View Full Version : DS game to use 3D glasses

Shrygue
April 12th, 2007, 18:53
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161824)

Have you ever been to one of those 3D cinemas in which you wear a pair of special glasses that makes the on-screen action leap out at you? It's like something out of Back to the Future.

Now a new DS game, Glory Days 2, will use similar technology to make the on-screen graphics appear to stand out of the screen.

The 2D shooter, which bares some resemblance to old-time classic, Choplifter, will come packaged with a pair of 3D glasses that will make objects in the foreground stand out from the background.

It sounds cool, so we spoke to Ghostlight representative, Adrian Clews, who told us: "The game uses the Pufrich 3D effect to enhance the visual depth of the game."

It doesn't use those crappy red and blue glasses that used to come with sticker books, the glasses actually appear to be clear. "By placing a slightly darker shade over one eye, light reaches that eye slower than the other, causing the 3D effect - it's like a mind trick," explained Clews.

Glory Days 2, due out in early June, is an action shooter that puts you in control of land and air vehicles from WWII eras to the present day. You'll be blasting your way through 16 missions with fighter jets, helicopters and tanks and other weapons, and with up to 250 ground units operating simultaneously, it promises to be chaotic.

Wi-Fi multiplayer is also included, allowing two players to go head-to-head.

Is 3D-illusional graphics the future of games? Look out for more on Glory Days 2 next week on CVG.

backhair
April 12th, 2007, 19:43
as long as it doesn't look wonky without the glasses (or there is a glasses/no glasses setting), i think it's a pretty cool idea. kind of gimicky, but cool nonetheless.

Buddy4point0
April 12th, 2007, 19:48
wow that sounds really cool

KendiKong
April 12th, 2007, 19:54
HOLY **** a FPS?!?!?!? ON the DS?!?!?!

ComixSans
April 12th, 2007, 20:04
3d glasses of this type correct me if I'm wrong would require the view to be rotating around in a constant direction. this would have a dramatic afect on gameplay.

I'm not sure how they could get it to work can you imagen any game where the camera keeps spinning around the content in a set direction.

Thinking about it may work if it was 2d gameplay and the screen was constantly sliding in one direction. I bet thats how it works.

rigor
April 12th, 2007, 20:38
What ComixSans ? The camera spinning around ? No. 3D effects could even been done on New super mario bros for exemple.
The 3D effect is done by two cameras, each one render the scene for one eye. With the glasses, the two eyes will be tricked by the glasses, and you will see the game in 3D.
KendiKong: Did you read? It's not an FPS, "The 2D shooter, which bares some resemblance to old-time classic, Choplifter" OK ?

TeenDev
April 12th, 2007, 22:39
im sorry but that is such a dumb idea. why would you want to wear glasses while playing a game?

DanTheManMS
April 12th, 2007, 23:05
@max - Why would you want to wear glasses while watching a movie?

ShinMike
April 13th, 2007, 00:45
cause its trippy

ComixSans
April 13th, 2007, 01:10
Hi rigor I'll explain in more detail. The way this style of 3d works is one lens is darker so the eye see the image later than the other eye when the image is a 3d rotating image the delay results in one eye seeing the image at a different rotation to the other eye creating the illusion of 3d.
Its a very effective trick but requires the image to be contently moving in a certain way.

VampDude
April 13th, 2007, 01:36
3D glasses are cool, anyone remember playing Rad Racer on the NES with the 3D glasses?

I want 3D glasses when it comes out on Wii's Virtual Console (whenever that is?)

kcajblue
April 13th, 2007, 03:09
im sorry but that is such a dumb idea. why would you want to wear glasses while playing a game?at least they are trying more things with the DS.

rigor
April 13th, 2007, 16:15
Hi ComixSans,
maybe the game will have a lot of scrolling moving with 3d objects...

I like 3D Glasses, I have a pair of crappy 3D glasses blue/red stereo that I use sometimes to play my games on PC. You can download a plugin for NVidia cards that makes you able to play anygames with 3D glasses. For those who got Red/Blue one, check my few screenshots that I took : http://jeremizzz.free.fr/Gallery/Stereo/