PDA

View Full Version : Wii Warm Up: Negativity

Shrygue
April 6th, 2007, 14:44
via Nintendo Wii Fanboy (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/04/06/wii-warm-up-negativity/)

We've noticed something lately, and thought it worth mentioning this fine morning: there are lots of people talking about the "failure" of the Wii. We've seen dozens of op-ed pieces on the various things that have "killed" the Wii (lack of supply, lack of games, lack of third party support), and we see lots of rousing posts on various interweb forums about how Nintendo can "turn things around." Frankly, these kinds of pieces make us rub our eyes and make comic faces that demonstrate our disbelief. Is this bizarro world? Because in this world, we see a lot of people playing Wii. We see a lot of people buying Wii. We're watching Nintendo ooze money right now. So, uh, just what is it we're missing here?

lipnox88
April 6th, 2007, 16:01
its just the ps3 fans who are on there period.

JKKDARK
April 6th, 2007, 16:25
I lol'd a lot. Then how can they explain Wii has the best sales

Cap'n 1time
April 6th, 2007, 16:46
not only that, but by console sales alone (no software included) the wii will turn the highest profit of any of the consoles. Even though the gamecube "failed" it also made a lot of money due to its reasonable specs and intelligent marketing. Also, if a game were ported from the PS2 to the GC, you were better off getting it on GC as it had vastly improved loading times and much better graphics. I liked my GC, and i'll like my wii (if i ever find one)

Balthasar00
April 6th, 2007, 16:58
I lol'd a lot. Then how can they explain Wii has the best sales

Coz common folks are weird. They buy, then thy think.

ploom2
April 6th, 2007, 17:47
20 years ago i remember people saying "spectrum is better than c64 blah blah blah"..

same old arguments, only this time on the internet, and not only in the playground..

why people are so fanatical about pieces of electronics amazes me...i wonder if there are arguments over microwaves and toasters..

people seem more interested in nintendo making profits than the few games that are out.

and the comment about gc games being better than ps2.... WHY DO YOU CARE ?

lipnox88
April 6th, 2007, 18:08
when I had owned all 3 i sold my ps2 because it sucked. but anyways I used my ps2 for games that were online only for the ps2 *the tony hawk games were basicly it) and then i liked the smackdown games and the kingdom hearts. but the same arguement about the gc games better then ps2 goes with the xbox games being better then the gc ones. I bought games based on what controller I wanted to use and which ever console i played games on the most i bought games for so i didnt have to unplug and plug em into the back of my tv when i wanted to switch games. and I bought soul caliber for gamecube for link:) thats how to pursade anyone.

Accordion
April 6th, 2007, 19:49
my Wii has been in its box since new year!!!

i want to like it, truly! but the software is awful so far, seems like a dud to me...although a very profitable dud for nintendo

it seems nintendos plan was ONLY about profit from the start, though all this family fun acting seems to be working well enough...

they were right though, games should be rated by the gameplay opportunities, not graphics...thats why i play Motorstorm.

shadowprophet
April 6th, 2007, 20:06
my Wii has been in its box since new year!!!

i want to like it, truly! but the software is awful so far, seems like a dud to me...although a very profitable dud for nintendo

it seems nintendos plan was ONLY about profit from the start, though all this family fun acting seems to be working well enough...

they were right though, games should be rated by the gameplay opportunities, not graphics...thats why i play Motorstorm.

I think people vastly underestimate the draw of the virtual console. People claim the wii doesn't have a strong library right now, In spite of Zelda twilight princess, wario ware,sonic and the secret rings, and with titles like, super paper mario, metroid prime 3 and,mario galaxy on the loom along with third party support like the resident evil 4 remake, nights,dragon quest, the wii's future is so bright we gotta wear shades.

But the strongest feature by far is the Virtual console, With this your profuse gamer is profoundly gratified, most of these titles are time testes classics, and with the classic controller, "not a game cube one" you will feel these games play they way they where meant to be played.

I have often asked myself, "If Nintendo had released a simplified console that only downloaded and played virtual console games- Would i still have paid 250.00 dollars for it.

And every time i answer with a resounding hells yeah.
The wii is the best deal on the market not only because of it's price. But because of its content as well.

Accordion
April 6th, 2007, 20:57
your right, the VC is good, but i already own all the games i want to play, and most are; or at least have been, in their original formats. But for new games the Wii is seriously lacking, i cant be bothered to finish twilight princess, CoD 3 has no online, Wii sports has been forgotten long ago

im only keeping it for hope of some great games, No more Heroes, being the only one i can think of.

after buying the ps3 i have even less reason to play the Wii, and i only have a ps3 because i only had to pay £300 with two games.

i guess the main reason is i look forward to games with substance, those which will push what i believe a game can do, and with Nintendo going money hungry chasing new markets, and Microsoft serving the hollywood crop, the only place to turn is sony, who seem to be killing themselves to enable people to experience new things.
i am incredibly pleased with motorstorm, £7 Tekken and flOw.
and cant wait for MGS4, Little Big Planet, team Ico's next game,and the possibility of new REZ.

unfortunately i cant say the same about the Wii s upcoming games, and after spending over £300 on it, i wish i could.

voltorben
April 6th, 2007, 21:19
@accordion:
Did you just feel like spending 300 $? i can't see why you got a wii, when you think its crap.

