PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto KIller

wraggster
April 5th, 2007, 11:50
Via this is london (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23391305-details/Boy+on+skunk+cannabis+butchered+a+grandmother/article.do)

A teenager who was crazed by high-strength cannabis butchered a grandmother after 'voices in his head' told him to stab a woman.

Ezekiel Maxwell, a paranoid schizophrenic, launched the horrific attack after years of smoking super-strength 'skunk weed'.

The 17-year-old claimed 'gangster voices' from the ultra-violent computer game Grand Theft Auto had set him on a mission to stab a black woman.

He is the second teenage cannabis addict in a month to be found guilty of killing others after smoking the substance. Thomas Palmer, 18, was jailed for life for murdering his two friends with a hunting knife near their homes in Wokingham, Berkshire.

Maxwell prowled the streets with a kitchen knife until he came across Carmelita Tulloch

Maxwell prowled the streets with a kitchen knife until he came across Carmelita Tulloch as she walked to her job at a photocopying firm.

He stabbed her seven times, leaving her to die in a pool of blood as he fled home to his family. The case highlights the dangers of the highly potent 'skunk'.

The number of under-18s treated for smoking the drug has doubled to nearly 10,000 in a year and medical experts said the link between it and mental health problems is now impossible to ignore.

Maxwell attacked 51-year-old Mrs Tulloch on September 5 last year after a night smoking skunk and playing Grand Theft Auto.

He believed he was one of the principal characters called Carl Johnson, who carries a knife in the Playstation game, Croydon Crown Court was told.

Judge Warwick McKinnon said it was "a vile and quite senseless killing of an entirely innocent woman".

Simon Denison, prosecuting, told the court: "Maxwell had been planning to stab a woman for seven days, it had to be a black Afro-Caribbean woman. He didn't know why he had done it, he just had to do it."

"He described the voices as taking over his thoughts and his body. They made him do things like cut his hair so he looked more like a gangster.

"Maxwell said in the months before the killing he was playing Grand Theft Auto to the exclusion of anything else.

"He had smoked cannabis the night before, he took a knife from the kitchen and went out to stab someone. After he stabbed Mrs Tulloch he ran home and told his mother what he had done.

"The psychiatric assessment is that he is a great risk to others and will be for many years."

Maxwell lived 500 yards away from Mrs Tulloch on the same housing estate in Kennington, South London. He attacked her within five minutes walk of her home.

The youngster started smoking cannabis and skunk as well as taking cocaine at 14. He had previously been given cautions for possessing cannabis and has two convictions for mugging and assault.

Maxwell said he started hearing voices after smoking the drug and was referred to a psychiatric team by his GP in June last year.

He was prescribed anti-psychotic drugs and his case was reviewed four times. It was due to be considered again the day after he attacked Mrs Tulloch.

Instead, Maxwell went to a police station with his uncle and solicitor and handed himself in. He told officers: "I am given medication for my head and eyes, I don't know why I have been told to take this medication. I have not taken it for two weeks.

"On September 4 I played Grand Theft Auto until late. When I got up I felt a bit unhappy and aggressive. "I went out of the house at about 10am."

"I have a knife with me. I didn't know why I had a knife, I saw a woman, I stabbed her with the knife, I stabbed her three times, there was a lot of blood. After I stabbed the woman I ran home."

Inspiration: Maxwell was obsessed with violent computer game Grand Theft Auto

Maxwell has since been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Yesterday he was detained indefinitely under the Mental Health Act after pleading guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Paul Jenkins, chief executive of mental health charity Rethink, said: 'While there can be several triggers for mental illness, we know that if used by people under 18, cannabis doubles the risk of psychosis.

Professor John Henry, a clinical toxicologist, said: "People are beginning to realise that cannabis is not the puff and relax substance that people used to use."

Studies show there is an increased instance of schizophrenia in cannabis users, in some people as much as a ten-Marjorie Wallace, Chief Executive of mental health charity SANE, said: "This has all the hallmarks of similar stories where a paranoid schizophrenic has not taken medication but has used cannabis.

"Cannabis, especially skunk, can act as a trigger to psychotic relapse in which someone may lose touch with reality and become a serious risk to himself and others.

"We expect the inquiry into this case will reveal the same faultlines underlying many of the 55 homicides involving mental illness each year."

Mrs Tulloch, a receptionist, was married to Prince, 42, and had two adult daughters, Claudia and Andrea, from a previous marriage and a threeyearold granddaughter called Tianna.

