PDA

View Full Version : Gamasutra asks: "Is there anything wrong with the PSP?"

Shrygue
April 6th, 2007, 19:02
via PSP Fanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/04/06/gamasutra-asks-is-there-anything-wrong-with-the-psp/)

We'd like to think that there's nothing wrong with our beloved handheld. However, the truth is that many people, misinformed or not, do not believe in Sony's platform. Gamasutra asked a number of industry professionals about what they think is wrong about PSP, if there is anything at all.

David Cole from DFC Intelligence points out that the price drop is a good step, but that's not enough. "I think a new form factor is needed more than a price cut."

Ed Barton from Screen Digest is frustrated at the constant comparisons to Nintendo DS: "We forecast that the global installed base of PSP users will be around 29 million at the end of 2007, generating $1.9 billion in software sales. Lifetime software sales at the end of 2007 will be around $4.5 billion. If this is 'failing,' then failure just got a huge brand makeover."

Mike Wolf from ABI Research thinks that anti-Sony fanboyism runs wild due to high expectations placed on Sony ... due to their ambitious claims. "I believe the device's perceived 'failure' by some is due to the device struggling to live up to Sony's own marketing of the product, much like what the PS3 is going through today."

I completely agree with many of the things these professionals have to say about PSP. It's true that PSP is certainly not a failure, but it could've been far more successful as well. Sony has made a ton of mistakes this life cycle, but as they've been recently showing, things can easily change with a refocused effort.

Basil Zero
April 6th, 2007, 20:12
Yes, the price is high and the fanboyism is terrible, its a recession in terms of sony's life cycle

burrito
April 6th, 2007, 20:16
the battery life is HORRIBLE

remansano
April 6th, 2007, 20:21
I agree with you.
As I always said, they made one of the best hardware I've ever seen, but it feels like Sony is not unleashing it's full power.
Like VoIP... the PSP could be suporting a VoIP chat (like Skype) since it was launched, but still we don't have anything official.
All those programs that uses the network, (SSH client, VNC client, IRC client)... we thank god we have such an amazing Homebrew scene because if that was only Sony, we wouldn't have all of those.
I've heard that the Xbox360 has a service to download movies and series from the internet direct to its own hard drive paying just a few dollars for each download... Why can't my PSP have the same?? It's really good to watch movies and is also able to connect to the internet!!
So I agree that the PSP is surelly not a failure, but we could have been a HUGE success if Sony was a little more open-minded.

PLZKLLME0080
April 6th, 2007, 20:24
the battery life is HORRIBLE

the battery is WAY better than the ipod video's which seems to run out after 3 or 4 hours for me.

burrito
April 6th, 2007, 20:32
the battery is WAY better than the ipod video's which seems to run out after 3 or 4 hours for me.
that's because Mac sucks lol
But the DS lites battery is like 4 times longer than psp.

PLZKLLME0080
April 6th, 2007, 20:36
that's because Mac sucks lol
But the DS lites battery is like 4 times longer than psp.

thats cuz it doesnt do any of the awsome stuff the psp does. and it doesnt have to worry about good graphics either.

burrito
April 6th, 2007, 20:40
thats cuz it doesnt do any of the awsome stuff the psp does. and it doesnt have to worry about good graphics either.
DS has worse graphics but games that are more fun. :) DS has bad homebrew though.

PSP has awesome graphics but few fun games. PSP has awesome homebrew. :D

Buddy4point0
April 6th, 2007, 21:46
yep psp is way better than the ds.
but the battery is bad.
and why does your ipod video only last 4 hours?
mine lasts like 10 watching videos, or like 2 days just listing to music

lukinava
April 6th, 2007, 22:21
psp has no FaNitos. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjmiMLo0UVs

BladeofTheImmortal
April 6th, 2007, 22:44
DS has worse graphics but games that are more fun. :) DS has bad homebrew though.

PSP has awesome graphics but few fun games. PSP has awesome homebrew. :D

Don't start this bullshit again. PSP has just many good games as DS, and even better homebrew to push it over the edge by far.

schluptnut
April 6th, 2007, 23:36
Sony's marketing Blows. Everyone is worried about Sony selling shit. When XBox has a fanbase that pays $50 a month plus games to play it. When I play it and lose to someone, I dont exactly hear "Shove this $50 up your ass fanboy!"

emuking
April 7th, 2007, 01:51
no it just needs to be 150 and have two analog sticks

Triv1um
April 7th, 2007, 02:48
indeed, I know a few people that were put off with the psp because of its 1 nub.

2 would increase sales and not cost that much.