PDA

View Full Version : Make All Systems Region Free and Import Friendly

wraggster
April 5th, 2007, 12:15
Since the death of Lik Sang last year it is now virtually impossible to import games into the UK and Europe from companies like Play Asia, Play Asia are obviously scared of lawsuits from Sony for selling PSP & PS3 games to the UK after Sony went after UK firms and eventually claimed the scalp of Lik Sang who were easily the biggest importer of games and consoles worldwide.

I suppose you can understand Sonys point that hardware brought from Japan may not work or with stepdown power issues not last long but people who import know this anyway. But with systems like the PSP, Nintendo DS and Playstation 3 all being region free systems it seems stupid that we cant buy games (and consoles) from anywhere in the world.

Also in this day and age of technology its mad that any system is not region free, the PSP, PS3, Nintendo DS are all region free and all selling extremely well, even the Xbox 360 is region free on some games.

Come on people lets show that the Gaming Public want Region Free and the ability to buy games and consoles from anywhere.

Give your views via Comments

Help DIGG THIS and get everyone to respond to this issue

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Make_All_Systems_Region_Free_and_Import_Friendly

kaffie
April 5th, 2007, 13:04
Because Importing is shifting from a minority to a mainstream activity it is eroding the usual revenue stream of these companies.

The consumer wishes to take advantage of advantageous buying strategies while a company wishes to limit, retain control and milk that cash cow some more.

However, I think we are moving into "region free" as its much the same as globalization as a concept. We see it in TV already in how little time it now takes to see a US show in the UK. Companies were forced into doing this as the globalised Internet allowed the consumer the ability to not wait AT ALL.

The more console companies limit the consumer the more it will damage the company in the long term. Why should I wait 6 months for a game to arrive in the UK from the states when we all know there are alternatives such as Importing and Piracy. Remove importing as an avenue and guess what happens.

Companies will slowly catch up once they realise that the ultimate bottom line is being damaged...I hope

Graxer0419
April 5th, 2007, 14:00
There is a petition for this on the 10 Downing Street website. You can sign it here:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RegionFreeMedia/

It seems quite popular! :D

The only thing is you need to be British to sign this!

JKKDARK
April 5th, 2007, 14:44
online petitions don't work

Tolin
April 5th, 2007, 14:58
This just brings up an interesting point - I doubt it's a new one, because there are more intelligent people than I out there. :D

I've been wanting them to standardize [American] things for a while, especially from a game development standpoint. How neat would it be to have Japanese, European and American (and any other) studios working in tandem to localize scripts, record voice sessions where applicable, and raise concerns over content for their region. It may extend the development process by a few months, but if done well it could do quite well. A game released with several language tracks and several subtitle tracks, as well as a selectable menu language - it would be really neat.

I figure this kind of cross-continental development process would eliminate the need to release several different versions of a game by being able to release one version worldwide... of course, this doesn't address the different power system in the UK and I'm not sure how that all works technically so... it would lessen the necessity for importing on some big name titles and if there wasn't a market for a game it could still be imported but could be tagged as a 'For The European Market Only' or some equivalent. The logistical nightmare of actually coordinating this tandem approach would be kind of scary...

edit: I'll disagree -slightly- JKKDARK ... Online petitions can work, and have to a very limited degree - the most recent is Bioshock 3, with the developer openly stating that if they got a certain number of signatures they would release a special edition alongside the standard. One closer to my heart would be the Silver Lining - or the KQIX project if you'd prefer - where there was a Cease and Desist order offered to the developers but due to fan based uproar and some good luck Vivendi listened and let development continue. I'll agree, though, that they almost never work... the Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and FM2+ will probably never see US shores, and that's sad. Stack that on top of the countless other petitions out there and it looks quite bleak...

Graxer0419
April 5th, 2007, 15:28
online petitions don't work

I have signed petitions on the 10 Downing Street website before that have been sucessful. :D The good thing about this petition site is that it is government run, and it is the government that can make a difference. :)

Oh, and the main petition that I signed that was sucessful was to legalise making backups of music for your own personal use if anyone is wondering.

I personally find it a good petition site, but anyone is free to make their own decisions about online petitions.

okoshima
April 5th, 2007, 15:30
i still have a lik sang sticker in my wallet. But i agree if there is no need to import we wont import (goin for a all world release date not a 12 month wait) bored now.

