PDA

View Full Version : The Strategy of Game Delays

Shrygue
April 6th, 2007, 19:20
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/delays/the-strategy-of-game-delays-250343.php)

Who hasn't experienced the frustration of calling or going to a game store to see an eagerly anticipated game has arrived, only to find it's been delayed for days, weeks, or months? While game delays are often caused by developmental issues, sometimes the cause for delay are less flukes and more strategic marketing maneuvers on the part of publishers.

Blake Snow over at GamePro.com has written an article that explores this tactic, citing the famous example of Twilight Princess for the Gamecube, delayed in order to move more Wii's at launch. He speaks with industry analyst extraordinaire Michael Pachter on the subject.

"But even though quality is a major reason for game delays, it's far from the only reason. "Delays occur for both strategic and quality reasons," says analyst Michael Pachter. Contrary to what you may think, publishers are just as likely to delay a game for strategic reasons as they are quality ones."

An interesting read, which would have been much more interesting if all but one of the game companies he contacted hadn't declined to comment. He at least got David Karraker from Sony, who would probably punch me in the gut before even giving me the time of day, so that's something. I suggest you check it out (http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/international/games/features/108188.shtml?&AFC-HSUIT&ATTR=DIGG) without delay.

Basil Zero
April 6th, 2007, 20:11
And they only found this out now?

IM back!
April 6th, 2007, 20:46
This is kinda old.

The_It
April 6th, 2007, 23:22
I remember going to the store to get twilight princess on september 11, 2005, or 2006, I don't remember. but it was long enough ago for me to forget about the game completely, then not recognise it when it was released.

funem
April 7th, 2007, 00:16
Well I'm off to the shops again tomorrow, Im told that Duke Nukem Forever is out soon and I want to check my on order

:rofl:

wiredforpower
April 7th, 2007, 00:53
yea I already figured that out

Broadus
April 7th, 2007, 23:08
I remember someone trying to tell me that the delay of Mega Man Mania was some brilliant strategy by Capcom, and they ended up never releasing that game.