PDA

View Full Version : PS3-Wii gap narrowing, still a battle though

Shrygue
April 5th, 2007, 20:13
via PS3 Fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/04/05/wii-ps3-gap-narrowing-still-a-battle-though/)

Famitsu publisher Enterbrain decided to toss out some numbers regarding the PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo Wii. Seems the Wii is outselling the PS3 by two to one in Japan. Now, now, put those jeers and stabbing comments away, ladies and gents. Two to one... in Japan. Japan, where the Wii is incredibly huge. Just two to one. Monetarily, the two are on equal grounds. Numerically, it's double. The gap used to be much, much larger -- slightly beyond the four to one ratio by the end of January.

Does this mean the fad for the Wii is dying down? Or that the PS3 is picking up sales? We can't say that "everyone already has a Wii now" because look at the sales of the Nintendo DS -- always on top of the sales charts. Maybe Nintendo is severely limiting supply. Whatever the case, it's good to know that the gap is narrowing and as more games come out for both systems, we'll see a much tighter struggle for market power in Japan.

eazy-e
April 5th, 2007, 21:05
sony is catching up

paul1991
April 6th, 2007, 17:03
Maybe. I doubt that the ps3 will sell many more after the Hardcore Lamers buy it.

The wii has staying power.
The ps3 is just a ps2 with HD cables. Think about it. Is it possible the have a PS2 harddrive? Yes.
Can you get HD PS2 cables? Yes.
Do you have to sell you car to buy a Wii? no.

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 17:14
in 20 years when your all strapping on boots, gloves, and a helmet to play a game you will all be thinking "thank you nintendo!!"

they opened the door to different control methods with the ds and then kicked it in with the wii.

honestly after playing a shooter on wii you dont wanna go back. thats even with the crappy shooters wii has so far!! when we get online HOLY CRAP!

no more kiddie persona too guys! scarface, manhunt, godfather yay! combine that crazy disembodying fun with super paper mario and you've got yourself a ps3-killer hahahaha

April 6th, 2007, 17:19
in 20 years when your all strapping on boots, gloves, and a helmet to play a game you will all be thinking "thank you nintendo!!"

I'll be thinking 'what the ѕhit is the point of all this', then go play some Playstation 6 :)

potatoman
April 6th, 2007, 17:29
well said 808. And btw, wii online will never beat live or PSN. and i know that without seeing it. Oh wait... no one has seen it yet have they? lol.
and i didnt have to sell my car to buy one either, i got it for 300 pounds with 2 games and 2 controllers. Bargain!
Add me as a friend on PSN! my name is B00STER123, in honour of the man who inspired me to start programming, b00ster.
btw there is 2 zeroes instead of o's.

F9zDark
April 6th, 2007, 18:15

Nintendo is not responsible for VR technology and their shitty control method will not ascend to that either.

If VR games ever hit the market, we'll be thanking the likes of Lockheed Martin or Boeing or NASA. Hell even Hollywood would be more deserving of credit for VR tech than Nintendo ever would.

And in 20 years, who is to say Nintendo will even be around? Kids are growing up faster than ever thanks to the internet. There will come a time when Nintendo's for kids marketing strategy and for games only strategy will fail. Especially in the home of the future...

Maybe. I doubt that the ps3 will sell many more after the Hardcore Lamers buy it.

The wii has staying power.
The ps3 is just a ps2 with HD cables. Think about it. Is it possible the have a PS2 harddrive? Yes.
Can you get HD PS2 cables? Yes.
Do you have to sell you car to buy a Wii? no.

HAHAH. Thats hilarious bro. Funny how you take the TRUTH about the Wii (the fact that its a Gamecube 1.5... NOT EVEN A Gamecube 2 but 1.5....) and slate that about the PS3. The PS3 is 10x more powerful than the PS2.

The Wii is not even twice as powerful as the Gamecube... 729 MHz clockspeed of the Wii and 485 MHz clockspeed of the Gamecube...

The staying power is also bullshit; the Wii does not have staying power whatsoever, as it wasn't designed for the future. It was designed for the past, judging from the technology it uses. Gameplay is important to alot of people, and Nintendo hopes for this, but graphics are just as important and in the next 5 years I suspect a majority of homes will be outfitted with HD tvs, which the Wii cannot make use of. And seeing how SD things look like absolute shit on HD, the death of the Wii will come the instant HD-tvs are fully adopted by the public.

Thats what happens when you don't FutureProof your consoles.

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 18:22
ok im not saying that nintendo made make vr. never said that... what i DID say was that nintendo has opened the door to it. the ds and the wii are the first steps in that direction that have reached the mass market and received acceptance.

F9zDark
April 6th, 2007, 19:06
The PS3 has motion sensing as well, that shouldn't be excluded. Especially since its method works without flaw.

