PDA

View Full Version : GCSX Source Code Released - Playstation Emulator for Nintendo Wii/Gamecube

yoshihiro
April 6th, 2007, 03:22
Hi all menbers of DCemu i release my source code because i've no time for finish it :( .

GCSX Based on my port of pcsx on PSP .

You need add your own DVD files sytem and GX suff .

i cant finish this port because i've no time but i've already port all plugins .
PAD , CD , GPU SOFT VIDEO and SPU NULL For GC .
i've fixed the memory swap too but i've never worked before on Big Endian CPU for
Converting 32Bit memory to 64Bit . so maybe you need to fixe something for the
memory check PsxMem.h and PsxMen.c , on PsxCommon.h you have already include for GC
i've already test it the Psx Hardware work . now if you have time play with this source.
for the GPU i've added the swap fonction from the pcsx for mac GPU source you need
just add your update video fonction in GcDraw.c in Dobufferswap() . all loading fonction
are on misc.c .

Good luck Guys if you need any help contact me via PM on Dcemu.co.uk forum.
official DEV of PCSX PC Version :
Write by :
Main Coder: linuzappz
Co-coders: shadow, Nocomp, Pete Bernett, nik3d ;

Greatz Of PCSX PC Version :

Duddie, Tratax, Kazzuya, JNS, Bobbi, Psychojak, Shunt
Keith, DarkWatcher, Xeven, Liquid, Dixon, Prafull"
Special thanks to:
Twin (we Love you twin0r), Roor (love for you too),
calb (Thanks for help :) ), now3d (for great help to my psxdev stuff :) ;

Peter for the GPU Soft plugin

Yoshihiro :)

Download Via Comments

- From wraggster

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/GCSX_Source_Released_Playstation_Emulator_for_Nint endo_Wii)

wraggster
April 6th, 2007, 09:35
lets hope someone can take this exciting project on :)

Zense
April 6th, 2007, 14:01
This seems amazing! I've never heard anything about playstation on gamecube, but I presume that this is ps1?

shiftybill
April 6th, 2007, 15:28
ps1 it is, and good luck to the programmer who will take this on! good luck to you :thumbup:

gunntims0103
April 6th, 2007, 16:14
Since you could run this on a wii, would the wii handle the homebrew with the specification for running hombrew on a GameCube? Or would you be able to write homebrew to work with the Wii's processing speed. Like clocking a PS1 emulator to 733mhz, which is the clock speed limit of the Wii.

It would make emulation development alot easier if it were written primarily for the Wii in theory.........

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 16:42
well as of now all wii-brew is in gamecube mode so i think your limited to what the cube was capable of although im not sure. anywho mhz doesnt make THAT big of a difference anyway and thats the only one that might be possible to do.

gunntims0103
April 6th, 2007, 16:46
well as of now all wii-brew is in gamecube mode so i think your limited to what the cube was capable of although im not sure. anywho mhz doesnt make THAT big of a difference anyway and thats the only one that might be possible to do.

hmm..... just what i thought the Wii is running homebrew through gamecube specification, meaning it has the gamecubes limits when running homebrew. Once someone figures out how to run homebrew primarily on the Wii, emulation development will be alot easier.

missingnoo
April 8th, 2007, 20:22
Hell Yah! now I dont have to Dish out $600
for a PS3 So I can play my PS1 games
on my HDTV. Good Luck Fellows ^__^

luischo
April 25th, 2007, 16:31
Wow :D

Yami Mario
April 27th, 2007, 14:17
Looks good!!

Quakii
April 29th, 2007, 10:57
I hope someone takes it :P

adr990
May 24th, 2007, 19:42
Hello
Great work!
But where I most put the roms?
(This is psx (ps1) for the gamecube? or not?)
Greetz adr990

zodttd
June 21st, 2007, 09:37
I'm willing to take it on. Guess I need to get a Wii. Exciting news about Wii / GC homebrew.

I bet I can get "fullspeed" emulation out of the GC / Wii with my teams psx4all emulator. I'll look into it.

Is there a demand for such an emulator for the GC / Wii? I ask since I normally aim to get psx4all working on handhelds. Getting it to work on a console, would mean they could just use a PS1/PS2.

wraggster
June 21st, 2007, 16:09
yeah theres a demand :) and theres also a wii/gc coding competition with quite a nice prize(s)

mr_nick666
June 21st, 2007, 20:00
Man this would be awesome! :D I play loads of homebrew on my Wii and this would rule all! ;)

dejkirkby
June 21st, 2007, 20:09
If this works via the SD Media Launcher, I'm all for it!
Wii FTW!