Her sister Carol Smith said: "Someone has to take responsibility, how can he commit a crime like that and no one is responsible?

"There need to be regular check-ups for people like him."

Triv1um
April 5th, 2007, 11:59
These stories are starting to get old now.

Its just a excuse.

eatnooM
April 5th, 2007, 12:19
Anything violent mixed with people who can't distiguish between reality and fiction isn't going to end well, it just so happens that video games are intensely popular, GTA especially.

jammet
April 5th, 2007, 12:24
Thomson will be all over this, like a vulture, no doubt. Yet another raving lunatic he can use as an excuse to go after Take Two. Even though it is absolutely clear that this guy was mentally broken and on drugs since he was 14.

There are plenty mentally sick people who will break and go on a killing spree for any given reason, or none at all. That's the sad truth, it doesn't need a game, a movie or a rock band to get them started.

My point is, do not blame the game. Blame those people, for crying out loud.

Spotfist
April 5th, 2007, 12:55
I totally agree with the last sentance, people like this need to have more attention than what is usually given but the reason why there is not alot of help I would say is down to the amount of people who end up this bad. if only a REALLY small percentage end up killing in the end ie .01% then it would be hard to tell who needs the special attention and who doesn't...

I have had previouse experience with people of this tnature and it can be really hard to point them in the right direction but what makes it even worse are that most parents are too busy or just don't have any thought as to what there children are doing. Of course all the blame can't be put on them but in this example I really do ask myself, where were the parents, surely they must have known that there son had problems...?

I certainly don't think that a single game can be blamed for this behavier hell Im even tempted to say that it's not down to the drugs but instead the way in which the games where played and perhaps the amount of drugs used, for one the guy wasn't even taking his medication?!?! what the hell is that all about?? :confused:

emuking
April 5th, 2007, 13:12
so that crazy person, no psycho used gta as an excuse for being crazy, hmm im going to rob a bank tomorrow and blame it on gta too cause you know games talk to crazy people (tightens noose) j/k but you get my point

jimjamjahaa
April 5th, 2007, 13:30
he smokes weed!!!
hes mentally unstable
he plays grand theft auto!!!

goity
April 5th, 2007, 13:42
How the hell can this be blamed on video games?
I bet it'll turn out he never played the game, just like pretty much every other case.

John Doe 696
April 5th, 2007, 13:58
Blame the weed,blame the game,blame society for not caring,but god forbid we should blame the murderer!

Mr. Shizzy
April 5th, 2007, 13:58
This is bull$hit :(
IMHO, the kid was a nut case to begin with.
GTA & Weed told him to do it?

Try, this: He was doing dangerous drugs like cocaine. And he is a schitzo, who wasn't taking his meds...

He would have eventually snapped, and harmed somebody regardless of weed or video games :(

EDIT: Besides, any normal person who smokes weed, is far too lazy to go stab someone anyway. ;) LOL

ORGAN
April 5th, 2007, 14:06
How can one single effect of somthing like weed be the major factor in this happening it is an awful event to have a life taken but to said because of smoke, he has used cocaine and I'm sure that is not the only drug he used..how about the fact he did not take his medication for days before he wacked out? You would think they would look at that instead of something stupid as weed. What about the people w/cancer that smoke to be able to keep food down and their strength up bacause kimo-thearpy takes such a toll on their boddies, or all the patients that are given weed for glocomma even aids so isnt smoking weed allowing more to live peaceful and painless more important than someone not taking his medication, where are the parents in the why werent they keeping better track of their son and his meds, think that may be an issue that should be looked at. games are rated and maybe the parents should of looked at what thier son was doing and wondering if this is something their son should be playing with his mental problems, you cannot just pick one thing and say "so be it" thats the cause.., there is a larger picture here and no one seems to addrressing it.

IM back!
April 5th, 2007, 14:28
weed, cocaine, gta, murdur. this guy was deep

Cap'n 1time
April 5th, 2007, 16:04
hmm. Weed doesnt trigger violent behavior... I dont know anything about this cannabis (skunk) though. I suppose something like that, in addition to being a psycho bast to begin with might, however, cause you to go on a killing spree. I dont see why a game that got him all strung up such as Grand Theft Auto MAY have helped to trigger the reaction... but let's face it... He was just crazy and ****ed up on some very potent stuff. GTA or not, these guys are not someone I want to be around.

