PDA

View Full Version : Fans dispel PSP misconceptions

Shrygue
April 11th, 2007, 23:11
via PSP Fanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/04/11/fans-dispel-psp-misconceptions/)

PSP games are ports: FALSE
PSP lacks good games: FALSE
PSP games have bad controls: FALSE

Fans are sick of the PSP misinformation that many DS fans are spreading on the Internet. Both Sony and Nintendo fanboys are responsible for immature, irrational thinking that's based on half-truths and lies. To combat this growing ignorance, PSP fans have taken the liberty to create an entire website devoted to debunking common PSP misconceptions. True to our namesake, we'd like to salute the people behind "thepsphasnogames (http://xevon.awardspace.com/thepsphasnogames)," and hope they continue to fight the good fight. We know that once people have a chance to actually play the system, and learn more about its true capabilities, they too would be as enamored as we are.

Leave feedback via comments.

tophead420
April 11th, 2007, 23:33
Arent most of the games for psp ports or am I just not understanding this post. Most games i have are ports of ps2 games

Skateblind
April 11th, 2007, 23:58
I think they mean direct ports, they want to show that because a game is based on a ps2 title, doesn't mean its a port. Like the GTA, MetalGear, Ratchet, and others. Although the GTA's are almost ports since they have the same cities and so on, but they all have something that the previous games didn't, so technically they are not ports either. I think they should do the same with the DS, they probably hate it, but it would be a good to see a site like that show some respect for the other side.

#EDIT# I just read the whole site and their argument is that there is more original content than ports, but I think my point is just as valid, maybe. #EDIT#

steve520
April 12th, 2007, 00:03
i hate when the freakin DS people dis on the PSP

tophead420
April 12th, 2007, 00:31
lol ye i hate that to but lookat it this way at least we dont look gay walking around with a ds in our hands lmao

frmariam
April 12th, 2007, 00:47
Sorry but the DS boys have a point... I had a functional PSP for more than a year and a half and now is semi bricked (and I can't seem to fix it even though it has an UP! It's heartbreaking since I only got it chipped for it to be unbrickable and last forever...). I really liked it and miss it dearly for the emus, homebrew games and apps, and some games (WipeOut, Yu-Gi-Oh, Lumines...).

However though I own one (well technically I still have it though the chances I can get it to go ingame and play normaly are very slim... but sometimes it works :)) I too can see it's flaws!

Yes there are few good games and too many of the popular ones are indeed ports of games from the PSX/PS2 or other platforms (either crippled or on steroids) or are available for home systems... But it does have some great games (could be more though...). Also few games are exclusive for this platform to make me preffer buying games for it rather than my PS2 (though some of the titles PS2 attract me in as a portable version). I waited for more than a year to see PSP exclusive "pearls" only to see them ported to other systems (GTA: LCS for the fans... I got bored of the series some time ago). The DS also has lots of ports for that matter.

Also for a handheld there aren't that many funny games around. I mean, I loved the gameboy for it's simple and fun games. I could play it while riding the bus or during small breaks and have a blast. Not many of these titles available for the PSP while if you look at the DS...

Also the controls do suck! I often get my hands numb if I play for a long time (this only happeened when I was a newb in the n64 world...). The analog is awful (playing PoP Revelations was a pain because the analog is real bad... also doing some moves in Tekken DR is way harder than in Tekken 5 because of the dpad, the position of the analog or the shape of the handheld...).

Some other flaws I see are in the hardware and UMD protection... Dirt gets inside the PSP real easy through the buttons gaps... Also the UMD should be totally closed like the Minidiscs... Or at least small plastic boxes should come bundled when you buy the game (you just can't put them in you pocket like you would with a cartridge). The DS is more robust and suitable for outdoors usage (and isn't this the point of a handheld?).

Don't get me wrong I really appreciated my PSP but Sony could've made it so much better...

DarthPaul
April 12th, 2007, 00:48
lol ye i hate that to but lookat it this way at least we dont look gay walking around with a ds in our hands lmao

Lol so true.