HousePlant
June 22nd, 2007, 03:31
There is a demand!

fkhan
June 22nd, 2007, 12:23
I would also greatly appreciate PSX emu for GC/Wii zodttd

nuvalo
June 23rd, 2007, 21:11
A PSX emu would be great, please, donīt give up

XioN980
June 25th, 2007, 00:09
please make it GC Disc compatible, SDload would be quicker loading but space is an issue :(

Abobora
August 2nd, 2007, 10:08
there is DEFINATLY a demand, I wish I could see this done, it would be awesome, specially because I love the WII classic controller.

Ciderax
September 2nd, 2007, 06:36
hell yeah, playing FF7 on my wii would be tight

EduardoXZ
September 21st, 2007, 16:23
How to use it? =D

VampDude
September 22nd, 2007, 05:59
How to use it? =D

You need an SD Loader/Gecko and an Action Replay, there are many tutorials on how to use these programs here on DCEmu. :)

gary_abernethy2
October 5th, 2007, 17:57
Im for it being SD card compatable.
I like the speed, its my only option since my Cube is unmodded, and I dont mind having to have multiple cards due to space issues.

kralle
October 6th, 2007, 13:33
does it work for wii and how good?

CoinCollector
October 10th, 2007, 01:34
does it work for wii and how good?

Well, currently it's just unfinished source code, not a completed program.

gary_abernethy2
October 15th, 2007, 15:13
Does anyone know where I can nab an even partially translated rom of the Dragon Quest IV remake and the Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2 remake for playstation?

kwanbis
December 19th, 2007, 19:03
I bet I can get "fullspeed" emulation out of the GC / Wii with my teams psx4all emulator. I'll look into it.
I'm sure you can. PS1 emulation was possible on the Dreamcast. The GC/Wii are faster.

Is there a demand for such an emulator for the GC / Wii? I ask since I normally aim to get psx4all working on handhelds. Getting it to work on a console, would mean they could just use a PS1/PS2.
I'm really interested, i want to play my old PS1 games.

silverwind
January 11th, 2008, 05:15
No one's going to further this project at all? Damn, I was really looking forward to playing PSX games on my Wii.

brigg
January 30th, 2008, 18:40
hey zodttd, are you taking this project on!?

reconish
April 3rd, 2008, 21:54
Can I just ask a question? I don't know most of the terms you explained, is this to build an emulator that runs gamecube and ps1 games on the PC? that's what I googled, this is what I found. I'd be glad to help anyway though. :thumbup:

Nintendo Maniac 64
April 13th, 2008, 19:59
Well, this is kind of depressing that this looks like it hasn't gone anywhere... That classic controller is dying to be used for this!

(being able to read actual PS1 CDs would pwn as well)

linkinworm
April 13th, 2008, 20:35
can this load of front sd, or does the wii drive work? and can it run native ps1 games? or burnt games?

JKKDARK
April 13th, 2008, 21:01
Can I just ask a question? I don't know most of the terms you explained, is this to build an emulator that runs gamecube and ps1 games on the PC? that's what I googled, this is what I found. I'd be glad to help anyway though. :thumbup:

No. It's a source code of a PlayStation emulator for Gamecube and Wii.

Jay6
April 13th, 2008, 22:10
Why do people forget to read that this is a source, not the full program?
And I do hope we'd be able to use the classic controller for this... I can't see it working well with a GCN controller.

vicious1988
April 13th, 2008, 22:12
It looks like this code uses an older build of the toolchains (pre-Wii). Although I'm not entirely sure.

linkinworm
April 13th, 2008, 22:45
Why do people forget to read that this is a source, not the full program?
And I do hope we'd be able to use the classic controller for this... I can't see it working well with a GCN controller.
so do you have it compiled? when i tried to do it, i get a makefile error because there is no makefile, id like to see if this works

____anders____
April 13th, 2008, 23:50
shit, just friggin awesome, someone finish this one PLEASE!:)

slipknot1564
April 14th, 2008, 20:52
If someone finishes this i will give them a cookie :)

icecoolwas
April 14th, 2008, 20:57
wonder why they made the wii such a weak console731mhz, thats like having 2 PSP's processing board, the ps3 is a 3ghz, which is 3000mhz, 1ghz faster then my laptop and my comp, imagine what homebrew could do with 3ghz.... wait is 731mhz enough to run runescape? lmfao.

