only reason you posted this is because you didn't get what YOU wanted

joshisposer
April 6th, 2007, 23:52
Yeah, we could play Super Smash!!! and then i would happy for like ever. That game is just amazing! Also, NFL Blitz is fun, but not popular so maybe not work on getting that game to work...
I just really want SSB to work because that game can just forever with all the different types of players you play with. Team, no team, stock, timer, etc.
I truly think, Zion, your post isn't that great. We need compatibility so we don't get stuck with just Mario 64 and Mario Kart even thought they are working well. I can wait for those games to work. Maybe, two months or so for those games to work.

Go Compatibility!!

CaptainMorgan4
April 6th, 2007, 23:54
You can play NFL Blitz 2001 at full speed and sound on the PSX emulator, don't have to use Daedalus for that title.

joshisposer
April 7th, 2007, 00:00
Morgan, i like it better on the N64. The loading times are too long for me on the psx/psp. I got 2000 for psp but i don't like it as much.

There is like a fan war sort of now.
Compatibility vs Speed.
I think compatibility is more smart. Like tophead said, if he gets too far, and then compatibility slows him down, everyone will eventually complain. I am tired of the same games working though.

So, who will win:
Compatibility
-or-
Speed

Kamon
April 7th, 2007, 00:30
Can't wait!

CaptainMorgan4
April 7th, 2007, 03:34
I hear that Josh but you can't beat a full speed NFL Blitz 2001 on psx/psp vs a barely working/if not working at all Blitz on StrmnNrmn's Daedalus. Anyway I wish StrmnNrmn the best and hope he gets Daedalus running DKR in R11.

On The Rise
April 7th, 2007, 23:26
Chill out with DKR man it seems like that is the only GOOD GAME you have ever played
ps: get some fresh air

joshisposer
April 7th, 2007, 23:45
I don't see a problem with him asking for DKR. It's been asked for since like R5. It's a fun/simple game to play. At least he's not complaining saying that he sucks for taking a break and working on compatibility. Everyone has opinions, but most people don't really care...

factor remix
April 8th, 2007, 00:43
Moragn said that DKR is running good... so fix the problem of the races, going to be great...

DKR for PSP Vs. DKR for DS

Jokemonky
April 8th, 2007, 11:57
I'm sure lots of people would like to see Paper Mario working in the next release. However, if Strmnrmn can't do that, I'd atleast like to see the .sav myth investigated, and if its true, the .sav uploaded.

On The Rise
April 8th, 2007, 17:11
I'm sure lots of people would like to see Paper Mario working in the next release. However, if Strmnrmn can't do that, I'd atleast like to see the .sav myth investigated, and if its true, the .sav uploaded.

i have been messing around with paper mario on my pc with project 64. You can choose with ur settings what type of save it can save as but it wont boot them game for certian game saves. I made paper mario save in sar or something like but when i load paper mario again it wont allow me to load it.

CaptainMorgan4
April 8th, 2007, 20:34
I'd like to see someone upload that save in Daedalus PSP format, but yeah DKR on PSP vs DS would be great!!