Anyways Nintendo users are just jealous about us Sony users. Because we're mature and we can afford or buy a Sony console.

steve520
April 12th, 2007, 00:56
i freakin love my PSP its da bomb and your right darthpaul there just jealous of our awesome PSP's

Totalitarian
April 12th, 2007, 01:00
The day I listen to non-sensual fanboys is the day my brain makes it onto the organ transplant list.

Buddy4point0
April 12th, 2007, 01:05
the psp rocks and it whips everything else. point blank

BrokenHaiku
April 12th, 2007, 01:14
To be honest, I get cramps from using the analog stick for any extended period of time. The position could really need improving, the texture, size and shape of the button too. And as for games, I'm not going to just blindly go fanboy here, we DO have a lack of good games compared to the DS. Having said that, I'm not getting a DS, nor do I have one.

hatebreeder
April 12th, 2007, 01:26
i play my ds more. therefore i like it more.

DimensionT
April 12th, 2007, 01:39
Anyone saying "my handheld is better then yours" or talking about how gay someone looks playing whatever system, shouldn't have the right to consider themselves gamers...

Being a gamer is about just that, playing games.

It shouldn't matter how "beefed up" YOUR system is compaired to others. It shouldn't matter how much of a douche it makes you look like when you play it. It shouldn't matter how much blood is in the game, or how old you have to be to buy it. All that matters is having fun.

So quit being a bunch of "System racists" and go play some freakin' games! :thumbup:

Balthasar00
April 12th, 2007, 01:42
I bought I PSP principaly for homebrew and Pop emulator. I am agree that PSP don't have ''must have'' games. My kind of games are rpgs and action/adventure stuff. Didn't played metal gear acid yet. I feel that the psp is cruely missing some good rpgs. I am agree with BrokenHaiku, the PSP isin't enough ergonomic, too flat, left and circle button and joystick aren't well situated.. too much near of corners. Anyway.. this a great piece of hardware,

Also, Ds emulators for PC aren't far from perfect. Wich mean that I won't throw more money in handleds.

SSaxdude
April 12th, 2007, 02:09

I hate it when PSP people call the DS kiddie.

The King
April 12th, 2007, 02:12
well said
i totaly agrew with u man the people here are being dum

Cap'n 1time
April 12th, 2007, 02:16
I think the PSP's controls are a touch uncomfortable and I avoid using the analog stick as much as possible. The games arnt all ports.. but there is indeed a lack of software. I havnt bought a psp game in about a year...

devmas
April 12th, 2007, 03:01
Haha, I like how people nowadays, if they want to prove a point, they set up web sites. Like that web site that, for the most part, is fighting the fact that the PS3 is a failure. Now, we have one fighting the fact that the PSP is not as bad as people seem.

Now, I will try to make this short:

- I am a Nintendo fan, but I *ahem* try to have open opinions on everything.

- I am known in my school to downgrade and hack PSPs all the time, and I own a DS (but no PSP)...

- I have had a million PSPs, and to me, they are absolutely worthless if they are not homebrew capable. In fact, having a non-homebrew PSP on me makes me feel I have wasted space.

- I own a DS, and I don't know, but I really like games on it. It seems more like a "game system" than anything else, I guess.

- I have played many PSP games, and I don't like absolutely any of them (though I do wish to try certain games like Daxter). I used to like Liberty City Stories, but then I played San Andreas...

- I don't hate the PSP's controls, but as for the analog stick, to me, it is more useful for games like Contra, where you shoot in all directions. In 3D games, I have difficulty pushing the analog stick halfway, i.e., "walking" instead of "running" the character.

- In the PSPs defense, ports are not all that bad. For the DS, I would love a Super Smash Bros., or a
remake of the N64 3D Zeldas. However, for a port to be successful, it needs to be a port of a critically acclaimed game, I would think. Plus, it needs added, substantial content to the remake.

Nocuddle
April 12th, 2007, 03:28
PSP fanboy, DS fanboy, PS3 fanboy, Wii fanboy....

Same sh!t different smells.

Adrenalin
April 12th, 2007, 07:52
see my post a few topics down

if u counted all the articles about how psp is better than ds or how ds fanboys are kiddies and full of bullshit, you'd find that they outnumber similar arguments on the ds's side 3 to 1.

stop telling us we diss you all the time, you diss us more.

