PDA

View Full Version : CNET editor says DS for girls, PSP for adults

Shrygue
April 10th, 2007, 18:20
via PSP Fanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/04/10/cnet-editor-says-ds-for-girls-psp-for-adults/)

David Carnoy, executive editor of CNET (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6724108-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt), has written an interesting piece about the appeal of Nintendo DS to females. Girls seem to love Nintendo's handheld, and they help make a large portion of Nintendo's current audience. For example, one CNET editor's girlfriend "liked the concept of the touch screen ... She thought it was more interactive than what you had with the PSP."

Certainly, women can enjoy PSP (see picture), but it's clear that PSP is largely targeted towards males. But is that really a problem? As Carnoy points out, focusing on this demographic has created a large library of games that can entertain an audience that simply won't be satisfied by the DS's numerous casual games: "Fact is, the number of really good titles for the DS is actually pretty thin, especially if you happen to be over 21 and don't worship at the altar of Mario or Pokemon. If you're looking to play more 'adult' games with any sort of backbone, the PSP is a far better choice with a much stronger game library."

Like almost every other analyst out there, Carnoy believes that PSP can better attract a wider audience with a redesigned handheld. The problem appears to be Sony's reluctance: "I wouldn't be surprised if I saw the DS Extra Lite before I saw the next iteration of the PSP."

PLZKLLME0080
April 10th, 2007, 18:24
that seems pretty true. DS has that puppy game, and PSP has Grand Theft Auto.

vanle
April 10th, 2007, 18:36
I've heard so many girls in stores going "oooh.. it's so cute, the psp is so ugly, I wanna play with the dogs...." ****ing shit...

xg917
April 10th, 2007, 18:52
DS, for little kids, PSP for cool ppl. case closed

lemoe
April 10th, 2007, 19:02
DS, for little kids, PSP for cool ppl. case closed

Hahahaha....Lame -_-

Cokemusic
April 10th, 2007, 19:03
I don't agree with that , my sisters and her friends prefer my pink PSP to my brothers DS Lite but then the colour might have something to do with that.

One thing I am sure about the DS is that it's very dorky I felt so retarded using that plastic stylus pen against the DS lite the first time i used it, gameplay...meh , graphics meh , overall respect for the console out of 10 it would be a fraction.

Basil Zero
April 10th, 2007, 20:25
Hmmm.....DS for girls, hardly, of everyone I know who is a gamer, all my friends who own a DS are male....than again that could be my lack of friends who are female..which the number is......lets just to keep it myself..anyways...

PSP for adults...true...
DS for girls...maybe true....

Whatever the case, who cares, a game system is a game system.

I bought my psp 2 years ago coming this may, and on its anniversary i'll be getting a DS...woot!!!!

Pokemon Diamond and Final Fantasy III FTW!!!!

Veskgar
April 10th, 2007, 20:32
The black DS Lite is what I have and I'd have no problem pulling it out in public. The white and pink DS Lite are better suited for girls and kids though.

Either way, the DS Lite is a neat little system. It just doesn't compare to the PSP in my opinion.

The 2 platforms, although both portable, are vastly different.

Buddy4point0
April 10th, 2007, 20:37
psp is just overall better. most kids just cant figure out how to unlock a psp's tru power with homebrew

CSPERFECTGT
April 10th, 2007, 21:01
girls!what do they know about video games???
i think they prefer ds because its design is more elegant.they cannot understand the brutal power of psp.anyway,i am happy for that,my girlfriend never touches my psp.she has long nails,she could scratch
the screen;) .

wolfpack
April 10th, 2007, 21:31
the only reason why i got a ds is cuz of castlevania games, yes i love castlevania that much.

PLZKLLME0080
April 10th, 2007, 21:36
the only reason why i got a ds is cuz of castlevania games, yes i love castlevania that much.

i would only get a DS if it was a PSP.

firedragon_jing
April 10th, 2007, 21:58
Only reason I would get a DS is if a DS Golden Sun comes out or if something really cool comes out for connection to the Wii. The DS is not a bad system though, it has more game options and a different way to play than any other major game system, but it lacks the power, potential, and graphics the PSP has.

Of course if the PSP was never hacked, it would be the worst system out there with only a few great titles to choose from, I swear I have only bought 3 game UMDs for the PSP, and will at most have only ten by the end of it's lifespan. Homebrew saved the PSP and made it the best handheld ever made.

Darkpaladin
April 10th, 2007, 22:41
Homebrew saved the PSP and made it the best handheld ever made.
Thats not entirely true, homebrew has caused the sales of PSP games to decline because of its ISO loading capabilities which in turn made developers less inclined to consder the PSP as a place to develop their games.

Cokemusic
April 10th, 2007, 23:00
Thats not entirely true, homebrew has caused the sales of PSP games to decline because of its ISO loading capabilities which in turn made developers less inclined to consder the PSP as a place to develop their games.

ISO capabities hindered sales but not as much as your led to believe , the sales figures of Sony UMD's wouldn't be impressive either way , look at the ps2 for example loads of people copied PS2 games illegaly using the PS2 hard drive but it didn't affect the platforms ability to shift platinum titles alot.

mavsman4457
April 10th, 2007, 23:43
The black DS Lite is what I have and I'd have no problem pulling it out in public. The white and pink DS Lite are better suited for girls and kids though.