EDIT:Runescape requires

500mhz, and 128mb ram (High detail)
or
300mhz and 64mb ram (Low detail)

LOL, runescape is a sucky game, i admit,but it would be amazing to see some hacker to get it working on the wii. considering Wiilinux will have java installed, i think it would be able to.

Nintendo Maniac 64
April 15th, 2008, 01:14
You can't compare MHz of CPUs directly with each other, there will be differences in architecture and efficiencies. That's the same reason why a 1.6GHz Core2 Duo will be faster than a 2.8GHz Pentium 4. Heck, even a 1.6GHz AMD Athlon will be faster than a 1.6GHz Pentium 4.

daknight
April 25th, 2008, 23:51
I am surprise there was already preliminary work for PSX emulator for the Wii. Was thinking it would take at least 6 months before we even heard of preliminary works on PSX emulation on the Wii.

Hope someone did take up on the project and is continuing the great work :D I am actually surprise how damn fast homebrew is moving for Wii, is like something new comes out every day xP

turtleman6431
April 26th, 2008, 17:55
Wish I knew how to program. Gewd Luck to anybody that can take this on.

iSynic
April 26th, 2008, 18:51
PPC =/= x86

Nintendo Maniac 64
May 13th, 2008, 03:44
well, darn... it looks like my revival of this topic hasn't resulted in any progress :/

I'll try just one more time... after that, I'm throwing in the towel.

vicious1988
May 13th, 2008, 15:12
I would but I'm busy working on a 3D engine based off of the acube demo. I'm hoping to have a video showing progress up w/i a week or two.

AndrewArsonn
June 1st, 2008, 21:50
Guess noone's planning on working on this,
the thread is so dead.
=/
poo.

masterchief929
June 1st, 2008, 22:08
wow... i really hope this gets developed soon. it would be awesome to play ff7 and ff8 on my wii. :)

DPyro
June 1st, 2008, 22:55
Someone should compile this and upload the ELF...no clue if this is working fully yet though.

AndrewArsonn
June 2nd, 2008, 02:46
Someone should compile this and upload the ELF...no clue if this is working fully yet though.

It's not fully developed.
It would be really nice to have though.
I'm dying to play games like Chrono Cross and Star Ocean on my wii. :rolleyes:

KristenBaldousor
June 2nd, 2008, 06:56
I'd would do something, but i'm planning to work this summer on a engine to make Zelda like games for the Wii. Though I gotta first see how to program for the wii before ever thinking on that engine, xD

AndrewArsonn
June 3rd, 2008, 05:54
Well I do have enough time to work on something like this, but the one thing I don't have is the experience.
meh.

hjfbv1
June 3rd, 2008, 22:12
T.T i wish i knew how to program, i wana play star ocean cause i never beat it (got to last part-ish area and couldnt beat the boss there so i quit, same thing with baten katios) i even had the ps1 game shark and still lost 0.0

AndrewArsonn
June 4th, 2008, 00:31
Wouldn't it just be easier to port an existing complete psx emu homebrew app to the wii? (thinking out loud)
I mean The friggin' psp has a psx emu and they also have a n64 emu too.
Would be nice to make things a little more fair. =/

hjfbv1
June 4th, 2008, 09:55
Wouldn't it just be easier to port an existing complete psx emu homebrew app to the wii? (thinking out loud)
I mean The friggin' psp has a psx emu and they also have a n64 emu too.
Would be nice to make things a little more fair. =/

in time. i think this is what they are doing. i have the original emu on my mac like i do most of the emus relesed for wii and its o.k. the real reason ppl have trouble porting emus over to wii is because of the power pc processor. its the cpu that mac uses and in turn makes the port-able emus very limited. becuase everyone who starts a mac emulator quit half-way for instance the GC(not sure of name) emu is not being worked on and N64 (sixtyforce) was dumped by gerret. though u still have to pay to use the emu... grr

GespenstM
June 4th, 2008, 12:54
I would love to see PS1/PSX running on the Wii. I have no issue with putting the relevant gamefiles on my SD card, because it'd be a fine investment to pick up a card specifically for that purpose.

I can think of tons of great games for the system that I'd love to play on a console that still works -- my PS2 is dead, as is my PSX. FF Tactics, FF7, Super Robot Taisen/Wars Alpha, and so on.

AndrewArsonn
June 4th, 2008, 16:40
What about epsxe?
that's the best psx emu right? (and complete)
If I'm being noobish to you excuse me, but couldn't it be possible to just port that?

