PDA

View Full Version : Blowing on the DS sucks (or: the huff-and-puff games)

wraggster
April 11th, 2007, 19:25
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/11/blowing-on-the-ds-sucks-or-the-huff-and-puff-games/)

MTV News' Stephen Totilo has discovered the first video game innovation he's ever hated: "blow control" on the Nintendo DS. When he was commanded to literally exhale air at the system's built-in microphone in WarioWare: Master of Disguise, Totilo decided, "I don't see the point. What I see is embarrassment at having to hyperventilate over my DS while riding the subway." That seems like the point to us.

Press the Buttons' Matthew Green agrees with Totilo, and calls Diddy Kong Racing DS the worst offender of the "huff-and-puff" games. "I did so much huffing and puffing to try and beat the clock that I made myself dizzy and had to go lie down for a while." From DS hyperventilation to Wii elbow, Nintendo really loves making gamers get in touch with their doughy, neglected bodies. Wii Yoga, anyone?

StealthCP
April 11th, 2007, 20:40
I see what they mean :) Too bad though, if I were them I would just decide not to play those games at that time. IMO it gets you more interacted with games, and I see no reason to change it based on a few people's problems :D Though that is my opinion.

kaffie
April 11th, 2007, 20:51
...and shouting "Objection!" in Phoenix Wright or calling to your dog (mine was called Shagger) in Nintendogs was not an issue?

toymin80r
April 11th, 2007, 22:08
my brother blows on the microphone too hard on MK to blow up balloons, but it doesn't work all the time. I blow on the mic like if you were exhaling, and it always works, just dont try too hard.

saicrazyfire
April 12th, 2007, 01:47
you can always "press" the mic so that the end result would be the same as if you were blowing on it. you can also try rubbing the mic or anything that would create even the slightest sound. i used it in mario kart, bomberman...

Pilot_51
April 12th, 2007, 03:31
my brother blows on the microphone too hard on MK to blow up balloons, but it doesn't work all the time. I blow on the mic like if you were exhaling, and it always works, just dont try too hard.Yup, I find that most people try too hard and I need to tell them to blow softly. The mic picks up the blowing much better in a soft breeze than when it's going through a hurricane. It's the same thing with Wii, people just aren't used to such physical interaction with games, so they overdo it hoping to get better results and only getting worse results and frustration/fatigue.

malganis
November 11th, 2007, 05:04
Hmm... What does this remind me of?
-Thinks back to sister shouting STFU...-

hmmm... can't think of it right now >.>

wiggy fuzz
November 11th, 2007, 13:46
it's funny, because i was playing mario kart ds (a balloon battle on the train), and happened to have the train window open. everytime i stopped the balloons self-inflated, which i thought was seriously useful

so the solution to when you get to a level where you have to blow into the mic? simple - hop on your train and open the windows