PDA

View Full Version : DSCent alpha release

wraggster
April 7th, 2007, 00:41
kayvenm (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=12866&start=15) has released a port of Descent to the Nintendo DS, heres the release info:

Well, here we are, alpha release 1 :

Notes :
You need the 1.5 data files (descent.hog and descent.pig). Shareware files wont work since they never did a 1.5 patch and the lastest shareware version is 1.4a...
Sound is in but still a little glitchy. No music.
No network.
Start is enter, select is escape (for menu navigation).
Touch the weapon on the bottom screen to select it.

As far as I know it should be pretty much bug free, but I haven't tried all the levels so some may not have enough free memory.

Have fun,
Kayven

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

crookedmouth
April 7th, 2007, 00:49
As soon as I can dig out my old copy of descent(I doubt it's 1.5) I'll test and pray it works on my fickle card. Either way great news, and another natural for the DS. Thanks

WermerSkoch
April 7th, 2007, 04:42
Wow, awesome! Can't wait to try it out.

EDIT: Just tried it out. Very impressive! I really hope development continues on this one. The only thing I could really ask for would be some soft buttons on the touch screen, that you could map to secondary fire, etc.. But I can't complain, this is an amazing release (and an alpha at that)! Thanks, and keep up the good work!

fryguy
April 7th, 2007, 12:14
w00t! can't wait to try this out

XDelusion
April 7th, 2007, 13:18
Please tell me this FPS at least takes advantage of the Touch screen. We got all these FPS ports and none of the use the touch screen in an effective way, rather most of them stick with the joypad. :/

fryguy
April 7th, 2007, 13:45
No DLDI support? :/

Junixx
April 7th, 2007, 17:53
Dang I dont have the full game anymore :(

crookedmouth
April 9th, 2007, 00:55
No DLDI support? :/

Yes it has DLDI support! Though it doesn't say it anywhere. Just put everything in the Root of your card, patch it and run it. Getting actual pc game patched is annoying but hey.

the files needed are
the sizes of the pig and hog files are after patching to 1.5

DESCENT.HOG 6.53MB(6,856,701 bytes)
DESCENT.PIG 4.69MB (4,920,305 bytes)
DSCENT.nds
player.plr

Works on my Max Media Dock. I must say that it is a very nice Alpha release, as far as I've gotten. My only critique so far is it needs more configurable controls. It would be nice to have Left Handed control option, "mouse" sensetivity, and a joystick(non touchscreen) control. Great work anyway!

element2
April 9th, 2007, 22:07
Damn -.- i have patched it with dldi, but i always get thhis message.
Guru meditation error
DATA ABORT!
pc: 0208D558 addr: 00000000

please help. i cant wait to play Descent on my DS, my Favorite ghame ever o.o. i hope, this will get a realy good port.so keep on.

ps: i use a Supercard SD and a 1gig Sandisk standard sd card.
firmare: Flashme 7.0
dldi patch: SCSD

crookedmouth
April 10th, 2007, 00:45
You may want to click the developers name above and read his gbadev posts.

try his debug version perhaps?
Download
http://rapidshare.com/files/24809224/DScent-bin-Dbg.zip.html

quietus0
April 11th, 2007, 19:08
works great .... on my MMD

thanks for your work.. :)

just pache .nds file with dlditool32.exe

lostgame
April 27th, 2007, 03:00
Doesn't work on my DS. Get the same "guru meditation error" with that.

MMD here.

crookedmouth
April 27th, 2007, 07:46
works fine on my MMD.

It needs 1.5 version of full retail.

Just put everything in the Root of your card, patch it and run it. Getting actual pc game patched is annoying but hey.

the files needed are

DSCENT.nds
player.plr

I attached a mmd patched file below that I know works.

Echo1
April 27th, 2007, 15:22
I have it working just fine but my copy of the original doesn't include the file player.plr. Is it needed and if so, where can I find it?

The only prob with this game is the lack of buttons on the DS. Aside from that, it's pretty cool and looks good on the small screen. :)

felixen21
April 28th, 2007, 13:38
I can't get this to work. All I've done is unpack the file and DLDI patch the .nds file. When I launch it on the DS I get a red screen I think, and it says error.. Anyone know what to do?

EDIT: Hmm, I see I need these .HOG and .PIG files. Where do I find them and what should I do with them?

Thanks in advance

crookedmouth
April 28th, 2007, 15:46
I translated above post #13. :)

It needs 1.5 version of full retail.(you need the game called Descent)

Just put everything in the Root of your card, patch it and run it. Getting actual pc game patched is annoying but hey. (put all the files below on the root of your card)

the files needed are
the sizes of the pig and hog files are after patching to 1.5(you need to patch the retail version of Descent to 1.5)

DSCENT.nds
player.plr

the hog an pig files are like dooms .wad files, they will be in wherever you installed descent to.

felixen21
April 28th, 2007, 16:00
Oh, hehe my bad.. I didn't know I needed to own the actual PC game.. Thanks though

edit: there's nowhere I can download these files legally?

DanTheManMS
April 28th, 2007, 21:54
The .hog and .pig files from the shareware demo don't work, so yes you'll have to buy the game.

pheenix-studios
September 2nd, 2008, 03:44
Yes it has DLDI support! Though it doesn't say it anywhere. Just put everything in the Root of your card, patch it and run it. Getting actual pc game patched is annoying but hey.

the files needed are

DSCENT.nds
player.plr

Works on my Max Media Dock. I must say that it is a very nice Alpha release, as far as I've gotten. My only critique so far is it needs more configurable controls. It would be nice to have Left Handed control option, "mouse" sensetivity, and a joystick(non touchscreen) control. Great work anyway!

I am getting a fatInitDefault() failed error. What does this mean. I am also using the Max Media Dock, with v1.22 as a bootme.nds, and I have formatted and reformatter with moth FAT and FAT32. Help!!

I am running the v1.5 versions of Descent.pig and Descent.hog, and am running the DScent.nds from the root of the drive. All four files are on the root of the drive. Waht am i doing wrong?

EDIT***Never mind, I got it to work. Forgot to patch it with the DLDI file

TheRenegadist
February 7th, 2020, 12:02
Wow, trip down memory lane!