PDA

View Full Version : 20GB PS3 discontinued from Sony's official store

Shrygue
April 7th, 2007, 15:11
via PS3 Fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/04/06/20gb-ps3-discontinued-from-sonys-official-store/)

Well, if this isn't just a kick in the ol' keyboard! Seems that Sony's official store, SonyStyle, has taken down any listings of the 20GB PlayStation 3 (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=tvvideo_hav_ps3&Dept=tvvideo). That's correct, sir, all you see now is the 60GB model. Does this portend a worldwide shunning of the lower-end console, or is it simply being phased out in a different way? As in, available upon personal request, but no longer shipping en masse to stores alongside their 60GB brethren?

Obviously, we don't have an answer, but we do have a little comment. That "lower end" model might become akin to those Beanie Babies way back in the 90's -- as in, the 20GB will become the "rare model" and be more respected. Sure, the chances of that are very slim, but who knows -- perhaps the lack of chrome trim and card readers and wireless internet will somehow turn into a good thing. Make absolutely no sense? Good, then our point is made.

Leave feedback via comments.

VFerg
April 8th, 2007, 00:34
I purchased the 60 gig model only because of its wifi feature. I hate that I did now because I ended up never using it cause I dont get nearly the speeds that I do over ethernet. Which is a shame and I havent the slightest clue why. And trust me everything is setup correctly and signal strength is great. The 60 gig hard drive is great but not that big of a deal to me.

ElRazur
April 8th, 2007, 08:44
^^^ This is the same reason i opted for a 20gig even though i have a wireless box and 24megs conneciton. The absence of card reader makes no difference to my gaming experience at all.

I think sony might be looking to coming out with something to compete with the various version of xbox on the market.

mnuhaily22
April 8th, 2007, 17:09
Well I cant say I'm dissapointed because I was gonna pick up the 60 gb model anyways...

Xiofire
April 9th, 2007, 00:51
They are discontinuing it because of the rumoured 80 gb version maybe?
-Xiofire

Emeriastone
April 9th, 2007, 18:28
Don't say that you were upset that you can't buy the watered down PS3 now. I mean, sure it's more expensive to get a PS3 now, but would you really want that $500 hunk of junk, wifi-less, HDMI-out-less, non-motion sensitive sixaxis packing box of trash?

And yeah, I was planning on getting a 60 gb version...sigh...

ElRazur
April 9th, 2007, 20:52
Don't say that you were upset that you can't buy the watered down PS3 now. I mean, sure it's more expensive to get a PS3 now, but would you really want that $500 hunk of junk, wifi-less, HDMI-out-less, non-motion sensitive sixaxis packing box of trash?

And yeah, I was planning on getting a 60 gb version...sigh...

Erm..... 20gig do have hdmi output/connection and most things 60gig have except wifi internet connection, card reader and bigger memory.