Unicron2k
June 4th, 2008, 18:39
It could, but the work in porting it, picking out the bugs etc. would probably take a lot more time than develop this one. Why? The Wii use a COMPLETLY different CPU architecture(PPC vs. x86-64) and a different set of libraries(LibOGC).

It's not impossible, but would require more work than this one to get it to compile for PPC and actually work. I'm not completly sure I've got it right, but his is my impression from what I've seen.

If just a high power, architecture/os independent language was inventet(not java, slow and ugly)...

Starscream
June 4th, 2008, 20:47
epsxe is not open source.

AndrewArsonn
June 4th, 2008, 22:22
Ahh, I see.
Would still definitely love to see a psx emu for the wii.:rolleyes:

wigglywoo
June 5th, 2008, 09:33
ahhhhhhhhh yes memories of abes oddesey and iss pro wow that would be great to play them again

AndrewArsonn
June 6th, 2008, 22:55
So I'm guessing noone's working on this.
But I could be wrong, it would take awhile to make. :p

AndrewArsonn
June 10th, 2008, 02:02
Topic's dead, it shouldn't be. =/
The classic controller is perfect for this.

scrabbus
June 10th, 2008, 10:14
I know AndrewArsonn but it will have to be taken up by a programmer, I hope it does though its one of the missing systems , that and its a doddle to emulate at top speeds, my old 486 could emulate a psone at full speed

nepsquare
June 10th, 2008, 10:48
Haha, the 486 could barely handle dos snes emu's... Cinch ur enthusiasm... ;)

NegFactor
June 10th, 2008, 15:49
Don't worry, there will always be spirit in this topic. Andrew won't let it die because it's the only thread he posts in for bumping.

Seriously, I imagine someone is working on this and we'll see it when we see it. People just need to learn some patience. Me, I'm waiting on a Saturn port before this becomes nearly as relevant to me. The only PSX game that I really want to drop onto an SD card and play would be Tactics Ogre.

AndrewArsonn
June 11th, 2008, 19:44
haha, I believe it became obvious at my attempts to keep this thread up. :D

Vector_Matt
June 14th, 2008, 16:02
A Playstation emulator for the Wii would be great.
Unfortunately I don't know enough about coding to make an emulator, but I could help with testing and bug locating.

Also if a psx emulator is made it should probably support GC controllers, as not all of us have/want a classic controller.

WizardOfOdd
June 15th, 2008, 09:59
Yeah either that or someone should make some sort of Wii>PS1 adapter, like the SNES one you can get.

AndrewArsonn
June 16th, 2008, 03:08
A Playstation emulator for the Wii would be great.
Unfortunately I don't know enough about coding to make an emulator, but I could help with testing and bug locating.

Also if a psx emulator is made it should probably support GC controllers, as not all of us have/want a classic controller.

Most homebrew uses gamecube controllers in it's first stages so I don't think you don't have anything to worry about.
But, I doubt someone is working on this particular emu at this moment though.

AndrewArsonn
June 22nd, 2008, 05:45
Hm..Well, they have a saturn emu now (barely working) but the future looks great for this emu now all that it's gonna take is time for someone to pick this up. *waits*

davidw89
June 27th, 2008, 03:11
Calling on everyone who wants a playstation emulator for Wii

http://www.zodttd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2332

I found someone who is willing to port it..hopefully we'll have a psone emulator in development!!

fook123
June 27th, 2008, 03:22
Calling on everyone who wants a playstation emulator for Wii

http://www.zodttd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2332

I found someone who is willing to port it..hopefully we'll have a psone emulator in development!!

DUDE.......... AWESOME........ :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Eviltaco64
June 27th, 2008, 03:23
Nice, try to make a gamecube port as well

davidw89
June 27th, 2008, 03:24
I'm willing to take it on. Guess I need to get a Wii. Exciting news about Wii / GC homebrew.

What he said:

I really would like to do psx4wii, but at the time things were just starting to get going in terms of Wii Homebrew.

I would want to do psx4wii for native Wii homebrew, and not the Gamecube compatibility mode of course. For performance reasons.

I unfortunately do not have a Nintendo Wii though. If I had one, I would be working on it at very least in my free time. I think it would be a fun project, though not the easiest due to homebrew being in its infancy on the Wii.

For now it seems I would need a modded Wii as well, and I dont solder. I highly doubt someone will donate a premod due to the price. :P

kingslime80
June 27th, 2008, 04:41
Do you think it's possible to get a PS2 emulator to work? I really want to play Kingdom Hearts without lining Sony's Pocketbook.

davidw89
June 27th, 2008, 04:50
I'll bet $10, no PS2 emulator won't be ported to Wii considering it doesn't even run at full speed on the computer yet (damn my quad core can't run it properly yet)..