PSmonkey
April 5th, 2007, 16:41
Not to comment too far into this but I wish people would stop crying over lik-sang. There are many import shops willing to ship to the UK. Hell my favorite site not only ships globaly, but ALSO IS CHEAPER THEN LIK-SANG EVER WAS!!!

While in the old days lik-sang was a great site, It's former self over the last 2 years before closing were nothing more then an empty shell.

Buy from Buygame2.com if you want better prices and global shipping. I've bought everything from psp games to my japanese 360.

quzar
April 5th, 2007, 17:23
There are many GOOD reasons why video games (as well as movies) are not region free.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=173355&highlight=region#post173355 That is a post I made the last time THIS EXACT THREAD was made.

Basil Zero
April 5th, 2007, 18:01
Umm.....stores like Fry's Electronics import games, thats how I am playing Breath of Fire III here in the US.

jolidesignuk
April 5th, 2007, 18:33
The only reason companies like Sony prosecute companies for importing games and hardware is money.

Someone in the UK can import a ps3 from play asia for $599 (£306.70) or buy an extortionate one from game.co.uk for £424.99.

Thats the only reason, because you save so much money by importing and having games/consoles months before a UK launch.

Demolition49
April 5th, 2007, 18:43
IT makes no sense to stop it all it does if give them more customers.

goity
April 5th, 2007, 19:37
There are many GOOD reasons why video games (as well as movies) are not region free.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=173355&highlight=region#post173355 That is a post I made the last time THIS EXACT THREAD was made.
That's rubbish; so by your views there should be no such thing as homebrew because it hasn't been rated?

quzar
April 5th, 2007, 20:29
That's rubbish; so by your views there should be no such thing as homebrew because it hasn't been rated?

o_O Where did I say anything like that? Homebrew, not being sold in brick+mortar stores, not being advertised, have no worries with region-ness in that sense.

I listed many other reasons, I simply only gave an example of one of them.

brunobelo
April 6th, 2007, 02:45
I'll never forget about this text by Maddox:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit

:-D

Emulation_Chief
April 6th, 2007, 05:32
Hello:

Since the Internet allows us access to importing, The gaming world changes. Who doesn't want to acquire a certain game before anyone else? Even more, Who don't want to acquire that only-release-in-x-country game to their respective homes and become the envy of your gaming community?

Economically, Region-Free games will reduce the process of recoding the game to other territories, standarizing procedures and increasing the number of games available, due to more personel working on many projects instead of one for many regions.

Restricting the globalization of video game distribution and availability will increase the number of people preparing modchips and other ways to run imported - and pirated - software. It is time that the companies (read Nintendo) that console gaming will become completely region free. Global sales will shoot dramatically if it happens that way.

InsideOutAsshole
April 6th, 2007, 07:38
It is time that the companies (read Nintendo) that console gaming will become completely region free. Global sales will shoot dramatically if it happens that way.

Because the imports for Nintendo DS games have increased profits for Nintendo enormously, right?

Maybe you should learn how businesses work before you start stating your wishes as fact.

ish420ism
April 6th, 2007, 08:37
It seem whoever made it difficult to import, less expensive goods, is not done sticking it to you. I hate those people controlling, directing the markets towards greed:mad:

quzar
April 6th, 2007, 12:39
It seem whoever made it difficult to import, less expensive goods, is not done sticking it to you. I hate those people controlling, directing the markets towards greed:mad:

Would you rather more and more (*insert the name of a group of citizenes of your country here*) not be able to get jobs because the entire production market of (*your country*) collapses because they can't possible compete with (*country X*) that does not believe in child labor laws, or in their citizens NOT starving in order to get a higher GNP?

There are VERY good reasons for import/export tariffs and laws, and without them many first world country's economies would not be sustainable.

Of course it wouldn't be a drastic change, but imagine if we had totally free trade in the US. Imagine how many jobs would be lost because of how much cheaper it would be to have (*Product X*) imported from China or Malaysia than to have it made here (this is already the case so often, but with absolutely no import/export restrictions, it would be just that much cheaper).

Global economy isn't going to let itself collapse just so you can play your Japanese import rpg that never made it to the states for a bit cheaper.