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 19:20
The PS3 has motion sensing as well, that shouldn't be excluded. Especially since its method works without flaw.

umm the wii's motion sensing doesnt work without flaw? um right ok then. ive had mine for wuite a while now and every issue ive had has been me doing something stupid/wrong.

yeah great the ps3 is powerful fantastic. yeah it has rip-off motion control woopdeedoo. heres the catch: the majority of gamers are "casual". casual gamers wont pay $600 for something they see as a game system.

honestly the ps3 may be better. who cares. its too much cash buddy.

all i know is im having more FUN with the wii than i have since playing mega-man on the snes so many years ago. its about FUN not how much horsepower it has.

EDIT: do you really think that people will trash their wii because its not hi-def? "oh man its not clear enough...."*trash can* honestly, if your breaking point is graphics not being crystal clear you may need therapy.

nomi
April 6th, 2007, 19:31
It depends on what person you talk about...
like for me, i need hi def graphics to play and the WII, as ive seen, has shitty graphics. i wont be bying that. i need the graphics so ps3 is it for me. but for some people wii would be better cause they like the "fun" factor more. For me the "fun" factor is in Hi def racers or FPS or third person. i juss cant have fun with bad ass graphics.

April 6th, 2007, 19:31
yeah great the ps3 is powerful fantastic. yeah it has rip-off motion control woopdeedoo.

It's nothing like the Wii, so its not a rip-off

heres the catch: the majority of gamers are "casual". casual gamers wont pay $600 for something they see as a game system.

Here's the catch: Most of the casual gamers see Nintendo as "kiddie" and see the Playstation brand more orientated towards them, a more mature audience

all i know is im having more FUN with the wii than i have since playing mega-man on the snes so many years ago. its about FUN not how much horsepower it has.

I'm having fun playing Motorstorm, Resistance, Tekken, Gran Turismo HD and there's plenty more to come

do you really think that people will trash their wii because its not hi-def? "oh man its not clear enough...."*trash can* honestly, if your breaking point is graphics not being crystal clear you may need therapy.

Yes graphics aren't important lets all go back to 2D, actually, lets all go back to text based games, as long as its FUN! Shut the hell up

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 20:05
It's nothing like the Wii, so its not a rip-off

um how do you figure?

Here's the catch: Most of the casual gamers see Nintendo as "kiddie" and see the Playstation brand more orientated towards them, a more mature audience

um most casual gamers WONT SPEND $600 PERIOD. perceptions or no its too much for the majority.

I'm having fun playing Motorstorm, Resistance, Tekken, Gran Turismo HD and there's plenty more to come

ok great.

Yes graphics aren't important lets all go back to 2D, actually, lets all go back to text based games, as long as its FUN! Shut the hell up

um wow. that was a bit rude eh? your telling me you'd rather play a game that was beautiful but not fun over something not as beautiful but fun?

to each his own i guess... some people play games because they're fun, some play cause they're pretty...

tactful mcbee
April 6th, 2007, 20:08
to each his own i guess... some people play games because they're fun, some play cause they're pretty...

seriously go to a museum

muffinman
April 6th, 2007, 21:05
Hey i ditched my wii for a ps3 :P

After i completed zelda it only came out for a bit of wii sports. oh the joy and look at all the titles i have to look forward to next year on the wii.

seriously people say the ps3 has no games , what has the wii got?

long and short of it, Icould have kept it, but i prefered the extra cash.

F9zDark
April 6th, 2007, 22:19
umm the wii's motion sensing doesnt work without flaw? um right ok then. ive had mine for wuite a while now and every issue ive had has been me doing something stupid/wrong.

yeah great the ps3 is powerful fantastic. yeah it has rip-off motion control woopdeedoo. heres the catch: the majority of gamers are "casual". casual gamers wont pay $600 for something they see as a game system.

honestly the ps3 may be better. who cares. its too much cash buddy.

EDIT: do you really think that people will trash their wii because its not hi-def? "oh man its not clear enough...."*trash can* honestly, if your breaking point is graphics not being crystal clear you may need therapy.

First off, the Wii using Infrared for its Wii-mote, makes that as ancient as the technology within it. It doesn't work all the time and I have invested countless hours playing it at my friend's house. Both of my friends who own the Wii complain about the read issues.

You're opinion is flawed in that you will state anything that goes against the PS3; fact is, Sony never 'stole' anything. Its called competition. Sony's method of motion sensing is also more advanced than the Wii, using sensors on the controller to determine how it occupies 3d space and relate that information to the console.

Graphics aren't everything, as I said, but standard definition looks like shit on high definition tvs. And when you see it for yourself you will regret buying the Wii.

Oh and do continue with the insults, when I have not insulted you whatsoever. It only makes your points less valid.