Eviltaco64
June 27th, 2008, 05:58
Do you think it's possible to get a PS2 emulator to work? I really want to play Kingdom Hearts without lining Sony's Pocketbook.

Wii could never emulate PS2.

KristenBaldousor
June 27th, 2008, 07:53
So, if any of you get a hold on where I can put my donation so the guys get a Wii, post it, 'll gladly donate a couple of bucks for this one!!!!

Jay6
June 27th, 2008, 10:30
You wouldn't be able to fit many PS2 games on a 2GB SD card... so I don't think it'd be a great idea. Heck, some PSX games can take up over a gig of space... but I do like the idea of playing some PSX games on the Wii, maybe.

jmf145
June 27th, 2008, 12:01
You wouldn't be able to fit many PS2 games on a 2GB SD card... so I don't think it'd be a great idea. Heck, some PSX games can take up over a gig of space...

Three words: External hard drive

legoboy1234
June 27th, 2008, 20:10
a usb hdd on the wii??? there's barely a usb mass storage device driver implemented:confused: btw zodttd does psx emulators for almost all systems that will support it. he has one for the gp2x, iphone, psp, and he's now working on the wii one

kingslime80
June 27th, 2008, 20:57
I hope this one gets Game Shark support when it's done, then I can put away the modded PSX I got for Christmas a few years back.
PS2 support may be a pipe-dream but I can hold out hope cant I?

AndrewArsonn
July 13th, 2008, 17:34
What bugs me is, there's a saturn emu for wii being worked on and alot of people say it would be more possible to emulate the psx, and to see the emu I'd like to see the most not going anywhere, that's just sad.

NegFactor
July 13th, 2008, 23:56
What's sad is I got my hopes up for a moment that some useful news might be coming through, only to find out that you're doing a bump post sixteen days later. Seriously, have some patience.

And Yabause is hardly even close to readymade progress for playing some legitimate games on the Wii. Bubble Bobble? Big whoop.

AndrewArsonn
July 16th, 2008, 17:30
Well, someone just released a genesis emu with dvd support, so storage on the sd card for wii homebrew might not be a problem anymore, it would just need cd support (seeing as that i have about 50 empty cds that I make psx backups with.)
And don't worry they are games I OWN like chrono cross, final fantasy, etc.. :)

PeyeRate420
September 6th, 2008, 07:57
Three words: External hard drive

The EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE prob wont work. the wii's USB transfer rate is 2 slow i think ;)

I duck when saying this LOL but what about NO$GBA port for NDS emulation on the wii!

after all sofiacat did it for the PSP and it had PERFECT GFX and ran at 3 fps on its FIRST BETA RELEASE!

jmf145
September 6th, 2008, 22:19
The EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE prob wont work. the wii's USB transfer rate is 2 slow i think ;)

Are you talking about currently for homebrew or do mean that the wii's USB transfer rate will always be slow?

kingslime80
September 7th, 2008, 04:54
Umm, I heard that there's now a way to read DVDs from Homebrew, maybe you could use that? I have plenty of burnt disks already and CDs are pretty cheep now.

kevenz
September 8th, 2008, 01:00
with dvd support, that resolve pretty much the problem of storage...... those 4 discs games fit on a dvd easily.

the main problem is there is a working emulator first? :P

vicious1988
September 8th, 2008, 01:45
There's one underway. It already supports DVD, USB, etc. Don't know how well it works yet though.

kevenz
September 8th, 2008, 02:04
I guess the Wii with it's 733 mhz could easily run a ps1 that's only 33mhz.

I know, the're different machine but it should be doable.

J_Hibiki
September 8th, 2008, 02:56
Yeah the psx4all emulator could run on the dreamcast so I don't see any reason it could not run on the Wii at full or close to full speed.

kevenz
September 8th, 2008, 04:05
I want it for FF7,FF9, FFT and Chrono Cross.

Eviltaco64
September 8th, 2008, 04:12
I'd really like to see someone pick up this project.
*Thinks of playing Final Fantasy VIII on Gamecube :D

kevenz
September 8th, 2008, 04:50
FF8 was so slow on the ps1.... hope the emulator could speed up the game :P

KOKOACHU
February 18th, 2009, 22:18
Awesome!

smccr
February 20th, 2009, 01:54
How I can compile Gcsx for gamecube? I've tried with visual studio and I cannot do it