NoQuarter
April 5th, 2007, 16:04
It had to be the weed man,
Anybody know where he got his stuff?Cause I'd sure like to score a bag of that!
Psycho...

pspfreefiles
April 5th, 2007, 16:09
I bet he thought he was playing GTA in his head but he didn't actually have the tv on

Shadowblind
April 5th, 2007, 17:37
he smokes weed!!!
hes mentally unstable
he plays grand theft auto!!!

The 3 worst things that can happane to a person, boldest as the worst.

Basil Zero
April 5th, 2007, 18:04
Didnt the story mention drugs?

SO blame the drugs..sheez...

fistikuffs
April 5th, 2007, 18:39
What a surprisingly bad and dangerous article. Its like some really bad propaganda from 100 years ago.

The article casually brushes aside the facts that the kid was a diagnosed schizophrenic with a history of violence and cocaine use with previous convictions for violent offences. Crucially it only gives a brief mention to the fact that this previously violent schizophrenic had volunatarily chosen not to take his medication which i suspect would be a huge factor in the murder. The compulsive weed and GTA use are more likely symptoms of this guy's issues rather than the cause.

This is some of the worst kind of smut tabloid innuendo journalisim that I have read in a while and I'm at a loss to explain why it was given any consideration for posting here nevermind frontpage.
If you re read it the article you can see its more of an anti weed piece than anti gaming.

nino
April 5th, 2007, 19:03
i have been smoking the strongest weed in the world (i know it is, cuz i'm from holland) for about 7 years now and i'm still a loving and caring person, even though i like to play gta. people only become psychos because of weed, if they have no good world-perspective_before they begin smoking these herbs. people like this often suffer from paranoid thoughts, because they can't tell the difference between what they hear and what they think. i know some guys who have these problems and they are very controllable and instable. so if you want to smoke weed, take my advice: don't use too much if it is your first time. always keep track of what you are doing. and for those who hear voices in their heads, stay of the SKUNK it f#cks you up!

kam30en
April 5th, 2007, 19:07
Tnb

nal
April 5th, 2007, 20:18
So am I the only one who noticed he was on coke also not just weed? So what they are saying is weed makes ya violent but coke is just dandy? Shouldn't they be more concered with his coke addiction than his weed one?

F9zDark
April 5th, 2007, 22:20
First off, why was the kid smoking weed when he's a schizo? Thats just begging for trouble...

Secondly, he had perhaps the most horrendous mental illness seen period. No matter what he did prior to the murder is irrelevant. Schizophrenics hear voices and experience other auditory hallucinations all the time as well as delusional thinking. He may not have ever played GTA before the murder, but believed he did...

If the media gets in an uproar about this, I will be really pissed off, because frankly, its disgusting. This kid should not get 'diminished responsibility' because he is mentally unstable, nor should the media or any other party consider GTA, which is irrelevant, as a factor in the murder.

So am I the only one who noticed he was on coke also not just weed? So what they are saying is weed makes ya violent but coke is just dandy? Shouldn't they be more concered with his coke addiction than his weed one?

He was on coke too??!! :eek:

Wow... Really, those are perhaps the two worst drugs anyone who is mentally unstable can take... What's funny is, games are the ones that will be blamed for this, not bad parenting, not drug abuse, and certainly not his mental illness; even though his illness will keep him out of prison...

chrono75
April 5th, 2007, 23:38
Sheeeit - blame it on the weed and GTA why don't 'ya. Ha, skunk weed is the mountain/hillbilly cronic, but if someone smokes enough weed like was stated about, (this guy smoked alot of pot or something,) then he should have been able to control himself, and the cocaine he supposedly was taking was probably the main reason this happened and if not, it's his own ****3D mind that is to blame. That dude was just caught up in his own mess and wanted to lash out, it's just too bad an innocent was caught in the crossfire. Kids, say NO to drugs!!

Buddy4point0
April 6th, 2007, 00:14
such an excusses and its pointless.
lol the vido game made me do it

MicroNut
April 6th, 2007, 02:05
This guy has chemical imbalance problems beyond anything else.

Giving him street drugs is like throwing gasoline on a fire.
Skunk, Chronic, whatever you want to call it, its not dangerous... its "maddness" lol

He should be locked up on the flight deck and given plenty of happy feet medicine.

...and banned from playing video games, unless its E.T. on the Atari2600

afxisatwin
April 6th, 2007, 05:42
This guy has chemical imbalance problems beyond anything else.

