PDA

View Full Version : Wii Warm Up: Superfluous waggle

Shrygue
April 7th, 2007, 16:02
via Nintendo Wii Fanboy (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/04/07/wii-warm-up-superfluous-waggle/)

Some games, like the ubiquitous Wii Sports, use the Wiimote's space-age technology to closely map real motion into gameplay. This is generally regarded as "neat" and accepted by the masses, who run off to show their grandparents.

Other games, like the upcoming port of Resident Evil 4, make no such attempt to represent physical motion as virtual motion (outside of the new knife controls). In fact, some of the motion controls seem to be simulating button presses. Case in point, reloading requires (http://wii.ign.com/articles/778/778248p1.html) you to hold B and shake the Wiimote. That's hardly more representative of the action of reloading a gun than pushing a button, or even going into a menu.

We sort of revealed how we felt there, but this isn't about us. It's about you. How does non-representative motion control affect you? Is it still fun to waggle, even when you're waggling abstractly?

Demolition49
April 7th, 2007, 18:22
Well i personally prefer the movements in real life that are similar if not the exact same in-game, it makes u feel more immersed in the game, shaking my wii mote to re-load seems like im just shaking my hand and makes u feel that much more seperated from the game. It would be simple to simulate a reload action moving the wii-mote upwards would be a clip pushed in to your gun, now that would make more sense.

Zaitmi
April 7th, 2007, 18:30
Well, when it comes right down to it, I would love real life movement involved in my Wii games, but you must also consider how they would implement the Wii controls to a game like Resident Evil. It seems too difficult to create anything with the Wiimote in a game like Resident Evil, that's all that I'm saying. I'll still be happy with RE4 because I loved that game anyway. The reloading system seems kind of fun. I think I'll enjoy this title.

Demolition49
April 7th, 2007, 20:35
anything u cant do with motion u can do with the buttons, but i agree the game will still be fun.

Is'lan
April 7th, 2007, 21:43
Ah, the art of the waggle.

It is true that the waggle can add new depth to gaming through the use of realistic acting. But that is only important if the game needs this depth. For a game like Resident Evil I would think that it would be important for it, yet you must remember that RE4 is a port; perhaps they will do a better job with Umbrella Chronicles. But with other games that are either more abstract, kiddie, or just plain weird or simple, simple-waggling is enough so long as it still fits within the game.

Broonale
April 8th, 2007, 04:30
This makes me worried about any Adults Only games that might show up for Wii!