PDA

View Full Version : Are UK owners seeing green when playing DVDs?

Shrygue
April 9th, 2007, 19:04
via PS3 Fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/04/09/are-uk-owners-seeing-green-when-playing-dvds/)

Joystiq got a pretty good e-mail concerning a DVD playback issue. Apparently, the PlayStation 3 in PAL territories has a very difficult time playing any DVDs without giving the owners a big, fat green screen (http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?forum_id=1&thread_id=78255&start=60). What's the cause of this? Sony, for starters. See, it seems that on an SDTV, the PS3 can't quite play back DVDs using the AV-Multi/SCART connector. This applies only to European PS3's (I checked mine out before typing this up -- works fine), so we've got to wonder... what's missing? What changed so much to inhibit this standard feature?

Apparently, at GAME stores, they sell a Sony brand RGB cable with a switch that fixes said issue, but it seems kind of ridiculous to have to shell out extra cash for a fix that shouldn't even be a problem. That brings us to the problem at hand: European PS3 owners, this is up to you. Let us know if you're having this issue and how much those Sony cables are at GAME -- if Sony does listen to this website at all (we've gotten a few e-mails from Sony reps about the site, actually!) then maybe they'll look into it a little further and possibly give a good ol' firmware update.

Oh, the problem doesn't exist on HD connections. Just throwing that out there, so make sure you try it on SDTVs only.

Xiofire
April 9th, 2007, 21:20
Mine works fine, via both SD and HD. (AV and HDMI)
-Xiofire

Triv1um
April 9th, 2007, 21:48
no problems for me.

Tree
April 9th, 2007, 21:53
i anit played a DVD on it yet ... i just use me DVD player ... usin PS3 2 much is alot of power :O

andk1005
April 9th, 2007, 22:07
ps2 had this issue on its uk debut back when it was relesed i cn remember it was all over the news and was on watchdog once weird eh? at least they dnt overheat hehe.