PDA

View Full Version : Wii outselling rivals

wraggster
April 11th, 2007, 19:08
via eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=75161)

A rise in the number of Wii units dished out to retailers has lead to chocolate-like popularity of the console this Easter, with Nintendo telling GamesIndustry.biz it had sold more than 25,000 last week in the UK alone.

Leaked Chart-Track figures showed that 17,000 PlayStation 3 units were shifted during the same period, while the figure for Xbox 360 stood at 11,000. A spokesperson for Chart-Track declined to comment on the data.

According to a Nintendo spokesperson, "Last week was Wii's third biggest sales week since launch. Everything we are shipping, we are selling."

The spokesperson conceded that the figure was boosted by the availability of more stock than usual last week, stating, "Sales in previous weeks weren't as strong as 25k. More units are shipped some weeks than others."

However, he added, "We are making regular shipments, and we are consistent."

The spokesperson went on to say that the Easter holiday was a major factor in the high figure for Wii units sold. "Easter was the catalyst for the spike in sales," he said. "It's a traditional gifting week and that was definitely a contributing factor, along with the fact that there was more stock than usual."

It's still not clear when the Wii stock shortages will end - as the spokesperson observed, "Demand for the console is clearly huge and is exceeding supply." However, he added, "We are doing everything we can to get as much stock out there as possible."

ish420ism
April 11th, 2007, 19:25
There is definitely more demand than supply. I've seen a few ps3's at wallmart. But no wii's. You just can't beat the price of the wii.

Sorry guys. my browser is acting up. I was not trying to leave multiple posts.

robbytherob
April 11th, 2007, 19:36
Not seen one Wii on a shelf yet.But PS3's are easy to get.....must say something.
Go on Wii!!!!

Demolition49
April 11th, 2007, 19:55
wii are the champions lol.

alienanthropologist
April 11th, 2007, 21:46
I have at least 3 friends who are becoming quite frustrated that they haven't been able to get a Wii and they've been looking for longer than a month!

JKKDARK
April 11th, 2007, 23:37
It's normal. Nintendo is still kicking Sony ass :D

-Xandu-
April 12th, 2007, 00:20
Everybody's waiting for either the Playstation 3 to get hacked, till they get an HDTV or when the price drops. The games are pretty expensive besides the HDTV. On the other hand, Wii doesn't need an HDTV plus it's already hacked :).

Skateblind
April 12th, 2007, 00:55
Im waiting till I can afford it nothing else. The Wii has been hacked because its such a simple system, but the PS3 will one day be hacked as well, which means lots of powerful homebrew and emulation. The Wii is aimed at people who know nothing about gaming, I know a lot about gaming and using that knowledge, I decided that the the Wii is a cheap toy pretending to be one of the big boys. They couldn't keep up with Sony or Microsoft, the Gamecube is the best example of that.

masterpaul
April 12th, 2007, 02:45
SONY WHY BOTHER?

YOU WILL BE LOSING MORE MONEY THEN MAKING IT.

Go Wii

p.s. Im still waiting for online, for my brand new Wii

Shadowblind
April 12th, 2007, 03:27
Many people like the PS3.

No wait--

Many people like the GAMES for the PS3. Most people I know who have the PS3 aren't too impressed with it, especially for the money they threw out for it. I haven't played my Wii in a while, but that isn't because I don't like it, theres a shortage of good Wii games. But just wait till SSBB comes out... :)

werpu
April 12th, 2007, 07:54
Im waiting till I can afford it nothing else. The Wii has been hacked because its such a simple system, but the PS3 will one day be hacked as well, which means lots of powerful homebrew and emulation. The Wii is aimed at people who know nothing about gaming, I know a lot about gaming and using that knowledge, I decided that the the Wii is a cheap toy pretending to be one of the big boys. They couldn't keep up with Sony or Microsoft, the Gamecube is the best example of that.
Problem is that the gamecube back when it was introduced was the strongest console, and it remained that way until the xbox came, it had the problem of being a very powerful console with a toy image, not having dvd did not help matters either back then, when dvd systems were expensive.

redsyrup
April 12th, 2007, 09:55
I'm sick of waiting for supply to catch up with demand. I've been looking for months and I'm not buying a bundle. I see that as robbery.

"More units are shipped some weeks than others." -- This means they got total controll over what they send out. How much longer is this going to last?

-Xandu-
April 12th, 2007, 11:00
Plus, Wii has the better games. New ideas. PS3, same old, same old, just with better graphics..

Paradok
April 12th, 2007, 12:01

Wii fans: waiting until Nintendo can produce enough units to fill the massive demand for the console so that they can finally find and buy one

PS3 fans: waiting until they can scrimp and save and/or until Sony halves the price of the console so that they can actually afford to buy the PS3 units that have been sitting on the shelves for months

Owned.

Y'know what's really funny? By the time Sony drops the PS3's price to make it reasonable, you'll be able to buy a PC with similar specs for the same price. Then the only real reason to buy one would be to be able to avoid having to use Vista.

Basil Zero
April 12th, 2007, 15:51
I work at Fry's Electronics here in Texas

The Wii has been sold out for 3 weeks now, no shippings.

PS3 sales are low

Xbox 360 sales are lower than PS3 sales lol

So Nintendo obviously is owning both SOny and Microsoft.

and their gonna get some additional points once i get my wii later in the year and a ds next month