Skateblind
April 12th, 2007, 13:08
The DS is designed for kids and women PRIMARILY and you all know that the PSP was designed mainly for adults. The controls and style of games that get released on each prove that. I would never be able to feel mature playing a DS and cant imagine being seen with one. I feel enough of a dork as it is, whipping the PSP out, but can you imagine me going to the pub and playing on my DS, now that would be very sad.:rofl:

Shtroodle
April 12th, 2007, 13:23
The DS is designed for kids and women PRIMARILY and you all know that the PSP was designed mainly for adults. The controls and style of games that get released on each prove that. I would never be able to feel mature playing a DS and cant imagine being seen with one. I feel enough of a dork as it is, whipping the PSP out, but can you imagine me going to the pub and playing on my DS, now that would be very sad.:rofl:

Wow! What a mature post! Teach me how to be all big and grown up like you are....

Or rather don't.

aznTerz
April 12th, 2007, 14:08
there are pretty good psp only games.....

Prasoc
April 12th, 2007, 15:34
lol this post turned into a flame war between ds + psp. if your on ds's side, get back to your ds forums -.-

Basil Zero
April 12th, 2007, 15:48
Arent most of the games for psp ports or am I just not understanding this post. Most games i have are ports of ps2 games

Not really, dont the psp and ps2 ver come out same time?

Chuthbert
April 12th, 2007, 16:11
Meh, fanboys can say what they like about the PSP's commerical games. I can play KOF at full speed on my handheld and they can't.

Stratagus
April 12th, 2007, 17:19
I don't know why people just keep dissing eachother's favorite portable consoles or home consoles. Each one of 'em have their good and bad sides.
Even though I play my PSP (a japanese ver. I had before US release) much more than my DS, I think the DS is as good as the PSP but in some other aspect of gameplay and concept.

Without talking about the homebrews, PSP has its advantages on the visual artistic side of their 3D games (for gamers who like CGs and "Higher Res" graphics). Of course, PSP has its nice 3D graphics but sometimes I do think they lack in "originality", which DS has with their concept of gaming with the stylus and dual screen (for gamers who prefer gameplay over graphics).
So no matter what people say, it's all just a matter of personal tastes and opinions.

dgbbad
April 12th, 2007, 19:21
ill go ahead and say that yes...i play my psp much more than my ds, and if i had to choose one or the other i'd choose my psp. but MOST CERTAINLY not for any reason other than homebrew. psp has very few titles that i am even remotely interested in. i have g6 lite for my ds so i can just download ds and gba roms and play em on it, and i have put even more games on it than my psp has homebrew. meaning the ds has better games to its name (IMO). but as i said before the homebrew is what makes the difference to me. SNES & PS1 are my favorite consoles ever, both are easily accessible portably via psp. but i dont understand why people have to diss either, just get both. they are both kick ass systems.

DimensionT
April 12th, 2007, 22:19
Everyone saying the PSP is a better system because of homebrew should look at the GP2X. It can do pretty much everything the PSP can homebrew wise. Plus, it's cheaper, comes with the SDK and you don't have to worry about firmware updates.

Final Fantasy VII GP2Psx:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpuWmFxg_c0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpuWmFxg_c0

Pretty impressive if you ask me. Yes, the PS1 emulator for PSP is far better... But it's made by Sony, and who knows Playstation better then them?

nanch
April 12th, 2007, 23:39
Bullshit! The PSP has some great games! Densha de Go! Pocket and... uh, um... hmm.. no, actually they're totally correct - there aren't any decent games for the PSP, least not outside of Japan anyway. Meh, if it weren't for Pops I'd have never bought one in the first place.

Joe88
April 13th, 2007, 00:39
Everyone saying the PSP is a better system because of homebrew should look at the GP2X. It can do pretty much everything the PSP can homebrew wise. Plus, it's cheaper, comes with the SDK and you don't have to worry about firmware updates.

Final Fantasy VII GP2Psx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpuWmFxg_c0

Pretty impressive if you ask me. Yes, the PS1 emulator for PSP is far better... But it's made by Sony, and who knows Playstation better then them?

it only runs @ 8 FPS on average

the_eternal_dark
April 13th, 2007, 06:19

Hmmm, women aren't adults? Wow, the world is changing....

