PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo to offer USB storage solution soon?

Shrygue
April 5th, 2007, 20:44
via Nintendo Wii Fanboy (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/04/05/nintendo-to-offer-usb-storage-solution-soon/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.nintendowiifanboy.com/media/2007/04/wii_usb_slots_sm.jpg

eSOL, a company that offers engineering solutions for companies that look to outsource that stuff, have just announced that Nintendo is using their "PrFILE2" FAT file system and "PrUSB/Host" USB host stack middleware products. What does this mean for us? Well, it could mean plenty of things.

First of all, each technology allows for a different aspect of the Wii to be utilized. The company's "PrFILE2" file system provides "file management functions which read and write data of theSD memory card, as well as other media." This could mean any number of things; Nintendo could even see eSOL's middleware tech as allowing faster read and write speeds to the SD card slot on the Wii. Nintendo could also have plans for using the file system as apart of a future add-on for the system. Really, speculation is the only thing to reign here.

eSOL's "PrUSB" USB Host stack is where we think this story gets more interesting. In adding their tech for more USB functionality in the Wii, it's possible Nintendo could be looking to issue their own USB HDDs down the road. Or, they could have ideas for other peripherals. Again, speculation is the name of the game here.

Finally, our hopes and dreams of Nintendo performing a system update on everyone's Wii, allowing for support of third-party USB HDDs, gain some more credibility. What else would Nintendo be acquiring eSOL's USB tech for? Certainly this is the most far-fetched idea of ours, as if anyone is going to make a profit on adding the functionality for USB HDD support on the Wii, it's going to be Nintendo.

Leave feedback via comments.

bmemike
April 5th, 2007, 21:05
I don't think that Nintendo will offer 3rd party support for USB hard drives. It makes sense for them to open up certain avenues for accessories, but things like HDDs are big ticket items that N wants to get all the profit from.

Beyond that, we're not going to have any need for an external HDD until we get a host of online-capable games and downloadable content (be them demos, 3rd party d/l games, whatever). So N will put a clamp down on this as long as they can if for no other reason than to keep one more potential tool out of the hands of pirates.

I think we'll see an external HDD, but my guess is that it'll only be available through Nintendo (see the XBox HDD) and it'll only come after we see many people complaining that they've maxed out their internal memory.

lexluthor
April 5th, 2007, 23:26
I reckong we could see a Nintendo HDD maybe a year or two down the line. As peoples consoles fill up with VC games and (more importantly) new downloadable games (ie. not on the VC), Nintendo might finally decide there is a need.

ganonbanned
April 5th, 2007, 23:36
I agree w/ bmemike.

masterpaul
April 6th, 2007, 10:32
I hope its going to be built-in a stand.