PDA

View Full Version : HP has gaming handheld in the works

wraggster
April 6th, 2007, 00:04
via cnn (http://news.com.com/2061-10797_3-6173467.html)

Hewlett-Packard is working on a gaming handheld that could let players use their surroundings as a backdrop for an immersive game.

The company unveiled a commercial for "Mscape," its gaming prototype, that featured a number of young hipster gamers roaming San Francisco while playing a game on Mscape that used cues from their environment as triggers to unlock new levels or bonuses. "We want to get kids off the couch," Rahul Sood, chief technology officer of HP's gaming division, said during a presentation here.

Details were sketchy, but HP appears to be taking a cue from the response to Nintendo's Wii gaming console, which is built around a motion sensor in the controller. Mscape is definitely still a prototype, but Sood said he's "really pleased with our progress so far." The taglines for the gaming handheld? "Your world is the playing field. Get in the game."

UPDATED--Sood was far cagier about HP's own plans for such a handheld in an interview after the presentation, but the company is developing the basic technology that would allow handhelds to turn into gaming devices, and hopes to license it far and wide, he said.

HP Labs has been working on the Mscape technology for about two years, said Patrick Goddi, a company researcher in Palo Alto, Calif. It's the underlying layer that game developers could use to take advantage of sensors like GPS (global positioning system) or accelerometers like the ones in the Wii controller, he said.

The early concept involves a handheld and a series of small sensors that a game organizer could lay out around a city or park. Those sensors would trigger certain events in the game, like a bonus level or an attack by the bad guys, based on a small demonstration of the concept here.

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 00:09
interesting.. wonder what it looks like

Buddy4point0
April 6th, 2007, 00:11
this sounds awsome!!!!!!
i cant wait, and im def gonna get 1

DarthPaul
April 6th, 2007, 00:55
Omg Hewlett Packard =S

samthegreat68
April 6th, 2007, 01:09
it sounds kinda sketchy.. you lay sensors around a park or somthing and walk around while you are playing a game?? sounds kinda whack to me.

IM back!
April 6th, 2007, 01:46
it sounds cool but it has to be done rigt.

Solidsnake3000
April 6th, 2007, 02:24
YO Whats with all this bs isnt 3.30 OE suppose to come out today

Basil Zero
April 6th, 2007, 02:49
WTH

HP?

LOLZ omg...........xbox portable....by hp....lol

Shilo
April 6th, 2007, 03:33
This thing will ether turn out awesome, or a major flop.

emuking
April 6th, 2007, 03:47
um major flop

pkmaximum
April 6th, 2007, 03:52
It will be decent if there smart and include 2 analog nubs lol

But even still I'll consider buying it if its homebrew friendly and the processor on it is pretty strong.

DarthPaul
April 6th, 2007, 03:53
YO Whats with all this bs isnt 3.30 OE suppose to come out today

It says 48 - 72 hours, so that's today or tomorrow.

Micky_c_dog
April 6th, 2007, 05:30
just stick the sensors next to you and wave the handheld around.
stuff that im to lazy

nibblemynutz
April 6th, 2007, 06:12
Lawl,

Hp handheld?

I smell total failure from the start.

If it were Dell, maybe.

Hp = Shit computers.

Even their best quality comps suck hot sick ass.

I take that back,

Hp may have a future with a game system for kids under 13.

ish420ism
April 6th, 2007, 07:36
Im not sure what this is but,
!!!!Imagine New Age LazerTag!!!! with real people. DeathMatch, Team etc. That's SO Futuristic. Anybody with this new handheld could detect all other users, and if close by, you would go search the other user out, and take the player out. only to realize... your the hunted. :eek:

Sounds like a movie:thumbup:
Oh shits, I think I smoked too much _________right:D now

pkmaximum
April 6th, 2007, 17:13
Lawl,

Hp handheld?

I smell total failure from the start.

If it were Dell, maybe.

Hp = Shit computers.

Even their best quality comps suck hot sick ass.

I take that back,

Hp may have a future with a game system for kids under 13.

Wow I really have no idea what you are talking about HP ranks extremeley high in customer satisfaction. And I own a Dell laptop, and a HP laptop I think HP is better through warrenty, quality, and price ranges. HP has always been a good standard computer company that charges at the right price. And recently I just baught my mother a Tablet PC from HP (very expensive) duel core 2.0 ghz in each core, 2 gigs of ram, 128 mb of video memory, touch screen (tablet duh). $4500 total cost. I'm always impressed with the quality of HP computers so I really don't agree with your statement.

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 17:18
yep i had an hp for a long time and never had any issues with it.

potatoman
April 6th, 2007, 17:40
depends, the old ones were pretty crappy, but im on a new "hp pavilion entertainment pc" laptop now with a 17 inch widescreen and this thing outpowers my custom made dell xps in everything but graphics and raw processing power! they are both less than 1 year old. i use the dell for programming and gaming and the hp for everything else!

ish420ism
April 6th, 2007, 19:23
A friend of mine got a HP P4, when it was new, a few years ago. and has outlasted my custom builds,
HP computer are well made and well priced. So are Compaq, even better price for similar quality

-Xandu-
April 6th, 2007, 20:21
It wouldn't be very popular as the PSP and the DS, HP aren't a gaming company..

joshisposer
April 6th, 2007, 21:49
sounds like collectic. That game was fun....but a little confusing