If you question your sexuality by what you play with... Lol.

Yeah, the PSP is more powerful, shinier, and has a bigger screen, but damn, the battery life, the controls, the UMDs, and the fanboys kinda dim it a bit.

Oh, do you by chance play Nintendo games on your PSP? I bet you do....

(oh no, James is turning into a fanboy!!! I am a fanboy. I like them both, quit bashing you f*cks)

partyhard
April 13th, 2007, 16:48
Okay everybody practically on this site are saying PSP owns. May I ask all of you if you didn't have Dark_Alex Homebrew firmware. Would you really think PSP is hot shit? I like the PSP because of the Homebrew capabilities if I just had a normal PSP I would be amazingly disappointed in the product.

DimensionT
April 13th, 2007, 23:22
it only runs @ 8 FPS on average

Did you watch the video for more then 30 seconds? The only part it dips below 10 FPS is when it's playing video (the train entering the screen).

When he's walking around, the framerate's at 19-25, and in battle it's around the same. So I don't really know where you got that 8 FPS average...

This video showing a battle on a newer version (BETA 1.8) never goes below 30 fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv2pRYZ3eKc&mode=related&search="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv2pRYZ3eKc&mode=related&search=

gdf
April 14th, 2007, 00:33
sony fanboys=retards.

i love my psp, mainly for homebrew, but damn some of you guys need to wake up. you can't say "they are jealous of sony". how exactly? i'd rather play mariokart than wipeout, rather play zelda than gta and rather play mario bros than daxter. psp games are getting better, but i don't really think there are arguments about the ds' commercial games being far superior. ok the psp has good functionality but that is what you pay for. ds is for casual gamers and the hardcore much like the wii, the games ilustrate that. look at sony's strategy in handheld then look at nintendo's. compare them to their new home consoles. it's the same!
sony: big flashy and overpriced with lots of slightly pointless extra features.
nintendo: interactive through motion and cheap as chips.

hmmm...don't get me wrong i like psp, just so happens that i'm not quite as enamoured with fanboys. don't call me a nintendo fanboy either, i don't own a ds. getting a wii soon tho, then i will have that + 360. OOOOOHHH!! that anger the fanboys of sony eh?
lol i'm PUMPED.

kurofox4444
April 14th, 2007, 02:23
I'm not exactly a fan of either system.

The DS has some creative games and the 2d ones are the best in my opinion, but the DS can be very unconfortable if played for too long... but wait, problem solved, the DS Light comes out... only problem is they boosted the colors so much it hurts your eyes to play games... and speaking of games... its hard to find many good ones... most seem to be for younger players (I bought it before too many games where out so I was hopefull there would be some good ones)...

The PSP is good if you can run homebrew, but I havent found any good comercial games exept for maybe the Powerstone Collection (used to play those games on Sega Dreamcast)... I do like what capcom is doing with their 3d remakes of clasic 2d games, some of wich I played when I was littler... but the PSP seems to be even more unconfortable then the DS... I had to return my first psp since most of the buttons where non-responsive or getting stuck, now I settled with a somewhat non-responsive buttoned PSP... my freind has the same problem but with the L and R triggers mostly...

So basicly I think both systems needed to be more thought out... but they still have their good sides...

(If there was ever a Trackmania for either system, my rating for them would go way up:D ... too bad the chances of that happening is 0:( ... also... why does sony stuff have to be so expensive...)

DimensionT
April 14th, 2007, 06:01
sony fanboys=retards.

:rofl: Kind of harsh, but funny none the less.

(If there was ever a Trackmania for either system, my rating for them would go way up:D ... too bad the chances of that happening is 0:( ... also... why does sony stuff have to be so expensive...)

Trackmania would be awesome! I've spent many hours buliding tracks on the PC versions. If they made it for either of the handhelds, the DS would probably better just for the fact that you could use the stylus for track editing.

I love my PSP, and my DS... But I can honestly say I've spent far more time with the latter. Both Castlevanias had me hooked, Metroid Prime had me hooked, Megaman ZX had me hooked, Final Fantasy III had me hooked. I've yet to play a PSP game that could hold my attention like those did.