PDA

View Full Version : PSP: Internal USB Charger by Acid Mods

Avi
April 10th, 2007, 03:21
It seems like Acid Mods has done it again and come up with an Internal USB Charger. It done by linking the 5v positive and negative prongs on the usb socket to the charging plug so when you connect a USB cable it charges the PSP.

More info here: http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3316.0

Screenshot Via comments

mavsman4457
April 10th, 2007, 03:36
That's awesome. Mods are always good but I don't see why Sony didn't do this iun the first place.

Bruce.Lee
April 10th, 2007, 03:41
AcidMods is the best!

Though I´m not sure how many people would attempt to crack open their PSP and solder a bunch of wires just so they can charge through USB.

mavsman4457
April 10th, 2007, 03:44
I wish there was a list of all the mods done to a PSP grouped by category. This way I could pick and choose the best ones and send my PSP off to get modified to look and perform like a PSP of the future.

PLZKLLME0080
April 10th, 2007, 03:45
sony should of done that when they designed the PSP. those retards.

Bruce.Lee
April 10th, 2007, 03:55
I wish there was a list of all the mods done to a PSP grouped by category. This way I could pick and choose the best ones and send my PSP off to get modified to look and perform like a PSP of the future.

You could head over to AcidMods. They have the tutorials for all the mods. But if you dont want to do it yourself, they have modders for hire, theyre not cheap though.

mavsman4457
April 10th, 2007, 03:57
You could head over to AcidMods. They have the tutorials for all the mods. But if you dont want to do it yourself, they have modders for hire, theyre not cheap though.

I think I have been there and they only have forums if I am correct and they aren't very well organized. I guess I will look into it sometime soon though and rate my favorite mods to see if someone can do them for me.

Bruce.Lee
April 10th, 2007, 04:11
I´m a mod on the AcidMods forums so if you need any help with them just let me know. If you want someone to mod your PSP just look for F00f00, he´s probably the best modders there.

Oh and there´s been some organizational changes recently so I hope its easier to find what you need.

kaffie
April 10th, 2007, 11:32
I use a USB cable with a PSP power plug on it. It was a give away a while ago with a PS3 mag.

aznTerz
April 10th, 2007, 12:06
its pretty cool

Anger
April 10th, 2007, 13:04
like everyone i also am wondering how this could be done. does usb provide enough power to actually charge the psp?
i would really like this to be possible but i think it would cause problems with other devices that expect no power to be drawn from them, like the camera addon or the gps addon. can someone do this mod and find out if it affects those devices?

Cloudhunter
April 10th, 2007, 13:09
It won't effect the devices, as the camera and GPS in fact takes power from two points on the left and the right side of the PSP.

Cloudy

Buddy4point0
April 10th, 2007, 17:06
i love you acid mods! thanks so much, all your work is awsome

kcajblue
April 10th, 2007, 23:57
i dont see why sony couldnt do that in the first place. it would have been better to be able to charge using the normal charger place, and to be able to charge using the usb port.

Anger
April 11th, 2007, 00:08
there must be a reason that they chose not to do it like that in the first place.

SnesR0X
April 11th, 2007, 00:27
I want a ton of crazy mods, but it would take a good amount of time

Nocuddle
April 11th, 2007, 01:40
there must be a reason that they chose not to do it like that in the first place.

Flashin ur battery everytime u connect ur USB is really bad idea. It might shorten the life of the battery. Unless they make a switch for it. :(

pkmaximum
April 11th, 2007, 02:06
Wow SONY should have definently done this in the beggining, there would have even been a sufficient amount of room for the second analog numb if they removed the DC outlet charging port.

Psyberjock
April 11th, 2007, 05:41
I'm worried about what might happen if you have it plugged into the wall and then decide to connect the USB. Might it not send unwanted voltage through your USB cable into your computer?

This mod seems to have potential, but may need some safeguards. Maybe some transistors to only allow the electricity to flow in one direction.

I'm also worried about the camera and gps. While they may seem to work, their voltage could be lowered as they try to charge the same battery that they get their power from and they may not work well if at all. Yes, I know they use the pogo pins on the side to draw power, but that still comes from the battery.

Perhaps a circuit that would break if the additional USB power supply was accessed would prevent these problems as well.

It's all possible and could remain quite small if done right. But cost/benefit analysis may conclude that it's better off not being done.

EDIT:
I just checked the original post on the acidmods forums and there seem to be no answers to any of these questions yet except that you can still transfer files (which was pretty obvious considering that USB chargers have existed for a while).