I really like my wii, and the VC is really great too!

DPyro
April 6th, 2007, 22:06
Wii is cheap. Mines starting to act up on me and I've barely used it (artifacts in-game / wii menu) :mad:

A warning to anyone who owns a Wii, turn Wii Connect OFF.

Demolition49
April 6th, 2007, 22:10
Snipr i think your problem is you may not be using stand, it raises the fan away from the fround to allow it room to breathe.

And i personally think wii has a great library right now with a great library coming up.

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 22:14
um yeah the stand is there for a good reason. ventilation. my wii has been on connect 24 for 4 months with no problems.

DPyro
April 6th, 2007, 22:34
No, its on its stand...

And like I said, I've barely used it. So its always in standby with no fan running, and Wii Connect ON

Accordion
April 6th, 2007, 23:01
@accordion:
Did you just feel like spending 300 $? i can't see why you got a wii, when you think its crap.

I really like my wii, and the VC is really great too!

well i did like it, from Uk launch December 8th till the end of december...

there is no software, the menus are restricting and it simply is not exciting..

and $300 is a lot less than £300 so i feel very very let down[and stupid]...[i have spent the same amount on the Ps3 and have had much more fun, though ill wait till ive had it a month to really compare!ha!]

and WiiConnect 24 does cause ALOT of heat from the console. i used to use it, but i found the surrounding area on my shelf was getting hot as well!!! danger will robinson!!!

ICE
April 6th, 2007, 23:27
hmm i havent had any heat at all when in standby. well at least not anything noticeable.

shadowprophet
April 7th, 2007, 10:55
My wii does heat up alarmingly on standby." it seems that on standby the fans don't seem to keep the system properly cooled" So I simply stopped using standby. I mean, what's the perpess of standby anyway. Its just a feature that serves wii connect 24. standby isn't really necessary if one where to ask me.

On a side note., Ill never understand. Why a high profile title like Halo, or GTA, can save a console.
But a legendarily high profile title. Like Zelda, or mario. Is looked upon like ehh, its just a nity title.

The reality is, No single developer anywhere, has the talent under one roof that nintendo has. and people just don't seem to want to admit that.

It's almost like society places more value on obscure high profile titles. While the time tested classics are looked upon in a different light. " oh zelda was coming, so no point in praising that,
But ninja gaiden. orange and blue, now those are praise worthy, While mario galaxy a title that has been in development for over two years now, "only to make sure its perfect," cant find the same place in someone's heart as grand theft auto 27- convenience store bloopers.

I don't think the problem is the console or the games. I think its the narrow minded idea that everyone falls into one gaming category or another. when in reality, the world is a big place full of different gamers that all want different games to play. The market may have grown to meet more focal groups of gamers, But in reality. The current state the market sees one in now, is either hard core or casual, its obvious to see that as popular a past time as video gaming is, now with old and young alike. Video gaming has outgrown those old ideas. Its no longer as simple as hard core or casual. we have people now in the scene that aren't casual, nor are they hard core. The market does need to understand, that when a game as big as the "Market" is being played, that there really ought to be more then just two types of gamers catered to.
That's just my opinion anyway.

werpu
April 8th, 2007, 14:02
Funny thing is, most people who complain on a lack of games, simply say there is only wii sports, zelda and a bunch of party games, which is not true, with about 2-3 games coming out currently every week I do not feel a lack of games, ok, 70% of them are titles I would not buy, but that is true for every plarform. I currently own about 10 wii titles and a similar number of reused cube titles, and only two of the wii titles I would consider failures (That being, GT, ok that came with the wii for extra 20 dollars so no complains, and heatseeker, which simply is not my genre, although the game is good)
What is missing however is more epic games, Zelda is good, but there is nothing besides it in the same genre, adventure games are missing as well...
But the wii already has a very good lineup for its small time of existence.

DPyro
April 8th, 2007, 14:32
Ok guys, I've been doing research and can 100% confirm the WiiConnect24 broke my Wii from overheating. Google 'wii overheating artifacts'.

Accordion
April 8th, 2007, 19:03
Ok guys, I've been doing research and can 100% confirm the WiiConnect24 broke my Wii from overheating. Google 'wii overheating artifacts'.

why did nintendo refuse to put an on/off switch on the console, even in red light standby it is still on, seems a really strange thing to do..

ive found the console heats up alot more lying down due to the larger surface being in contact. and if someone was clever enough to put the cube slot covers on the other side then i could use cube ports without haing o remove the covers completely....argh!.