PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky public library to carry video games

wraggster
April 11th, 2007, 00:25
The Campbell County Public Library in Kentucky recently announced it will carry video games alongside those paper-bound book things with words on the inside. Three local branches will house games from each of the three big systems -- Xbox 360, Wii, and PlayStation 3. People have been requesting video games for years, a branch manager said, so the library did some research (Did they have to go to another library to do it? Zing!) and found that a large portion of their patrons (people in their early 30s) also happen to be gamers.

Expect to see titles such as SpongeBob SquarePants and the Kingdom Hearts series, as well as sports games like Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007. Each branch will have a ratings board to help parents keep potentially naughty games away from their children. And don't even think about Grand Theft Auto, as the library "won't be collecting the violent games with the harsh language".

via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/10/kentucky-public-library-to-carry-video-games/)

Gizmo356
April 11th, 2007, 02:27
man this sounds cool cant wait until a libraly near my house has this no longer will i need to rent games wen i could just borow them lol

Broadus
April 11th, 2007, 03:04
Wow, video games in libraries makes so much sense.
NO, I'M KIDDING, IT'S STUPID.
But seriously, folks
Why are people asking for video games at a library? It says they were getting requests, like idiots were asking, "Hey, you guys have an awful lot of books. You wouldn't happen to have any video games, would you?"

Joe88
April 11th, 2007, 05:35
But seriously, folks
Why are people asking for video games at a library? It says they were getting requests, like idiots were asking, "Hey, you guys have an awful lot of books. You wouldn't happen to have any video games, would you?"

the NYC public library carries DVD movies (not educational) movies like SAW III and such O.o
none the less you get to rent it free for 1 week :D

Katmandoo2
April 11th, 2007, 05:35
Our county library branch has about 20 different libraries across the city. Besides having a very extensive book selection, they also have hundreds of DVD's and video games for the following (PC, Gamecube, PS1, PS2, Xbox and maybe GBA). Usually I just check each week online to see what is new in their system (it's cataloged by month entered into the system and format). I place my holds and hope to get it soon.

In fact today I got Battlestations Midway and 4 newer DVD's I had on hold. I haven't rented a DVD for probably 5 years. I don't have a PS2, but of the the video games, the quantity they have would only be surpassed by the amount of PC games. They have easily over 300 PS2 games.

As far as how well it works, rarely are the items not returned. Over the years they do get a bit scratched. The only problem I ever had was I was the second person to get Guild Wars. When the library got it, they didn't realize the serial would only work with one registered user, so the first guy to check it out basically is the only one who can play it. But that's the only problem I've had. It's great.

rebuiltearth
April 11th, 2007, 07:01
This is AWESOME news, I freaking like in the town mentioned. They already have a huge movie selection, now I guess the library is gonna be my favorite place.

ish420ism
April 11th, 2007, 09:54
I think it's wrong for a library to carry anything that isn't educational. But heck, I'd get a library card just for this. Hypocritically minded, I be

The King
April 11th, 2007, 12:48
I think it's wrong for a library to carry anything that isn't educational. But heck, I'd get a library card just for this. Hypocritically minded, I be
so wat ur saying is that video games arent educational?

well there are a few games that are like Call Of Duty's those games are based on actions that happend during the wow 1 and 2 and ur saying thats not educational

and u use ur brain every time u pick up a new game as in u learn new stuf making more connection patters in ur head

so games arent educational u say i bet money that theres a few there that actualy can prove you wrong

quzar
April 11th, 2007, 20:20

So they shouldn't carry fiction books?

By that same stroke I find it stupid that they won't carry games with violence when they carry both books and movies that have violent themes.

ish420ism
April 11th, 2007, 20:35
Fine, you guys got me there. I just haven't been in a library for a very, very long time. Ten years almost.

Dull Blade
April 11th, 2007, 21:12
But seriously, folks

Who cares if it is stupid, you'd be stupid for refusing free video game rentals. but I do agree that the people who are requesting them probably aren't smart. But if they're for offer, I'm all for it.

jdnation
April 12th, 2007, 03:02
Libraries usually have children's computer games over here that they can play when they visit. And games can be educational.

I'd agree about holding off on offering violent M games for now, as with all these concerns about underaged kids getting them from stores libraries would be smart not to get involved in that shit.

Basil Zero
April 12th, 2007, 15:54
wow

hope they do something like that where I live