PDA

View Full Version : help with tool-chain

canadianguy
April 12th, 2007, 18:56
i want to get started in dreamcast dev but no matter what i try, i cant seem to get the tool chain to work, i have tried to configure both cygwin and dev-c++ but it doesnt work, with cygwin i dont even understand what is wrong but with dev-c++ i cant find the recommended version (4.9.8) so i just went with the newest one and whatever i try to compile dosent work. can someone help me get a tool chain up and running?

ps: if you decide to help me i would appreciate it if you didnt make your explanation to confusing, i have programmed many times before but i am still only 14 so i may not understand some of it (though i will try to)

BB Hood
April 12th, 2007, 21:02
Visit this page: http://www.consolevision.com/?Dreamcast:Development:Under_Windows

Download:

Download DiscJuggler image (82MB) <--This
Download front cover <--Dont download

Previous versions: <--Dont download
Download R2 DiscJuggler image (230MB) <--Dont download
Download R1 ISO image (217MB) <--Dont download

Unzip the .rar

you should get a .cdi. Burn .cdi with a program called discjuggler or Alcohol 120% to a CD-R. Or you can mount it with Daemon tools(I dont know which version you will use). Maybe one of these http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon . After that something will pop up talking about setting up a DC Dev Environment. Follow the directions on every page. I suggest uninstalling cygwin and reinstalling it with the CD image you just download. This setup is very simple you should be able to handle it. I hope. It builds the tool-chain for you and everything will compile correctly(atleast the examples will). Goodluck.

P.S. Wow 14... Oh and use Google. Google is your friend and will help you findout how to do things.

canadianguy
April 13th, 2007, 05:09
i dont use dj to burn cdi files i use boot dreams but it should still work

and i did spend some time on google but i still did not find this, thanks man(or woman)

edit 1: i am installing it know, oh and so far i find the "you should be able to handle it" a bit insulting, a monkey could install this thing

edit: 2: it is installed, i guess now would be a good time to brush up on the little bit of c++ knowlege that i have (i am used to programing in more high level languages

canadianguy
April 13th, 2007, 05:42
sorry about the double post, but this dosent fit in with my last post

i know this will make me sound like a huge lamer, but what command do i put in the shell to compile the code(i found an example i want to try). sorry but i dont use a *nix of any sort (actually i fooled around with solaris once, but only for a little while)

BB Hood
April 13th, 2007, 18:12
You may find it insulting but other people have had problems...

The command you need is the word: make

canadianguy
April 13th, 2007, 18:23
it is giving me a command not found message when i try to compile something in cygwin

ps: what is the command structure and what flags should i use?

another ps: i just realized that this is the 15,000th post in the Dreamcast and Sega Saturn Consoles Discussion Forums, sweet!

BB Hood
April 13th, 2007, 18:47
I dont know what the command structure is or the flags. It is all done through "make files" and the environ.sh or whatever. You direct yourself towards the examples you want to compile then once in the directory you enter make. Here is an example:

ANDY@bbhood-pc /usr/local/dc/kos/kos
$ cd examples/dreamcast/tsunami/banner

ANDY@bbhood-pc /usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/tsunami/banner
$ make

canadianguy
April 13th, 2007, 18:53
Jason@sundin /usr/local/dc/kos/kos
$ cd examples

Jason@sundin /usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples
$ ls
Makefile dreamcast gba ps2

Jason@sundin /usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples
$ cd dreamcast

Jason@sundin /usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast
$ ls
2ndmix basic cpp kgl lua network png sound video
Makefile conio hello libdream modem parallax pvr tsunami vmu

Jason@sundin /usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast
$ cd tsunami

Jason@sundin /usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/tsunami
$ cd banner

Jason@sundin /usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/tsunami/banner
$ make
bash: make: command not found

Jason@sundin /usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/tsunami/banner
$

that is the ouput

BB Hood
April 13th, 2007, 19:39
In the third step of installing the Dreamcast Dev Environment did you click yes to all the questions?

EDIT: If this doesnt work you did not install the Dreamcast Dev Environment correctly.

canadianguy
April 14th, 2007, 04:47
maybe i will try r2, what is the difference from r3?

but i am pretty sure i installed it right, for step1 i downloaded the files to d:cygwin and installed them to c:cygwin. for step 2 i extracted it in c:cygwin and for step 3 i just presses yes.

canadianguy
April 17th, 2007, 19:07
I GOT IT WORKING!!!!
long story...