Giving him street drugs is like throwing gasoline on a fire.
Skunk, Chronic, whatever you want to call it, its not dangerous... its "maddness" lol

He should be locked up on the flight deck and given plenty of happy feet medicine.

...and banned from playing video games, unless its E.T. on the Atari2600

Then we would be reading a story about how ET made some paranoid schizo kid jump down a hole and starve to death after the coke wore out because he was on a mission to get dorritos to make an anti government signal foil hat after he ate them to quench his weed induced hunger.

MicroNut
April 6th, 2007, 07:21
Then we would be reading a story about how ET made some paranoid schizo kid jump down a hole and starve to death after the coke wore out because he was on a mission to get dorritos to make an anti government signal foil hat after he ate them to quench his weed induced hunger.

lol

Ok... banned from video games for life or at least until he completes a rehab program and gets mental help.

I was thinking that anyone playing that game would be forced to hate video games.
Then it again it would force me to kill.

I think that all this has little to do with video games.

It’s about the published detailed destruction of one person’s whacked out life.
And the senseless death of an innocent person.
A sad thing… would you want your life’s miseries front page news?

nal
April 6th, 2007, 10:24
I just hate how they make weed to be sooooooo bad. I know many of people who smoke it and none went on a killing spree or anything like that....though none realy leave the sofa..

mattsw
April 6th, 2007, 16:29
I just hate how they make weed to be sooooooo bad. I know many of people who smoke it and none went on a killing spree or anything like that....though none realy leave the sofa..

I'm sorry, but that's a totally ridiculous thing to say. To be blunt, you're an idiot if you 'get into' drugs ( I'm not saying "No, don't ever touch the stuff! EVER!", more if it becomes a habit at the least) so please, can we leave out stupid posts like "Don't blame the drugs!!", especially seeing as if what he claims is actually true, the drugs caused him to become mentally ill in the first place.

devdj
April 6th, 2007, 17:10
this guy sounds like he just ripped off American Psycho the movie cause the killer in that always used coke.

Don't be a boner, be a stoner.

nal
April 7th, 2007, 08:24
I say to each his own on drugs if they wanna do em do em its your body do with it as you wish. But to blame drugs or a game on a chemical imbalance is stupid.

Speediakal
April 7th, 2007, 21:16
Skunk weed is strong, especially if its premium quality. they cause hallucinations and thats probably when he heard the voices, and with GTA in his mind, he thought that GTA was probably real or something and thought he was on a mission or something.

Kid was schizo too

joshisposer
April 7th, 2007, 23:02
That's funny, i like skunk but i don't hear voices...
I guess i need to smoke more... j/k

F9zDark
April 8th, 2007, 01:22
Schizophrenia is a for-life illness as of yet with current medical and psychology techniques. If this kid has schizophrenia and felt compelled to murder someone because of things he heard, then he needs to be removed from society.

Blaming drugs (well, blaming weed... coke is another matter) and games is just stupid. Drugs are not for everyone, nor should they be taken when one has a serious mental illness.

This kid was just begging for trouble and while coke may have had a hand in this murder, weed and games certainly played no role whatsoever.

Why do I say not to blame weed? Well, how many people smoke weed then murder someone? I have not heard of any case where this has happened. Why? Because for the most part, weed causes one to lose motivation and just sit there and enjoy. Obviously this is on a per-person basis and is different for everyone.

Now coke, being a stimulant would have certainly motivated him to do anything. Coupled with the fact that some stimulants can cause anxiety for those who suffer from it (one of schizophrenia's symptoms is anxiety). He may have heard the voices and become afraid for his life if he did not listen...

Then again, this all boils down to (once again) his mental state.

BL4Z3D247
April 9th, 2007, 06:19
This is bull$hit :(
IMHO, the kid was a nut case to begin with.
GTA & Weed told him to do it?

Try, this: He was doing dangerous drugs like cocaine. And he is a schitzo, who wasn't taking his meds...

He would have eventually snapped, and harmed somebody regardless of weed or video games :(

EDIT: Besides, any normal person who smokes weed, is far too lazy to go stab someone anyway. ;) LOL
amen to that bro, i've smoked skunk before and let me tell you i didn't feel like getting up from my car seat and stabbing someone, i was just to blazed to do anything...so this dude was just crazy, voices in his head :rofl: give me a break