Either way, the DS Lite is a neat little system. It just doesn't compare to the PSP in my opinion.

The 2 platforms, although both portable, are vastly different.

The black DS looks like a sweet beast to me, almost like the PSP. Oh my goodness I want my PSP back, aaaahhhh!

kcajblue
April 10th, 2007, 23:54
that cnet guy is an idiot.
DS is for people who like games that are unique.
PSP is for people who like games and want to play music and videos on a handheld.

and i have both a ds and psp.

dark heart
April 11th, 2007, 00:32
lol, yeah we got an IT guy at our school who gets funny looks from everyone cos he plays Mario ds.

SSaxdude
April 11th, 2007, 01:07
Am I the only sane one on this forum? The DS is NOT just a kiddie system. I own one and I love it. I also own a PSP and love it too. I know MANY guys who own a DS. Just because it has less violent but more innovative games doesn't make it kiddie. Seriously, calling the DS or Wii a kiddie console just means you can't think of a real reason to criticize that console, which in turn makes you the immature one.

emuking
April 11th, 2007, 01:31
so im a girl holy ****ing shit
ds is for gamers
psp is for people who waste money on sh1t/retro gamers/hackers
psp has sh1t dumbed down ports of ps2 games, oh and for adults, not even adults buy it

Cokemusic
April 11th, 2007, 01:50
which in turn makes you the immature one.

The ds is a kidies console this is especialy evident in the original DS's apearance and feel. Anyone that say's that Wii is not immature as you say but is quite the oposite ( their very reason for discrediting the console)

When you see games like this
http://wiigamerental.com/images/games/wii_sports.jpg
compared to
http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/games/psp/grand_theft_auto_vice_stories/small/grand_theft_auto_vice_stories_006.jpg

Please don't tell me that it's not a kidies console , yes Nintendo are trying to target everybody but it's difficult to build a console/handheld that accomodates the interest of all age groups , any matture element to the console isn't apparent to me anyway.

so im a girl holy ****ing shit
ds is for gamers
psp is for people who waste money on sh1t/retro gamers/hackers
psp has sh1t dumbed down ports of ps2 games, oh and for adults, not even adults buy it

DS is for the mature gamer eh ? lol....

devdj
April 11th, 2007, 02:37
well seeing that i got an original DS when it first came out it was grand at the start but now with the DS lite the pink and white versions look like sex toys to me while the big bulky original DS looks like an evil dick clamp by the way i'm a guy who just loves pussy.

emuking
April 11th, 2007, 06:39
The ds is a kidies console this is especialy evident in the original DS's apearance and feel. Anyone that say's that Wii is not immature as you say but is quite the oposite ( their very reason for discrediting the console)

When you see games like this
http://wiigamerental.com/images/games/wii_sports.jpg
compared to
http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/games/psp/grand_theft_auto_vice_stories/small/grand_theft_auto_vice_stories_006.jpg

Please don't tell me that it's not a kidies console , yes Nintendo are trying to target everybody but it's difficult to build a console/handheld that accomodates the interest of all age groups , any matture element to the console isn't apparent to me anyway.

DS is for the mature gamer eh ? lol....

im mature :p
but really i was just messing im not that stupid in real life im just saying that other than two people i have never seen anyone with a psp its always ds,ds,ds,ds and varies from different numbers in boys and girls from what i always see

ish420ism
April 11th, 2007, 09:41
The girls can play with my wiener dog:thumbup:

BurningRage
April 11th, 2007, 13:53
the psp also has immature games, but it's just a minority. i mean, look at megaman powered up (what I truely love btw). so you cannot say psp is more mature as the ds.
the ds is easier to handle and that's probably why they say girls prefer it (which seems to be true as my girlfriend also uses a ds but doesn't get along with my psp)
but does that game look mature? or think of loco roco or something like that =)

Cokemusic
April 11th, 2007, 18:14
the psp also has immature games, but it's just a minority. i mean, look at megaman powered up (what I truely love btw). so you cannot say psp is more mature as the ds.
the ds is easier to handle and that's probably why they say girls prefer it (which seems to be true as my girlfriend also uses a ds but doesn't get along with my psp)
but does that game look mature? or think of loco roco or something like that =)

Your contradicting yourself you said
the psp also has immature games , but it's a minority therfore presenting examples of PSP's "minority" immature games only support my point further , the PSP is for the maturer audience.

It's very apparent that alot if not most of the DS's most succesfull games have a kiddy theme to it Pokemon Dungeon,Ranger,Nintendogs,warrio touch etc and list goes on.

SSaxdude
April 12th, 2007, 02:17
Wii Sports is NOT a kids game, it is for EVERYBODY. Just because it is non violent doesn't mean it is for kids only. Calling the non violent Wii Sports a kids game is like calling Lumines a kids game. The Wii already has several M rated games like Far Cry, Splinter Cell, and The Godfather. And how could I forget, Resident Evil 4 is coming to the Wii. I know people in their 20s who love the Wii, so are they supposed to be immature because they like the Wii?