PDA

View Full Version : Super Paper Mario Bricks Modded Consoles?

wraggster
April 12th, 2007, 00:30
Rumours from several sites are that Super Paper Mario is bricking Wii Consoles, this is only happening because some users are trying to run a US System update on a Non USA Console.

You have been warned

paul1991
April 12th, 2007, 00:32
Is there a wii update included with the gAME?

ryan2006
April 12th, 2007, 02:38
dam i wanted to import it aswell

pckid2
April 12th, 2007, 12:07
Don't worry, I've been playing it all morning.

The update wont brick your Wii if you have the newest firmware, 2.1E (but there was a new one this morning for the internet channel, I updated with that update afterwards and it still works so it should be fine).

-Xandu-
April 12th, 2007, 13:58
To clear this up, people who have been importing games are using a region-free patcher, which allows you to play PAL games on an NTSC console.

Inorder to play Super Paper Mario, you have to upgrade to the latest firmware. Using different region, the NTSC Wii updates to a PAL firmware and vice versa, which "bricks".

alfatreze
April 12th, 2007, 14:27
Mmm, I always keep my pal wii updated, when i played SPM, it did went over the update procedure but very quickly, it does work fine though!
So if anyone id going to play it it may just work fine if the wii is up to date!

pckid2
April 12th, 2007, 16:10
I'm not using a region free patcher, the WiiKey's own region-free capabilities are fine.

slappy1
April 12th, 2007, 16:29
To clear this up, people who have been importing games are using a region-free patcher, which allows you to play PAL games on an NTSC console.

Inorder to play Super Paper Mario, you have to upgrade to the latest firmware. Using different region, the NTSC Wii updates to a PAL firmware and vice versa, which "bricks".

So if someone has an NTSC Wii that has been modded, will the NTSC Super Paper Mario brick this system when inserted? Or does this game's udate only brick a PAL Wii that has not been updated?

bmemike
April 12th, 2007, 16:54
The issue here isn't that it's modded. The issue is that a patch for a different version Wii is being applied. The fact that it's modded just means that some people have now been able to load out-of-region disks, which allows the unintended patch to be loaded.

Since this isn't something that an unmodded Wii would experience, it's like an edge case that N never tested for.

pckid2
April 12th, 2007, 17:01
Of course Nintendo will have to look into this when (and if, but they probably will) Datel finish their Wii Freeloader, a freeloader wouldn't void the warranty, so anyone who bricks their unmodded Wii whilst using a freeloader while still within their warranty would get Nintendo to replace it, and Ninty would have to do so and lose money...

-Xandu-
April 12th, 2007, 17:45
All I'm saying is do not update with a different region game disc (even if your modchip has region-free feature)

VampDude
April 13th, 2007, 01:15
lmao, my Wii will never brick...

...I'm buying games from my own region

tart31
April 13th, 2007, 06:31
what mod chip are peolple using to play it on a pal console

pckid2
April 13th, 2007, 11:27
I'm using WiiKey.